By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yawn... Another multiplat with lower resolution on PS3 -> Bioshock.

Garnett said:

No,you proved that 1 part of mine was WRONG,not all of i,and i knew that it was wrong but i was too lazy to correct it(to read thru it all and correct 1 minor part)Second if you cant post any tech specs of the PS3 gpu against my arguement you fail!!

So either find a link that proves that im wrong or accept it,And just to prove you wrong even more...

"

PS3 GPU (Graphics Processing Unit):

- RSX @ 550MHz
- 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
- Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
- Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Bandwidth:

- Main RAM 25.6GB per second
- VRAM 22.4GB per second
- RSX 20GB per second (write) +15GB per second (read)
- SB< 2.5GB per second (write) + 2.5GB per second (read)"

From http://www.vgescape.com/features/84/ps3-specs

I'm not saying that the 550mhz figure is wrong, but that info is pre e3 2006. The 2x HDMI is non existant, only 1 10/100/1000 LAN port and less USB ports in the final version. Like I said, I'm not saying you're wrong, but these are the specs for a pre release prototype.

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
Because Bioshock at 40% of the PC resolution looks so much better that Bioshock at 35% of the PC's resolution.

Congratulations, you win the thread.

well its a port at the end of the day, they did well though overall it performs better than 360 version, plus has free extras coming along soon.

i had this for 3 days got to arcadia level and traded it in i thought game was boring as hell once u got out of initial rapture.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

well i have farcry 2 and it runs and looks stunning it looks crystal clear and is a must have game on either console.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Mendicate Bias said:
Reasonable said:
Mendicate Bias said:
Reasonable said:

Yawn... another Squilliam 'have a go' thread... why not explain why Halo 3, a huge big budget exclusive built from the ground up for 360 couldn't manage 720p instead?

The budget was around $30 million although it's substantialy higher if you include advertising, but that money doesn't go into game development.

If you ever played the first Halo you would know the horrible framerate issues the game could have and since then Bungie has made it one of their priorities to keep the framerate locked and steady. Having played 4 player co-op and large 16 player matches I have never experienced any framerate issues whatsoever. I'm sure bungie deemed it appropriate to lower the resolution slightly in order to keep the framerate steady.

The real question is why the PS3 the widley touted stronger console cant match the specs of its weaker counter-part. Despite your name you sure do seem to show a PS3 bias...

I have never shown any PS3 bias (if I was going to be biased it would be to PC gaming, particularly for FPS)

Second, anyone with a degree of wit would realise I was pointing out that 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'...  many games on both consoles have made comprimises to get decent performance, so there's no point trying to score points on one over the other... unless you're a fanboy that is with real bias.

I agree however when one groups main argument is that console X is better than cosole Y because its significantly more powerful but then constantly get proven wrong then they deserve to be called out for it. If the PS3 was significantly more powerful than the 360 then it would never have to make comprimises to get decent performance. Please tell me where in my arguments I have made a fanboy statement.

One, the problem is people keep thinking all game engines are the same and you can just go 'PS3' is better because of game X or '360' is better because of game Y.  A lot depends on the coders, the game and what they're trying to do - not all games are equal and for multiplatform games the comprimises don't necessarily mean faults with the console itself so much as code written to better exploit one rather than the other.  From what I can see the port if pretty good but at the end of the day its of a game built on an engine (U3) that was built for PC first, then taken to 360 easily but which has never been fully optimised for PS3 - so any PS3 multiplatform game based on U3 engine always tends to take a hit because the engine doesn't exploit the console as well as it does PC / 360.

But both consoles have had most of their titles resolution pitched way below the mythical 1080p resolution anyway, and both have seen certain games coded well achieve much more than poorer efforts (not that I think Bioshock is a poorer effort, perhaps the real irony here is it actually looks pretty good on PS3 considering it is a port).

My view is just becuase a bunch of fanboys go on about PS3 being so powerful doesn't mean that the console itself should be bashed in a biased manner (nor should the 360 either for that matter).

Second, I didn't call you a fanboy - I was clearly aiming at the OP who needs to always try and bash the PS3 and promote the 360 - something I just find plain weird (just as weird as those who need to promote the PS3 and bash the 360).   As before you seem to be missreading my statements but then again for all I know we come from different countries and our basic use of language differs.

And you know I just don't get it.  Both consoles have flaws  - both have strenghs - and to be honest (and showing a little bias )  both lag behind PC for the games such as COD4, Fallout, Bioshock, etc. anyway... so I really, really don't see the point of banging on about 360 having better resolution on this game or PS3 having better resolution on that game... the PC version (when there is one) will support resolutions so far ahead of the consoles as to be hilarious.  Where there isn't a PC version due to a games exlusive nature you can be pretty sure that if there was a decent PC version it would have a higher resolution anyway.

So I say take straight pops at fanboys rather than attack the consoles themselves, and again I'm not calling you a fanboy just pointint out you misread my original post and misread the focus of my reply as referring to you rather than the OP.

And I still say 'Yawn' about this whole uncessary and bait orientated thread - and I still notice Squlliam isn't explaining why the more powerful 360 couldn't support a higher resolution for Halo 3... but as you pointed out perhaps this was more to do with Bungie's coding and desire to make resolution comprimises to achieve performance vs visual fidelity... just as the developers of the Bioshock port chose to do.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Mistershine said:
Garnett said:

No,you proved that 1 part of mine was WRONG,not all of i,and i knew that it was wrong but i was too lazy to correct it(to read thru it all and correct 1 minor part)Second if you cant post any tech specs of the PS3 gpu against my arguement you fail!!

So either find a link that proves that im wrong or accept it,And just to prove you wrong even more...

"

PS3 GPU (Graphics Processing Unit):

- RSX @ 550MHz
- 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
- Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
- Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Bandwidth:

- Main RAM 25.6GB per second
- VRAM 22.4GB per second
- RSX 20GB per second (write) +15GB per second (read)
- SB< 2.5GB per second (write) + 2.5GB per second (read)"

From http://www.vgescape.com/features/84/ps3-specs

I'm not saying that the 550mhz figure is wrong, but that info is pre e3 2006. The 2x HDMI is non existant, only 1 10/100/1000 LAN port and less USB ports in the final version. Like I said, I'm not saying you're wrong, but these are the specs for a pre release prototype.

Yes and the GPU is the same,If something was differnet then launch games would run horrible,So its confirmed that 360 GPU is slightly better than PS3 GPU?

Also the PS3 CPU is better to get that across.

Garnett said:

Yes and the GPU is the same,If something was differnet then launch games would run horrible,So its confirmed that 360 GPU is slightly better than PS3 GPU?

No, because clock speed doesn't necessarily determine everything.

No matter how much capability the PS3 hardware has, it doesn't mean a thing if devs don't know how/are too lazy to utilize it.

On topic:  Well, I'd get the PC version anyways if I was to buy it.  I'm not surprised though at the resolution thing, with so many games on both platforms running at sub-"HD" resolutions.

I just hope Resistance 2 ships running at a res that doesn't hardly look any better than what the Wii puts out (which the beta runs at right now...)

epsilon72 said:
Garnett said:

No matter how much capability the PS3 hardware has, it doesn't mean a thing if devs don't know how/are too lazy to utilize it.

On topic:  Well, I'd get the PC version anyways if I was to buy it.  I'm not surprised though at the resolution thing, with so many games on both platforms running at sub-"HD" resolutions.

I just hope Resistance 2 ships running at a res that doesn't hardly look any better than what the Wii puts out (which the beta runs at right now...)

Thanks for pointing that out (no sarcasm intended).

While it is generally acknowledged that the PS3 hardware is superior to the 360, since the real world application ultimately lies in the games, most people aren't going to see it that way. Few games to date have really showcased what the hardware is capable of.

But the differences between PS3 leading format development and ports has already been made crystal clear. You are not going to see better results on a PS3 using code originally intended for PC/360. Period. Not without a complete platform specific rebuild of the game engine.

As for this whole "outrage" over the sub-HD resolutions: get over it. They display at 1280x720 on an HD display, and only in rare instances does the lower resolution make the game look significantly less sharp.

It's not anything nearing comparison to the output of a 480p signal like the Wii, displayed on 1080p monitor/TV.

I'm not going to bother playing R2 until the final version, or a final build demo is released. As long as it runs at the same rate and resolution as the original, it's good enough.

epsilon72 said:
Garnett said:

On topic: Well, I'd get the PC version anyways if I was to buy it. I'm not surprised though at the resolution thing, with so many games on both platforms running at sub-"HD" resolutions.

Your right,its the rest of the GPU specs that matter,and infact the 360 has a slightly slower GPU,only 50mhz,but out of 10,the 360 wins 7/10 places..*Im not saying that only 10 parts matter but if the hole GPU is a 10 then the 360 wins 7/10,thats most parts*

But sooner or later the 360 Graphics will be lowered,or 2 disc since lack of space.

epsilon72 said:
Garnett said:

Insomniac Games have a real close relationship with Sony, especially when it comes to their technology, i've seen some of their R&D presentations about the Cell and it's pretty impressive, they even did a comparison about the difference in handling the Cell's architecture in Resistance: Fall of Man, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Resistance 2... They deliver with their titles, and just as R:FoM and RCF:ToD ran at 720p, i'm positive that they'll deliver again...

BTW, check Insomniac's R&D site: http://www.insomniacgames.com/tech/techpage.php