By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 outsells Xbox360 by 40% in America since price drop.

shams said:
MS will continue to lose momentum - until they announce their price drop along with the H3 release (or just after it).

Then sales will skyrocket. I'll prefer to know for sure though, that all new 360s are RRoD proof.

I don't understand why Halo 3 seems like such a big deal, I already own a 360 and have NO interest in this game.  In fact,  I get the feeling only the hardest of hardcore Xbox owner's want this game.  I also think most of these gamers already have a 360.

Around the Network
theshoe23 said:
shams said:
MS will continue to lose momentum - until they announce their price drop along with the H3 release (or just after it).

Then sales will skyrocket. I'll prefer to know for sure though, that all new 360s are RRoD proof.

I don't understand why Halo 3 seems like such a big deal, I already own a 360 and have NO interest in this game. In fact, I get the feeling only the hardest of hardcore Xbox owner's want this game. I also think most of these gamers already have a 360.

Halo kept the Xbox afloat last gen.

Halo 2Microsoft0.116.461.678.24
HaloMicrosoft0.104.911.426.43

This is why Halo is such a big deal. The first Halo sold to 26% of all Xbox owners and Halo 2 sold to 33% of all Xbox owners.

I see two things Microsoft could do. One would be ultra smart, the other would be, eh ... financially smart. Financially smart would be waiting until after the Halo craze to cut the price of the 360 by $100. Ultra smart would be cutting it before Halo. This would help push 360 sales back above the PS3 before Halo, and then it would continue to outsell the PS3 through the holidays.

I don't think MS is ultra smart though. 

I agree with the price cut in November theory over a cut in the near future, but if I had to bet on anything, it would be no cut at all this year. MS has been saying for a while now that they would be making a profit on the 360 this fiscal year. To make sure that happens, I doubt they're gonna leave millions on the table by cutting the price of the system (and therefore cutting their profits) by $100.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

If Halo can keep the Xbox(1) afloat then.... GranTurismo can do the same for pS3, especially if they do the whole GT bundle like always.

bbsin said:
If Halo can keep the Xbox(1) afloat then.... GranTurismo can do the same for pS3, especially if they do the whole GT bundle like always.

I'm not so sure.  GT is a casual game and the PS3 is not a casual system.

Around the Network
bbsin said:

If halo can keep the xbox 1 alive then killzone 2 will do the same for the ps3. GT is casual with nice graphics, but killzone 2 is my favorite fps.

mM

The beauty of GT is that it's as casual or hardcore as you wanna make it. Choosing to do 2+ hour endurance races is not something I would call casual. However, you never have to do them, and instead you can choose just to run 2,3 lap races

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

naznatips said:
bbsin said:

I'm not so sure. GT is a casual game and the PS3 is not a casual system.

NameConsolePublisherJapanAmericaOthersTotal
Gran Turismo 3 A-SpecSony1.897.115.8414.84
Gran TurismoSony2.553.994.3110.85
Gran Turismo 2Sony1.713.963.709.37
Gran Turismo 4Sony1.102.494.528.11
Gran Turismo Concept 2001 TokyoSony0.430.001.131.56
Gran Turismo 4 PrologueSony0.790.000.571.36

I think it'll be ok, no matter what category you try to lump it into.  3 sold barely worse than San Andreas.

I expect GT5 Prologue will sell over a million like GT4 Prologue did.  Not sure about that strategy, though, since GT4 "only" sold barely short of Halo 2 numbers.

GT3 and GT1 are the first on their respective consoles so I think GT5 will be in that range (10 mil+) when it's all said and done. 

Oh, and I've never enjoyed GT but in all fairness never gave it a fair shot.  I'll probably play it this time.  GT HD was decent.  I usually prefer arcade style racers like Ridge Racer (ever since the first one) and Midnight Club. 

Dolla Dolla said:
theshoe23 said:
shams said:

I don't understand why Halo 3 seems like such a big deal, I already own a 360 and have NO interest in this game. In fact, I get the feeling only the hardest of hardcore Xbox owner's want this game. I also think most of these gamers already have a 360.

This is why Halo is such a big deal. The first Halo sold to 26% of all Xbox owners and Halo 2 sold to 33% of all Xbox owners.

I see two things Microsoft could do. One would be ultra smart, the other would be, eh ... financially smart. Financially smart would be waiting until after the Halo craze to cut the price of the 360 by $100. Ultra smart would be cutting it before Halo. This would help push 360 sales back above the PS3 before Halo, and then it would continue to outsell the PS3 through the holidays.

I think the point is that many of the people anticipating Halo 3 already have 360s. So yes, Halo 3 will enjoy solid sales no doubt, but it remains to be seen whether it will truly be a huge console mover.

If they couple the Halo 3 launch with a price cut it will be pretty unclear which is the major factor although I would personally suspect that a significant price cut would do more to impact console sales than the release of Halo 3.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
Dolla Dolla said:
theshoe23 said:
shams said:

I think the point is that many of the people anticipating Halo 3 already have 360s. So yes, Halo 3 will enjoy solid sales no doubt, but it remains to be seen whether it will truly be a huge console mover.

If they couple the Halo 3 launch with a price cut it will be pretty unclear which is the major factor although I would personally suspect that a significant price cut would do more to impact console sales than the release of Halo 3.

Agreed.  I find it hard to believe that there are just millions of people waiting for Halo to buy a 360.  You would think they already bought one for Gear or one of the 10,000 other shooters pooring onto the console.