By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - What can we do to improve VG Chartz?

ioi said:
Well that is what we have at the moment

Oh ok.  Well then...I'm just mad because people find ways to join the site and spam when they get banned.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
KruzeS said:
ioi said:

The forum isn't all that different to vbulletin phpbb and so on. Even if I installed a custom forum such as that I would block most of the features. I like the fact this forum is simple and totally integrated into the site. What is wrong with the search? Timezones are something I keep meaning to add, ignoring users and rating users I don't want to go down, editing of thread titles and so on do need attending to when I get chance. Overall I can't really see what the forum is lacking.

I don't want to derrail this further if you think it's off topic, so short response.

What I miss in search is the stuff usually available under "advanced search": searching by post, or by thread; using boolean operators in search; searching by poster; searching by time; combining all this stuff up.

Far more useful than that (everyone I know uses this stuff), is the "new posts" search usually avalable, that shows all posts since the last login. And then, there's the even more advanced ways to track threads one has or hasn't read.

These would go a long way into making the forum experience better. Integrating news comments, etc, into this would help get all these features there as well.

KruzeS' suggestions are full of unlimited awesome and superior win.

Dolla Dolla said:

KruzeS' suggestions are full of unlimited awesome and superior win.

Thanks. There's a last one I forgot, that comes associated with searches, and new posts, and stuff, which is jumping directly into said posts in any given thread. But I won't spam the thread any further. Only new ideas like feeds from here on, I promise!

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
ioi said:

3. The rich text editor is now part of the site and is here to stay I'm afraid. I will keep getting the latest updates for it and will experiment with it but if you want to just do a simple text reply you can use the box at the bottom of each thread.

Why?  I understand that you want to keep it, but why force us to use when there obviously people that hate it.  when I'm just using a normal reply and can use the text box at the bottom of the page it's fine, but when I want to quote or edit it just sucks.  The method you use for quoting is terrible.  The forced line break is annoying.  The random backspacing issue is terrible.  I just hate the Rich Text Reply.  would it really be that hard ot give us the option to not use it or turn off the auto formatting?

Before when you guys had console sale data they were in lists instead of charts, or are those coming back soon?

Around the Network

First ioi...please excuse my behavior this past couple of hours sorry about that...but to be honest I would expect to have a chat room, being able to post music, extend the server...because when it exceeds 1,000 it bogs down quite alot...but as far as the presentation goes its excellent...

ioi said:
twesterm, I'm still confused about some of what you are saying.

In order to edit or quote, you need to use the rich text editor- what if the post you are quoting or editing has a video / image / table or whatever in it?

Let's get another thing straight, I didn't write the editor, it is an off the shelf one I found (a large and very popular one by the sound of it). What do you mean by a forced line break, if you mean double line spacing then try shift+enter. Random backspacing I'm also a little confused about - if you want to know what is going on look at the indicator tag at the bottom of the editor. If you are familiar with html it wil tell you whether you are within a < p > tag or table tags or whatever.

Then people keep saying auto-formatting, how is it auto formatting, you mean things like coding URLs and stuff like that?

I apologize, it sounded as though from other posts that this was all custom.  Still though, I just hate the Rich Text Reply.

For editing, when you press edit can't we just see the tags (HTML or BBC--don't care)?  I imagine the people that want the option to skip the rich text reply wouldn't care about seeing the tags and using that.

For the forced line break thing, I mean exactly what shift+enter fixes.  After someone told me about that it's one of those things I don't mind but would still rather have without if at all possible.

I'm a little confused on the random backspacing thing too because I can't always reproduce it.  I know others have experienced it because I've heard other people talk about it.  What happens is when typing a word and you decide you don't want to type that word or whatever and you start backspacing.  When you get to the first letter in the word, you backspace over that letter and then backspace the space before that letter too.  I can't tell you just how frustrating that is.  And like I said, it's not something I can reliably reproduce.

When I say auto formatting, I mean the stuff I'm talking about above.

One other thing that bothers me about the Rich Text reply box is that my Firefox2 spell checker doesn't work unless I right click and tell it to spell check.  Even then, it doesn't spell check stuff I typed before turning it all the time.  I'm not always the best typist and I really hate typos and I love having FireFox spell check my posts. 

-edit-
I thought I had found out when the backspace issue happens, but I was wrong.  I thought it happened maybe when you right click and turn on the Firefox 2 spell check but that apparently isn't it.

No offense ioi but those banners in your sig are f'ugly. Maybe I'm just being color blind but slate-grey with darker grey console names isn't very eye-catching, which is the whole point of the banners.

DKII said:
No offense ioi but those banners in your sig are f'ugly. Maybe I'm just being color blind but slate-grey with darker grey console names isn't very eye-catching, which is the whole point of the banners.

Have to agree. The background looks like it has been through a low-quality png->jpg converter.

Make some nicer grey gradients for the background?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

We just took out all the grey from the site, why keep 'em in the front charts, make 'em the same light blue or something.