By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yawn... Another multiplat with lower resolution on PS3 -> Bioshock.

Reasonable said:
Yawn... another Squilliam 'have a go' thread... why not explain why Halo 3, a huge big budget exclusive built from the ground up for 360 could manage 720p instead?

easy .. they like it more at 720p ......

Around the Network

Jeez, If the difference were just 1 frigging pixel per inch people will still bitch and moan at each other.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

NNN2004 said:
dbot said:
You forgot to post that Far Cry 2 runs in a higher native resolution on the PS3 than on the 360. This was reported by Quaz51.

http://talkplaystation.com/far-cry-2-runs-at-a-higher-native-resolution-on-ps3/

You guys should stop your "technical discussions" regarding the specs and advantages of one console over the other. There is plenty of information published by sites on the web that have people that actually can understand these specs. We no longer need to discuss the power of each system in theoretical terms, just look at the quality of exclusives on each system and you will see the differences.

and whats about this

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/10/24/far-cry-2-on-sony-ps3-apparently-its-lacking/

i found this link inside ur link.

That proves the point right?  These minor resolution differences do not mean anything.  GTA ran at a lower resolution on the PS3, but most reviewers and even the developer preferred the PS3 version of the game.  I will take a stable framerate over a few extra native pixels everytime.

The native resolution is not an indication of anything.  A lower native resolution can allow a developer to add effects, improve the framerate, etc.  Developers may be more comfortable with the PS3's scaling than the 360's.  These threads are pointless fanboy traps.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

gebx said:
These threads won't stop till people can admit that the 360 is more powerful then the PS3.

Blu Ray is the only advantage for the PS3 and the Cell is a failure.

Proof - Multiplatform resolutions

/Sarcasm (maybe)

Enjoy this video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZnbMWy9A0Y

Squilliam said:

According to a few pixel counters *Not official Quaz51 material*

Bioshock PS3 runs at ~1200 by 675 vs 1280 by 720 for the Xbox 360.

~810,000 pixels vs 921,600 or a 14% difference.

Yay, an unequal port produce by the makers of another unequal port (Dark Sector).

Kinda lets you know how 2k? Take 2? LOL whichever thought about the port.

In other news, LBP is gonna be huge.

If it's not confirmed by Quaz, it's probably wrong. Also check this message :

"early shots were 720p, and the stair pattern of the PS3 version seems to indiciate that its the same resolution as the 360 version (which is 720p)."

Around the Network
NNN2004 said:

and whats about this

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/10/24/far-cry-2-on-sony-ps3-apparently-its-lacking/

Supported resolution is different from native resolution. For Far Cry 2, both versions probably run at 720p natively.

Asmo said:
NNN2004 said:

and whats about this

Supported resolution is different from native resolution. For Far Cry 2, both versions probably run at 720p natively.

yah but still there is issues in the ps3 version and that sony guy they mention said its because of the lazy developers ( like always ) ... i wonder why the 360 dont have lazy developers like the ps3.

Of course its going to have a lower resoultion cause the PS3 GPU is weaker than 360 GPU,but PS3 fanboys cant see that..

NNN2004 said:

yah but still there is issues in the ps3 version and that sony guy they mention said its because of the lazy developers ( like always ) ... i wonder why the 360 dont have lazy developers like the ps3.

Hm no, the article says the issue is that the PS3 doesn't support 1080p which mean it doesn't upscale to 1080p. On the 360 the devs don't need to do that because there's an hardware upscaler in the console. But on PS3 the devs need to implement it.

Anyway if you have a full HD TV, it's not a problem because the TV will upscale the image to 1080p itself...

Asmo said:
NNN2004 said:

Hm no, the article says the issue is that the PS3 doesn't support 1080p which mean it doesn't upscale to 1080p. On the 360 the devs don't need to do that because there's an hardware upscaler in the console. But on PS3 the devs need to implement it.

Anyway if you have a full HD TV, it's not a problem because the TV will upscale the image to 1080p itself...

So it sounds like if you have a 1365 x 768 native resolution HDTV, the PS3 Bioshock running at 720p will get upscaled by the HDTV to fit the screen.  But the 360 Bioshock gets upscaled to 1080 by the 360 and gets downscaled by that same HDTV to fit the sceeen.  Hmmmm......

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.