By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yoshinori Ono: "PS3 shaders make Street Fighter 4 hard to Port"

Groucho said:

I don't know if anyone realizes this, but the PS3's shader architecture is practically identical to a NVidia 7800 GTX.

If they're "having trouble" writing shaders for it... they need to hire some graphics programmers from... anywhere? ...any graphics programmers would probably do. NVidia's 7000-series architecture isn't exactly rare or uncommon -- as a matter of fact, "praised" would probably be the word that describes NVidia's architecture, for the most part.

I don't think so. Graphics programmers write the same code. It is GPU problem how this code will be executed.

Around the Network

Capcom should give Insomniac a call :)

Branko2166 said:

While they're at it they can debate who's better at milking their own franchises.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Branko2166 said:

While they're at it they can debate who's better at milking their own franchises.

WoW (no pun intended)

Your R+C hate as of late is scary.  It's an awesome franchise, non-milked too!

DMeisterJ said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Branko2166 said:

WoW (no pun intended)

How can you say no pun intended when you capitalize the second W? 

And I don't hate R&C.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
DMeisterJ said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Branko2166 said:

WoW (no pun intended)

How can you say no pun intended when you capitalize the second W? 

And I don't hate R&C.

Well, I know you don't hate it, but you were talking about that, correct?

DMeisterJ said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Branko2166 said:

WoW (no pun intended)

How is it non-milked DMJ? They've released like 7 or 8 games in a span of about 6 years. People always talk shit about Nintendo and Mario, but R+C is getting the same treatment. I'm not saying the games are bad but I will say they should slow the pace down before people stop caring.

xeroxm3 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Branko2166 said:

WoW (no pun intended)

How is it non-milked DMJ? They've released like 7 or 8 games in a span of about 6 years. People always talk shit about Nintendo and Mario, but R+C is getting the same treatment. I'm not saying the games are bad but I will say they should slow the pace down before people stop caring.

It's been 4 critically-acclaimed Console games, one PSN game, and a game not even made by them over the last eight or nine years.  That's not milking.  That's one R + C for every two years.

DMeisterJ said:
xeroxm3 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Branko2166 said:

WoW (no pun intended)

It's been 4 critically-acclaimed Console games, one PSN game, and a game not even made by them over the last eight or nine years.  That's not milking.  That's one R + C for every two years.

Actually, here is what we have...

PS2 : Ratchet & Clank, Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, Deadlock (Deathmatches), and Size Matters.  (4 full games, 1 PSP port)

PSP: Size Matters, Agent Clank. (2 full games)

PS3 : Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty (1 full game, 1 "mini" game)

Because the games span over three formats and one of those games is a port, I don't quite see this as milking.  Now I think Deadlock can be seen as milking, but it's just one game for now.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

misteromar mk4 said:
CGI-Quality said:
@ misteromar

Care to define for us this “bad architecture” you speak of, clearly you must not have played too many PS3 exclusives, which have already shown what PS3 architecture can do. So, by all means, please explain to us this “bad tech of the PS3” that u speak of.

"Cell"cpu

- Difficult to program for -- ALL software has to be optimized
- Poor single thread performance
- NO hardware Branch prediction, Extremely poor at running complicated branched code (like A.I. code)

RAM

- Its split in 2, 256mb cpu, 256 gpu, better to have it unified so the devs choose how to split, 50:50, 30:70 etc etc

Sure the ps3 is more powerful, but it may take twice as long and cost twice as much, for only a 10% increase in qaulity over what can be done on the xbox.

I think of all of the comments regarding the differences in architecture between the 2 systems, it is this oversimplification about the memory layout that bothers me the most.  To say that it is better to provide developers a unified memory stack rather than allocating memory specifically for the cpu and gpu without taking into account important variables such as memory speed and bus architecture is naive to say the least.

Let's say I have 2 computers.  One is less expensive with an onboard video chipset that shares video memory with the main memory pool, and the other computer has a video card with dedicated onboard memory that does not use memory from the general pool.  Can you tell me which computer will run games better?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.