By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Discussion - When Will PS3 overtake 360 WW?

At the rate of how sony isnt thinking market-wise.

Never.

Around the Network

Thing really have changed after the earnings reports.

I would say 2010, unless PS3 receives a price cut and KZ2 actually shifts consoles in which case late 2009 is possible.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

wow how did i miss this thread in the fall... its amazing to see the changes in thoughts one holliday can cause

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

NintendoMan said:
I would say 2010, unless PS3 receives a price cut and KZ2 actually shifts consoles in which case late 2009 is possible.

2009 really?!? you expect MS not to do anything if sony suddenly made up that 8 million unit gap in say 8 months ... so you believe onto of its normal sales the PS3 will push an extra million or so to beat the 360... 

or is it you think the 360 will be discontinued in the next few weeks? thats some major news if true 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

how interesting...lol...change has come to amer..äh...consolewarz;)

"PS3 will overtake xbox360 in late 2009"- Pride goes before a fall.

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

NintendoMan said:

You understand that in order for it to be in 2009 KZ2 would have to shift 8 million consoles, right?

At least if we assume that the PS3 will sell as well as 2008, around 10 million consoles. And 2008 saw the release of MGS4, LBP, MS2, R2 and lots of great multiplats like GTA4 and Fallout 3, so it already was an amzing line-up for PS3.

Exclusives for 2009: KZ2, inFamous, Heavy Rain, MAG (unlikely: GT5 and GoW3). Without the last two the line-up for 2009 is (imo) worse than 2008 (still great, don't get me wrong). Final Fantasy in Japan will help sell some consoles as well, but I won't expect a million or more.

The release of GT5 and GoW3 in combination with a pricecut would absolutely help PS3, but even that won't help sell 8 million more than a year with so many great games as 2008.

I don't expect PS3 ever to pass the 360, because:

a) The potential market will get progressively more casual as the gen progresses, since hardcore gamers will buy early in the gen
b) 360 as the HD competitor will likely always be cheaper than PS3, while 90% of the library is the same.

But if 360 starts dropping of and PS3 will increase or remain stable it will be 2011 earliest.

2009 will require a miracle for Sony combined with freefall och Microsoft, willn not happen.

Pricecut will make Sony pick up the phase, but will make them gain max 3 million (if the cut is in early april) if MS doesn't do anything later on. The games seems good but GoW3 wonät make it and FF will maybe, and only, make it to Japan. 2008 wasn't a bad game year for Sony, peak of MGS 4 ( bigger then all titles 2009) and many old PS-brands (even if they went multi) plus a dose of good followups/new ip of PS3 brands.

I suspect 2011-2012 but when that time comes the PS4 will be out and so will Xbox XXX

Predictions for 2009:

360: 39-42 PS3: 31-34 Wii: 67-70

Future projection

Wii will hit 100 million before christmas 2010 (made december 2008)

NDS Family will have sold and shipped more then PS2 at the end of 2009 (made january 2009)

Sqrl said:

***Read Before Posting***

I noticed the prediction page was recently bumped on this matter and I started to look into the numbers with a particular interest in what progress the PS3 has made in catching up to the Xbox 360.

When looking over some of the predictions being made as well some of the comments I started to notice a pattern in which there seemed to be two entirely different views (not surprisingly).  However, in this case the numbers behind the predictions aren't as well documented or discussed as several other sales topics so I wanted to dig in and see what there was for support from the data.

Essentially the two views boil down like this (click to enlarge):

The PS3 Pessimist/360 Optimist sees things like this....

But the PS3 Optimist/360 Pessimist sees things more like this...

And finally a more neutral view...

So the question is simple, which view do you believe in/support, and why?

I have some pretty strong feelings about which is more meaningful, but I'll leave it open to discussion for the time being so I don't bias the discussion before it starts. 

Also if someone feels their view is not represented please feel free to make a graph of your own and share it with us (MSPaint Crayon-style graphs are fine~).

PS - Click here to enter a prediction.

I noticed the charts are missing Nov and Dec 2008 were the 360 opened even a bigger lead on the PS3

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

ps3 will never catch up 360. definitively.