By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yawn... Another multiplat with lower resolution on PS3 -> Bioshock.

dbot said:
Darc Requiem said:
dbot said:
NNN2004 said:

dbot said:

You forgot to post that Far Cry 2 runs in a higher native resolution on the PS3 than on the 360. This was reported by Quaz51.

http://talkplaystation.com/far-cry-2-runs-at-a-higher-native-resolution-on-ps3/

You guys should stop your "technical discussions" regarding the specs and advantages of one console over the other. There is plenty of information published by sites on the web that have people that actually can understand these specs. We no longer need to discuss the power of each system in theoretical terms, just look at the quality of exclusives on each system and you will see the differences.

and whats about this

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/10/24/far-cry-2-on-sony-ps3-apparently-its-lacking/

i found this link inside ur link.

That proves the point right?  These minor resolution differences do not mean anything.  GTA ran at a lower resolution on the PS3, but most reviewers and even the developer preferred the PS3 version of the game.  I will take a stable framerate over a few extra native pixels everytime.

The native resolution is not an indication of anything.  A lower native resolution can allow a developer to add effects, improve the framerate, etc.  Developers may be more comfortable with the PS3's scaling than the 360's.  These threads are pointless fanboy traps.

Erm, you said that the PS3 version of Far Cry 2 had a higher native resolution than the 360 version. In actuality the 360 version at 960x1080 has a higher native resolution than the PS3 version at 1280x720. How does your initial point being false prove your point?

PS3 version of Far Cry 2 is running at 960*1080p(1,036,800 native pixels) as opposed to 1280*720p (921,600 native pixels).

Actually we are both wrong. The game runs at 1274x692 on both consoles.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1231901&postcount=1372

Around the Network
dbot said:
Darc Requiem said:
dbot said:
NNN2004 said:

dbot said:

You forgot to post that Far Cry 2 runs in a higher native resolution on the PS3 than on the 360. This was reported by Quaz51.

http://talkplaystation.com/far-cry-2-runs-at-a-higher-native-resolution-on-ps3/

You guys should stop your "technical discussions" regarding the specs and advantages of one console over the other. There is plenty of information published by sites on the web that have people that actually can understand these specs. We no longer need to discuss the power of each system in theoretical terms, just look at the quality of exclusives on each system and you will see the differences.

and whats about this

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/10/24/far-cry-2-on-sony-ps3-apparently-its-lacking/

i found this link inside ur link.

That proves the point right?  These minor resolution differences do not mean anything.  GTA ran at a lower resolution on the PS3, but most reviewers and even the developer preferred the PS3 version of the game.  I will take a stable framerate over a few extra native pixels everytime.

The native resolution is not an indication of anything.  A lower native resolution can allow a developer to add effects, improve the framerate, etc.  Developers may be more comfortable with the PS3's scaling than the 360's.  These threads are pointless fanboy traps.

Erm, you said that the PS3 version of Far Cry 2 had a higher native resolution than the 360 version. In actuality the 360 version at 960x1080 has a higher native resolution than the PS3 version at 1280x720. How does your initial point being false prove your point?

PS3 version of Far Cry 2 is running at 960*1080p(1,036,800 native pixels) as opposed to 1280*720p (921,600 native pixels).

960*1080 is an inferior resolution to 1280*720

It might have more pixels, but our output devices aren't square and this resolution was used just so that the game can properly support 1080i because the PS3 doesn't have a hardware scaler like the 360 does.

So you've got 960 pixels on the horizontal and 1080 on the vertical......Uhhhhhhhhh ok! YUCK.

Also, Far Cry 2 is cropped in widescreen mode so those 1080 vertical pixels are being wasted even more.

Just read post above mine, ignore :)

NNN2004 said:
NNN2004 said:
gebx said:
These threads won't stop till people can admit that the 360 is more powerful then the PS3.

Blu Ray is the only advantage for the PS3 and the Cell is a failure.

Proof - Multiplatform resolutions

/Sarcasm (maybe)

the 360 have 512Mb ram while the Ps3 have 256Mb & we all know that Xenos Gpu better than Rsx  also from what i heard before the Cell is not proved for games. 

this is from 1UP its about the GPU 

summary:
The Xenox, built ground up by ATI, is capable of using today's graphic's engines to make some amazing looking screens with 10 mb of memory dedicated to 4x Anit-Aliasing (smoothing of jagged lines) at no cost to graphics horsepower. 332 Million transistors and 48 pipelines allow for lots of texturing, able to be flexible enough to do geometries (not currently the case) or pixels (much more used currently, especially by the Unreal engine, which is licensed for use the the vast majority of game developers) as needed. The GPU is linked very closely to the CPU, and is able to shift 512 mb of RAM towards either as needed.

The RSX is based on the G70 and is a card that was implimented late in the game when the cell could not handle graphics processing as was assumed it could (whether due to programming difficulty or simply too much drain on resources). The differences as noted above amount to a lessened memory bandwidth versus the 7800GTX PC cards. This will cause more reliance on the Cells Memory controller and memory banks (which causes a major problem in high detail at 1080p, which is why you are seeing the majority of PS3 games running 720 best frame rates ( True ).
300.4 million transistors and 36 piplines, 24 and 12 dedicated, versus 332 million (that is with the skimping due to unified pipelines, normally 48 pipelines would use a heck of alot more) and 48 pipelines, combined with 512 system memory and 10 mb dedicated 4x AA = roughly 522mb that could be used for graphics (more realistically about 386-412mb for pure graphics due to other needs), versus the 256 mb dedicated in the PS3 just allows for a more powerful GPU on the 360.

and this is the link: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5799836&bId=7967278

Yes, certainly!

For this reason GT5 runs at 1080p and 60fps with the best graphics of this next-gen.

In addition, Wipeout HD, NBA09 The Inside and others games run at 1080p and 60fps. Uncharted is also the second game with the best graphics of this next-gen, behind GT5.

Do not read more stupid and fake hardware review, play games and watch with your eyes.

Squilliam said:

According to a few pixel counters *Not official Quaz51 material*

Bioshock PS3 runs at ~1200 by 675 vs 1280 by 720 for the Xbox 360.

~810,000 pixels vs 921,600 or a 14% difference.

Yay, an unequal port produce by the makers of another unequal port (Dark Sector).

Kinda lets you know how 2k? Take 2? LOL whichever thought about the port.

In other news, LBP is gonna be huge.

PS3 version has better textures according IGN, thanks to blu-ray.

However I believe my Full HD TV that marks 720p.

Around the Network
Mendicate Bias said:
Reasonable said:

Yawn... another Squilliam 'have a go' thread... why not explain why Halo 3, a huge big budget exclusive built from the ground up for 360 couldn't manage 720p instead?

The budget was around $30 million although it's substantialy higher if you include advertising, but that money doesn't go into game development.

If you ever played the first Halo you would know the horrible framerate issues the game could have and since then Bungie has made it one of their priorities to keep the framerate locked and steady. Having played 4 player co-op and large 16 player matches I have never experienced any framerate issues whatsoever. I'm sure bungie deemed it appropriate to lower the resolution slightly in order to keep the framerate steady.

The real question is why the PS3 the widley touted stronger console cant match the specs of its weaker counter-part. Despite your name you sure do seem to show a PS3 bias...

I have never shown any PS3 bias (if I was going to be biased it would be to PC gaming, particularly for FPS)

Second, anyone with a degree of wit would realise I was pointing out that 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'...  many games on both consoles have made comprimises to get decent performance, so there's no point trying to score points on one over the other... unless you're a fanboy that is with real bias.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Asmo said:
Garnett said:
Asmo said:
Garnett said:

Also the tech was made when the PS3 was announced and the hardware is know,if you dont believe me look it up and post a better source,ill be waiting,and not wikipedia.

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2417&p=4

Just to show the wrong clock info.

WOW 50MHZ DIFFERENCE,THE 360 STILL WINS IN MOST CASES,FACE IT THE 360 GPU IS STRONGER,now *erm*

And you apparently don't know how to read so I'll put my message again.

"Well 50 MHz is sure not much difference. The GPU clock is basically the only thing I know about the RSX, what annoys me is that if there's a mistake on something so basic, how can we be sure there is no mistake on something else?

That's why I was wondering where you took this from."

I provided a proof that your specs infos are partially wrong, now you have to proove me that the rest is right...

No,you proved that 1 part of mine was WRONG,not all of i,and i knew that it was wrong but i was too lazy to correct it(to read thru it all and correct 1 minor part)Second if you cant post any tech specs of the PS3 gpu against my arguement you fail!!

So either find a link that proves that im wrong or accept it,And just to prove you wrong even more...

"

PS3 GPU (Graphics Processing Unit):

- RSX @ 550MHz
- 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
- Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
- Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Bandwidth:

- Main RAM 25.6GB per second
- VRAM 22.4GB per second
- RSX 20GB per second (write) +15GB per second (read)
- SB< 2.5GB per second (write) + 2.5GB per second (read)"

From http://www.vgescape.com/features/84/ps3-specs

Burgles said:

960*1080 is an inferior resolution to 1280*720

It might have more pixels, but our output devices aren't square and this resolution was used just so that the game can properly support 1080i because the PS3 doesn't have a hardware scaler like the 360 does.

So you've got 960 pixels on the horizontal and 1080 on the vertical......Uhhhhhhhhh ok! YUCK.

Also, Far Cry 2 is cropped in widescreen mode so those 1080 vertical pixels are being wasted even more.

Burgles, you have just agreed with my original post.  Native resolution is not an indicator of anything.  Developers will choose the native resolution that works best with each piece of hardware.  There have been instances where the higher native pixel count games look worse.

The PS3 provides api access to the horizontal scaler since fw 2.4.  That is why some newer PS3 games have an odd horizontal count. 

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Reasonable said:
Mendicate Bias said:
Reasonable said:

Yawn... another Squilliam 'have a go' thread... why not explain why Halo 3, a huge big budget exclusive built from the ground up for 360 couldn't manage 720p instead?

The budget was around $30 million although it's substantialy higher if you include advertising, but that money doesn't go into game development.

If you ever played the first Halo you would know the horrible framerate issues the game could have and since then Bungie has made it one of their priorities to keep the framerate locked and steady. Having played 4 player co-op and large 16 player matches I have never experienced any framerate issues whatsoever. I'm sure bungie deemed it appropriate to lower the resolution slightly in order to keep the framerate steady.

The real question is why the PS3 the widley touted stronger console cant match the specs of its weaker counter-part. Despite your name you sure do seem to show a PS3 bias...

I have never shown any PS3 bias (if I was going to be biased it would be to PC gaming, particularly for FPS)

Second, anyone with a degree of wit would realise I was pointing out that 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'...  many games on both consoles have made comprimises to get decent performance, so there's no point trying to score points on one over the other... unless you're a fanboy that is with real bias.

I agree however when one groups main argument is that console X is better than cosole Y because its significantly more powerful but then constantly get proven wrong then they deserve to be called out for it. If the PS3 was significantly more powerful than the 360 then it would never have to make comprimises to get decent performance. Please tell me where in my arguments I have made a fanboy statement.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Daxter210 said:
NNN2004 said:
NNN2004 said:
gebx said:
These threads won't stop till people can admit that the 360 is more powerful then the PS3.

Blu Ray is the only advantage for the PS3 and the Cell is a failure.

Proof - Multiplatform resolutions

/Sarcasm (maybe)

the 360 have 512Mb ram while the Ps3 have 256Mb & we all know that Xenos Gpu better than Rsx  also from what i heard before the Cell is not proved for games. 

this is from 1UP its about the GPU 

summary:
The Xenox, built ground up by ATI, is capable of using today's graphic's engines to make some amazing looking screens with 10 mb of memory dedicated to 4x Anit-Aliasing (smoothing of jagged lines) at no cost to graphics horsepower. 332 Million transistors and 48 pipelines allow for lots of texturing, able to be flexible enough to do geometries (not currently the case) or pixels (much more used currently, especially by the Unreal engine, which is licensed for use the the vast majority of game developers) as needed. The GPU is linked very closely to the CPU, and is able to shift 512 mb of RAM towards either as needed.

The RSX is based on the G70 and is a card that was implimented late in the game when the cell could not handle graphics processing as was assumed it could (whether due to programming difficulty or simply too much drain on resources). The differences as noted above amount to a lessened memory bandwidth versus the 7800GTX PC cards. This will cause more reliance on the Cells Memory controller and memory banks (which causes a major problem in high detail at 1080p, which is why you are seeing the majority of PS3 games running 720 best frame rates ( True ).
300.4 million transistors and 36 piplines, 24 and 12 dedicated, versus 332 million (that is with the skimping due to unified pipelines, normally 48 pipelines would use a heck of alot more) and 48 pipelines, combined with 512 system memory and 10 mb dedicated 4x AA = roughly 522mb that could be used for graphics (more realistically about 386-412mb for pure graphics due to other needs), versus the 256 mb dedicated in the PS3 just allows for a more powerful GPU on the 360.

and this is the link: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5799836&bId=7967278

Yes, certainly!

For this reason GT5 runs at 1080p and 60fps with the best graphics of this next-gen.

In addition, Wipeout HD, NBA09 The Inside and others games run at 1080p and 60fps. Uncharted is also the second game with the best graphics of this next-gen, behind GT5.

Do not read more stupid and fake hardware review, play games and watch with your eyes.

i think u didnt saw gears of war 2 graphics ... and u have proof that GT5 have the best graphics for this nex-gen ?