By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - What can we do to improve VG Chartz?

ioi said:
We're not interested in shipped numbers and I don't know on a weekly basis what the shipped numbers are. I don't really see the point of adding them as they are pretty meaningless?

The point was to show why the difference between what others are claiming as sales vs. what VGChartz claims as sales.  The shipping numbers could be as simple as extracting what the companies financials report as the shipping numbers and then projecting them for the next quarter based on what the company says they will ship next quarter / breaking it up into weeks if you want to keep those numbers on weekly, although I would think a "shipped as of " and the date you have recorded would be sufficient for this purpose.  Anyway, I can see you're against the idea so no big deal.

Around the Network

ioi.....I'm loving the front page man....gosh when I signed in it just surprised the heck out of me!!!!! O_O

ioi said:
The server hasn't been slow for a couple of weeks now. We upgraded and I've done a lot of optimisation so things run a lot faster now. It's a chicken and egg thing with the server, I need to guarantee 1000+ people online all the time to justify making a big step with servers.

AT the time of this post....

Users online: 557 (109 Members, 448 Guests)

She's crawling a bit, so I think 750+ online all the time is when you should consider it.  1k+ will just piss a lot of people off when we can't get anywhere. 

One of the things that this website has is a bunch of people with a lot of creativity and energy. The downside of this is that this energy is frequently turned into trolling when people get bored.

I think that this website should have an IP ban, and I realize that there are ways to cheat the system, but I also think that it would cut down on the aggravation caused by a small minority of the users here.

In general I think that a good way to improve this website is to try to let the people that can get on our nerves ( cough cough kwaad & gball) but who a lot of us actually like, that we don't appreciate the trolling. I'm a big PS3 fan, so I should probably speak up if or when I see some of the PS3 fans being trollish. It would be great to see some of you 360/Wii fans do the same to the trolls that appreciate your console as well.

Also, I am thinking about just buying some software that can track things like how many users are visiting a website, are participating, clicking on ads, and things like that. If ioi wants, it would be interesting to see what different things we could do with the advertising for example, or how best to optimize the issue of the website's speed versus the cost needed to make it quicker,  just things like that to make this website more profitable but i'm sure that i'll be able to talk with somebody about that sometime.

Around the Network

alright ioi...thats enough experminting for today....its a beautiful sight now...its really excellent on the eyes...O_O

I like the new look as well...love the sharp look to the logo at top

It just occurred to me that certain smaller retail chains might be interested in getting free advertising on this site in exchange for releasing some retail data once a week.  Gamestop/EB games might do it if you talk to the right people and impress upon them the number of hits you get each day.  With their data, you really would have a much larger sample to work with.  I realize it's a major policital/business battle to pull it off, but they might be interested in a trial run with a promo or something coming directly from this site.  Sometimes being entrepreneurial can pay off.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

ioi the site is bogging now with 1,618 users online...u said it wouldnt and it is...

NOW ITS FREAKIN 2,000 USERS!!!!!