By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshinori Ono: "PS3 shaders make Street Fighter 4 hard to Port"

For the record:

This game is not a port from 360 to PS3, or PS3 to 360. It's a port from Arcade to both. They've had playable arcade units for a long time.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:

^Because you criticized one of the worst UI on one of the worst OS ever created you somehow think you aren't biased? For every one of those I can show you 10 anti-sony posts that are full of crap.

"...Prediction ; LBP will be like Haze in terms of hype 2 days before release, user feedback 2 days after release."

Enough said... and I didn't need to click to your post history.

Well, now you've just made yourself look stupid.

1. A prediction is a prediction, I stand by it. LBP isn't officially released worldwide yet and I believe it will burn in flames like Haze did. Its my opinion and I don't ever post about it. You try reading some other peoples sigs, mine is pretty tame in comparison!

2. It makes no difference what I've posted if it is backed up by educated opinion, which it ALWAYS is. I never make flat assertions based on my biased point of view. I base it on the reality. I post a lot of negative sony stuff because Sony are a joke and have squandered their lead, their respect and a lot of their brand image. They have a console that is more than twice the price of an Xbox 360 and 95% of its games are the same or worse than the Xbox 360.

Quite a lot of people agree with this way of thinking I think you will find.

I'm just making this post to answer YOUR question, to explain my negative Sony posts. I call a spade a spade. If MS started releasing crappy watered down multiplatform games I would be saying EXACTLY the same, I swar on it!

I live in a world not restriced by money, I'm loaded with money, I can get what I want. So I'm not burdened by the poor decision I made having to justify it daily.

I'm off to have a cup of coffee. I don't see why people need to be so rude about these things! People talk shit and it comes back to bite them in the end, I'm just saying how it is straight from the horses mouth - THE DEVELOPER in this thread.

What more am I supposed to do?

I'm not here to make you all cream yourselves at what an amazing purchase you made, I'm here to debate and ask questions that need answering and I find interesting. If I come across rude, well, what can I say? Try not being so narrow minded and take what I say in the spirit it was intended....

Good old fashioned non politically correct debate.

Burgles said:
Max King of the Wild said:

^Because you criticized one of the worst UI on one of the worst OS ever created you somehow think you aren't biased? For every one of those I can show you 10 anti-sony posts that are full of crap.

"...Prediction ; LBP will be like Haze in terms of hype 2 days before release, user feedback 2 days after release."

Enough said... and I didn't need to click to your post history.

Well, now you've just made yourself look stupid.

1. A prediction is a prediction, I stand by it. LBP isn't officially released worldwide yet and I believe it will burn in flames like Haze did. Its my opinion and I don't ever post about it. You try reading some other peoples sigs, mine is pretty tame in comparison!

2. It makes no difference what I've posted if it is backed up by educated opinion, which it ALWAYS is. I never make flat assertions based on my biased point of view. I base it on the reality. I post a lot of negative sony stuff because Sony are a joke and have squandered their lead, their respect and a lot of their brand image. They have a console that is more than twice the price of an Xbox 360 and 95% of its games are the same or worse than the Xbox 360.

Quite a lot of people agree with this way of thinking I think you will find.

I'm just making this post to answer YOUR question, to explain my negative Sony posts. I call a spade a spade. If MS started releasing crappy watered down multiplatform games I would be saying EXACTLY the same, I swar on it!

I live in a world not restriced by money, I'm loaded with money, I can get what I want. So I'm not burdened by the poor decision I made having to justify it daily.

I'm off to have a cup of coffee. I don't see why people need to be so rude about these things! People talk shit and it comes back to bite them in the end, I'm just saying how it is straight from the horses mouth - THE DEVELOPER in this thread.

What more am I supposed to do?

I'm not here to make you all cream yourselves at what an amazing purchase you made, I'm here to debate and ask questions that need answering and I find interesting. If I come across rude, well, what can I say? Try not being so narrow minded and take what I say in the spirit it was intended....

Good old fashioned non politically correct debate.

you know... i was cracking up while reading point one... but one i got to point to i almost suffucated because i was laughing so hard i couldn't breath... if you back everything up with facts and non biased opinions.... why do you have numerous bans from trolling the ps3? anyways i stopped reading there and i wont even bother reading the crud you spew from your mouth because you obviously have no clue what your saying.

And btw LBP has already sold more than Haze in NA alone week one...

And you still ignore the fact that it isn't the sites pro sony slant but the "horses mouth" quote.

Jordahn said:
Madanial said:
If things still become like this(PS3 version harder to make than Xbox360).
I think in the future we'll see more and more multiplatform release on Xbox360 and Wii before PS3 ,or they gotta spend more time to make PS3 version before release all at once.

But i think this problem can be fixed if Sony make software or hardware that'll be able to make developers create PS3 games more easier.

I think we can all agree that the PS3 architecture is harder because of its unfamiliarity.  But if you watch the video interview, you'll find that things worked out fine.

Part of it is unfamiliarity, part of it is architecture, part of it involves tradeoffs.  You can't develop a single architecture that is the best at solving every possible software problem, so you decide which problems are the most important to solve for the given application(s), and you focus on those.  The inky appearance the dev was shooting for is more challenging on the PS3 because of the shader architecture and their unfamiliarity with it.  I'm sure there are types of graphics objectives that would be more difficult to achieve on the 360 due to the architecture there, as well.

I find the thread interesting because it does point out that no single architecture can be the best at everything.  Crays make crappy hand-held calculators.

Burgles said:
Jordahn said:
Burgles said:

http://www.qj.net/Yoshinori-Ono-video-interview-new-PS3-shaders-make-Street-Fighter-4-hard-to-port/pg/49/aid/125597

"Capcom already has a lot of background when it comes to pulling realistic images out of the PS3, but the more artistic feel of Street Fighter 4 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360) is giving game designer Yoshinori Ono and his team a hard time. One thing that particularly gave them trouble was getting some of the more artistic shaders of the PS3 to work properly for the game's "inky" graphics effect. Ono called it a "one-two combo", referring to both the new shaders and the new architecture."

So, does this mean Street Fighter 4 will be a port of the Xbox 360 version?

Will the PS3 be getting yet another inferior port, with the cheaper Xbox 360 trumping it in the graphics department yet again. Die hard PS3 fans have been declaring the two consoles as equals as far as muliplatform titles are concerned. It would appear that this is not the case yet. Which begs the question...Will they ever be equals while the Xbox 360 exisits. If the famed creators of the Street Fighter franchise can't get to grips with the "superior" PS3...

Who can?

Trolling. Left this out to paint a false picture by taking things out of context..

"No worries, though. Ono reassured PS3 owners that the game's PS3 version is definitely 'on the right track.' According to Ono, 'it doesn't matter what hardware it's running on. It's Street Fighter 4.'"

Yes that was a very important paragraph......NOT!!!!

That paragraph was PURE SLANT, from a biased PS3 site centred site. It was

"No worries, though. Ono reassured PS3 owners that the game's PS3 version is definitely 'on the right track.' According to Ono, 'it doesn't matter what hardware it's running on. It's Street Fighter 4.'"

Who cares that he said, "don't worry it'll be fine, its street fighter 4 after all"....Does that REALLY mean ANYTHING?

The answer is NO. He's not exactly going to say...."Yeah sure it's gonna be shit, I wouldn't buy it".

This is big news, and you lot just don't like it. Tough luck, its real.

If it's from a biased PS3 site, why did you posted anything from it in the first place because that paragraph was from the same article you posted from?  And maybe it is biased, but if it is, it's from Ono's translated words.  You cannot pick and choose info to fuel your agendas.  But I agree that this is big news because Ono said that Street Fighter 4 is coming along nicely on the PS3 at the very least after they have accomplished to learn how to employ this inky effect on the PS3 version as a playable version on the game show.  Good stuff.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

I hope Sony puts this game on the PSN.

Maybe the should talk to Sega about the shaders because Valkyria Chronicles looks amazing.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

dbot said:
Maybe the should talk to Sega about the shaders because Valkyria Chronicles looks amazing.

Agreed, many review sites do state that the water paint/pencil effect is quite unique.

Good to see this site is still going 

Sorry, posted in a wrong thread.

There's too many inaccuracies in my about "me" to clear up but I'll try a couple...

"And didn't you make that thread saying you hated all games on the PS3 and that you hated it more than any other console?"

No I didn't.

"It's not the website's slant, they quoted him. HE SAID IT. You can't just leave out an entire paragraph because it disagrees with the point you are trying to make. Of course he's not going to say that it will be a piece of shit, because that wouldn't be very good for marketing, would it? But at the same time, if the problem was that serious, would he TELL people about it?"

He only said about 6 words - "It will be ok, Its SF4" - The person reporting the news said the rest. I'm not going to post what the news reporter thought. THAT would be biased.

"Also, wtf is with your prediction? Because Haze got JUST as much love as LBP did from reviewers. Because Haze sold over 100k copies before it was released. Because Haze is considered a contender for game of the year."

Its all hype and the reviewers were too scared to give it crap marks. Its a level maker in my opinion and will be forgotten about very soon. As I said, its a PREDICTION, there's nothing wrong with being wrong! Thats why it's called a "PREDICTION", not a "FACT".

"If it's from a biased PS3 site, why did you posted anything from it in the first place because that paragraph was from the same article you posted from?"

I posted the paragraph that was actually talking about what Yoshinori said, that Capcom were having problems with the shaders on SF4 on the PS3 version. The last paragraph was the reporters biased "everything will be fine" take on it. Like I've already said.

"But at the same time, if the problem was that serious, would he TELL people about it?"

No he wouldn't, blind fanboyism and hope would say otherwise. Also, it looks like he HAS told us about it in about as explicit way a possible without totally destroying the hype for his game.

"And maybe it is biased, but if it is, it's from Ono's translated words. You cannot pick and choose info to fuel your agendas. But I agree that this is big news because Ono said that Street Fighter 4 is coming along nicely on the PS3 at the very least after they have accomplished to learn how to employ this inky effect on the PS3 version as a playable version on the game show. Good stuff"

You just sound like the reporter of that site. You can't ASSUME something is going ok without hard facts, why would this Yoshinori be saying they were having problems - if they weren't?

They would have to be pretty big problems for him to say something, but I'm not saying that it will cause a problem in the final output. I'm saying that this multiplat problem is still continuing.

"I find the thread interesting because it does point out that no single architecture can be the best at everything. Crays make crappy hand-held calculators"

And games ;) (jk)

"you know... i was cracking up while reading point one... but one i got to point to i almost suffucated because i was laughing so hard i couldn't breath... if you back everything up with facts and non biased opinions.... why do you have numerous bans from trolling the ps3? anyways i stopped reading there and i wont even bother reading the crud you spew from your mouth because you obviously have no clue what your saying."

Thats just insulting, I have reported news that is true and backed up by quotes\evidence. Then offered my take on it as everyone does when they post news. My take is an pesimistic one, but not an unrealistic one. Its not wishful thinking...We have had countless multiplats that are inferior on the PS3 - Its not my problem you're in denial and chose to insult me instead of backing YOUR statments up.

Again, I challenge you to take ANY one of my previous posts and look for ubsubstantiated claims\fanboy remarks.

I critize the PS3 because there is a lot to critisize as I have already laid out, this piece of "news" just being the latest in a long line of failings in the design\architechture\attitude of the PS3 console and buisness.