By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 outsells Xbox360 by 40% in America since price drop.

ioi said:
Ha, all the Killzone love amuses me, did you guys see how well the first game sold?

I think it will do well but 90% attach rates (even over 25%) is not going to happen I'm afraid!

It's basically history repeating itself. The original was labeled by fanboys as the Halo Killer and was completely overhyped. Sales were decent but at the same time poor because of the hype behind it. And I believe more than half the sales were made post "Greatest Hits" labeling or whatever it is they call the top sellers. Now we've got one video being shown and suddenly every problem than plagued the original is wiped out of people's minds and we've got people saying it will be the best shooter this generation.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Around the Network
ceres said:
ioi said:
Ha, all the Killzone love amuses me, did you guys see how well the first game sold?

I think it will do well but 90% attach rates (even over 25%) is not going to happen I'm afraid!

It's basically history repeating itself. The original was labeled by fanboys as the Halo Killer and was completely overhyped. Sales were decent but at the same time poor because of the hype behind it. And I believe more than half the sales were made post "Greatest Hits" labeling or whatever it is they call the top sellers. Now we've got one video being shown and suddenly every problem than plagued the original is wiped out of people's minds and we've got people saying it will be the best shooter this generation.

It's not the gameplay or replay value that matters though, its how much prettier your games look than everyone elses. Killzone 2 looks prettier than Halo 3, so obviously Killzone 2 will be better. When a game looks good it doesn't need to be fun.

leo-j said:
wangfoo said:
leo-j said:
90% of ps3 owners will get killzone2. I think it will sell as good as halo 3 if my 8 million by killzone release install base predicito is proven true.

Jesus bud, take a few breaths. 90%? You honestly think it has a higher attache rate than a game that comes packed in in all but one territory?

Your right 90% is optomistic, around 70% of the ps3 owners is what to me would be more accurate. That game looks so fun. I think it will sell beter than resistance.

I'm predicting 20% attach rate, which is pretty optimistic in itself.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

Bodhesatva said:
naznatips said:
Bodhesatva said:

To be honest, I'm rather convinced that an extremely high attach rate for a specific titles is a bad thing for the system as a whole. There is both empirical evidence and logic to back this theory.

First, please notice that neither the PS2 nor the PS1 had a title that even breached fifteen percent attach rates, let alone 20 and super-duper-let-alone 25 or 30. By contrast, the Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, and Xbox all did see attach rates this high on specific games. Since the beginning of the PS1 era, every system that's lost the race has had at least one game with an attach rate above 20 percent; both of the system's that have won the race haven't had a single game breach 15 percent. That's only 12 years of data (the data before that is quite muddled by a variety of factors, most noticably the bundling of Super Mario games in NES sales), but it's rather telling.

Logically, I believe this makes sense as well. Let's run with Leo-J's example of Killzone2 selling through to 90 percent of the PS3's user base. I hope we can all agree that Killzone2 will, for the most part, sell to males, and those males will probably fall in to the 16-30 age bracket. That's an extremely lucrative bracket, to be sure. However, if 90 percent of PS3 owners buy Killzone2, and the vast majority of Killzone2 owners are in the stated demographic, then it stands to reason that 90 percent of the PS3's demographic (give or take 10 percent! :p ) falls in to the stated demographic. Having less than 10 percent of your entire audience be women of any age, males under the age of 16, and males over the age of 35 is quite restrictive.

The reason that GTA didn't have an enormous attach rate (despite its monster sales) is that there were simply too many people who bought the PS2 for other reasons; if your system has a lot of demographics (young girls, young boys, middle aged women, middle aged men, old women, old men, and any division therein) then a particular game that tends to focus on a particular demographic cannot have an extremely high attach rate, logically speaking. The only real counterexample would be a game that is 1) extraordinarily good and 2) manages to appeal to several demographics at once, which is a very difficult task to accomplish.

This isn't aimed at the PS3, by the way. I used Leo-J's example as a launching point; I'm only pointing out that extreme attach rates are probably a bad thing.

Super Mario Galaxy.

Or Little Big Planet, possibly. Those were the first two that came to my mind.

Honestly, I don't see LBP doing great.  It's going to sell, but I see it barely breaking 1million.  A lot of PS3 owners (not all of course) see the Wii as kiddy and immature and that's exactly the kind of things those owners don't want.  

What does LBP planet look like?

leo-j said:

Here's the deal, if sony cuts the price of the ps3 WW by this holiday season you can expect that the 360 will fade into a distant third. From now on I expect the ps3 to out selll the 360 world wide until maybe halo3 then afterwards keep outselling it.Since like I stated in another thread xbox fans were sony fans they probably want that ps3 for metal gear or ratchet. Sony can cut the price of the 80gb to $449.99 and they wont be losing money.

Where do you get the idea that Xbox fans were Sony fans? I've never seen anything that even remotely prooves that. I've come across far more people that are xbox fanboys that were Sega fanboys back in the day.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Around the Network
ioi said:

do you even play games.

Killzone was sadly to big an idea for the the Ps2, Resistence still has an attach rate of 36% as if killzone2 will have any trouble surpassing it.

What you missed E3, graphics and great gameplay don't matter ? 

Bodhesatva said:
naznatips said:
Bodhesatva said:

To be honest, I'm rather convinced that an extremely high attach rate for a specific titles is a bad thing for the system as a whole. There is both empirical evidence and logic to back this theory.

First, please notice that neither the PS2 nor the PS1 had a title that even breached fifteen percent attach rates, let alone 20 and super-duper-let-alone 25 or 30. By contrast, the Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, and Xbox all did see attach rates this high on specific games. Since the beginning of the PS1 era, every system that's lost the race has had at least one game with an attach rate above 20 percent; both of the system's that have won the race haven't had a single game breach 15 percent. That's only 12 years of data (the data before that is quite muddled by a variety of factors, most noticably the bundling of Super Mario games in NES sales), but it's rather telling.

Logically, I believe this makes sense as well. Let's run with Leo-J's example of Killzone2 selling through to 90 percent of the PS3's user base. I hope we can all agree that Killzone2 will, for the most part, sell to males, and those males will probably fall in to the 16-30 age bracket. That's an extremely lucrative bracket, to be sure. However, if 90 percent of PS3 owners buy Killzone2, and the vast majority of Killzone2 owners are in the stated demographic, then it stands to reason that 90 percent of the PS3's demographic (give or take 10 percent! :p ) falls in to the stated demographic. Having less than 10 percent of your entire audience be women of any age, males under the age of 16, and males over the age of 35 is quite restrictive.

The reason that GTA didn't have an enormous attach rate (despite its monster sales) is that there were simply too many people who bought the PS2 for other reasons; if your system has a lot of demographics (young girls, young boys, middle aged women, middle aged men, old women, old men, and any division therein) then a particular game that tends to focus on a particular demographic cannot have an extremely high attach rate, logically speaking. The only real counterexample would be a game that is 1) extraordinarily good and 2) manages to appeal to several demographics at once, which is a very difficult task to accomplish.

This isn't aimed at the PS3, by the way. I used Leo-J's example as a launching point; I'm only pointing out that extreme attach rates are probably a bad thing.

Super Mario Galaxy.

Or Little Big Planet, possibly. Those were the first two that came to my mind.

Mario Bross 3 is the only know game to man that did it. I have high hopes for Galaxy to break the record.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

LeroyBrown said:
ceres said:
ioi said:

It's not the gameplay or replay value that matters though, its how much prettier your games look than everyone elses. Killzone 2 looks prettier than Halo 3, so obviously Killzone 2 will be better. When a game looks good it doesn't need to be fun.

Bro, did you see the gameplay, the gameplay by itself is alot smoother and I dont know so realisitci compared to resistance. The first killzone sold bad, generally becuase of the huge amount of install base and it wasnt the only "somewhat good fps" killzone 2 has everything the first one should have had. If you seen the story in the game by all means its as good or even more entertaingin than halo's. Ask anyone that had the 1st game, you cant compare the 1st to the secound in any way. Im not talking about graphics, gameplay is completely different smoother more intense and keeps you alive with the storms ahead of you with huge lighting tornadoes, and soldiers fighting of the helghask mennece. Already looking at gameplay and not even story the one level they showed already has me saying its better than resistance fall of man.

mM

Thats another thing I don't get, instantly because a bunch of people like the Wii (and mainly only play Wii Sports or Wii Play), everyone is suddenly interested in Mario again? I didn't even know what Super Smash Bros Melee was for a while, why? because it was on the Gamecube, a system not many had. So somehow now everyone wants SSBB? Doubtful. Same thing with Mario Galaxy, if these games do as well as Mario Sunshine (even with the number of Wii's out there), I'll be very surprised. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I still think alot of Wii fans are overcompensating for retarded Sony-fanboy ranting from before the Wii launch.
Some might want to ask themselves if they are prepared to be wrong about PSThird and Wiir#1. It might be just like last generation in the end.

yea nobody bought mario and SSBM, they only sold about 6 million copies each.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X