By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Discussion - When Will PS3 overtake 360 WW?

Dark Chaos said:
Looks like never. How the tides have changed

Never at any time that matters. If the 360 stopped selling today, it'd take most of a year for the PS3 to catch up. Given the way the consoles have alternated leads, and the marginal sales advantage MS has despite a large price difference, I don't expect the 360 to pull away any time. The 360 is also at a point where the price cuts have had their maximum impact - future cuts will help, but likely not as much as the last one. The PS3's still got plenty of room to cut (when they can afford it), and likely can expect proportionately larger gains. Therefore the odds are good the differences in lifetime sales won't change dramatically from where they are now. Presumably the 360 will stop production before the PS3, and the 720 hit the market before the PS4, so the odds are the PS3 will get at least a year "to itself" in which it will probably be able to catch the 360.

Though, again, at that point no one will care.

Around the Network
misterd said:
Dark Chaos said:
Looks like never. How the tides have changed

Never at any time that matters. If the 360 stopped selling today, it'd take most of a year for the PS3 to catch up. Given the way the consoles have alternated leads, and the marginal sales advantage MS has despite a large price difference, I don't expect the 360 to pull away any time. The 360 is also at a point where the price cuts have had their maximum impact - future cuts will help, but likely not as much as the last one. The PS3's still got plenty of room to cut (when they can afford it), and likely can expect proportionately larger gains. Therefore the odds are good the differences in lifetime sales won't change dramatically from where they are now. Presumably the 360 will stop production before the PS3, and the 720 hit the market before the PS4, so the odds are the PS3 will get at least a year "to itself" in which it will probably be able to catch the 360.

Though, again, at that point no one will care.

I was talking about the bigger picture. How badly SONY has fallen. The fact that a couple years ago even a 360 fanboy would have expected the PS3 to outsell it. But since its release it hasn't come close. While many might blame the price its because of features that many didn't need and all SONY's fault.

THe 360 will always be atleast $150 cheaper cause if a PS3 can sell for $300 with all its features I am sure the arcade can sell for $150. From the glory days of the PS2 to now. No matter what happens SONY will have lost and MS wil have achieved their goal. Well alteast SONY doesn't seem to think they are losing well atleast Kaz doesn't think so.

lmao@ this thread

never is the only answer. It would require a massive pricecut and well...don't see that happening anymore in 2009.

why this thread is still here?

I don't think ps3 can catch up, sony company is in the red, ps3 can't afford a price cut maybe until 2010. and I'm sure when sony finally drop the price xbox 360 will do the same.

ps3 maybe by fall 2011, october . not a chance in hell before that.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

I don't think it ever will. In America the gap is not only sizable, but growing. In Europe they are neck and neck, and in Japan PS3 sales have been sluggish, 360 in Japan is....Also the 360 is a moving target and every week, month, and year that it outsells the PS3 or even in the case of ps3 outselling the 360 the amount is not sizeable enough to really cut deeply into its' lead.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I won't answer the question right now (going to sleep soon) but instead I'll say that all of the graphs in the original post are right. I believe there isn't a single right way to look at the situation as a whole, at least for now.

hpsack said:
well it's my first predictions in this site, Christmas 09 PS3 will overtake XBOX360

It is good that your first prediction is horribly wrong.

Well, for it to happen at this point before 2011, either Sony will need to do something massive, or the 360 will have to die out.

If MS announces a new console in 2010, then I could see the PS3 passing the 360 a few months before the 720 comes out. However, if by then, the PS4 isn't coming out, then Sony can pretty much kiss the next generation goodbye. They can't live off brand anymore after this generations debacle, and they will never be able to overcome a year headstart from a real competitor after this gen.

Things are grim for Sony, to be honest. The best they can hope for is a backdoor second place at the cost of significant headway in the future generation. The PS3, at this point, will never be the PS2. It simply can't take off the way that console did. It will never have the software advantage of the PS2, and it certainly doesn't have the word of mouth, brand recognition, or popularity.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Fumanchu said:
makingmusic476 said:
Fumanchu said:
With the current gap of 5.57million - for it to outsell it by the end of 2009 would mean it would have to outsell the 360 every week by 107,115.....i can't see it happening that quickly.

The holidays, my friend. The holidays.

If the ps3 gains some serious ground over the 360 next year, then it could outsell the 360 by as much as 250k a week over the '09 holiday season.

Now that's something I can't see happening.  I don't believe Microsoft would let their lead be frittered away so easily, they'd sooner take a loss and increase marketshare than go down like that.

Depends on what you count as holiday. If you just count 4 weeks December, that's possible. I see the Wii outselling the Ps3 by 850K weekly for that period this year (just to give a perspective).

For 9 weeks November + December, I doubt it though.

Wow.... That was pretty far off.

Actual difference for the 4 weeks: 3750K

I also wonder how I managed to get 150K * 2 to be 310K...

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS