By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 outsells Xbox360 by 40% in America since price drop.

I never said no-one bought them, but did they sell as well as top ps2 games? I'm not being coy, I actually don't know the numbers.

Around the Network
theshoe23 said:
I never said no-one bought them, but did they sell as well as top ps2 games? I'm not being coy, I actually don't know the numbers.

It's not so much about the individual numbers but the percentage of people owning a gamecube that bought those games. Of course with 5x the numbers, the PS2 should dominate it in software sales. But the best selling PS2 game sold to 12% of the total PS2s sold. Melee and Mario Kart both sold to 30% of GC owners. Sunshine to 27%. And the series that sold those numbers on the PS2 has exclusive content on the x360 which has more consoles currently out there.

Halo 2 sold to about 33% of Xbox owners.

And meanwhile we have people here thinking PS3 games are going to sell to 70%+???

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

theshoe23 said:
Thats another thing I don't get, instantly because a bunch of people like the Wii (and mainly only play Wii Sports or Wii Play), everyone is suddenly interested in Mario again? I didn't even know what Super Smash Bros Melee was for a while, why? because it was on the Gamecube, a system not many had. So somehow now everyone wants SSBB? Doubtful. Same thing with Mario Galaxy, if these games do as well as Mario Sunshine (even with the number of Wii's out there), I'll be very surprised. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I still think alot of Wii fans are overcompensating for retarded Sony-fanboy ranting from before the Wii launch.
Some might want to ask themselves if they are prepared to be wrong about PSThird and Wiir#1. It might be just like last generation in the end.

I love this argument, it's one of the most ignorant ones out there and I'm entertained everytime someone brings it up.  Go take a look at the topic asking how many Wii owners on this forum owned a gamecube last generation.  You'll see that less than half did.  I'm sure you aren't dense enough to believe everyone on this forum bought a Wii for Wii Play (or even ANYONE).  Yet in all the polls Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Metroid Prime 3 take the top 3 spots on this forum.  It's retarded to think that they won't sell signifficantly better than they did on the Gamecube. 

Just because you lived in a bubble last generation doesn't mean the rest of the world did.  I was one of only 3 out of 8 people in my group of gamer friends with a Gamecube (all of us had a PS2) and now every singe one of us owns a Wii except 1 person.  You know what our favorite game was?  Despite only a few owning Gamecubes, Super Smash Bros. was by far our favorite game to play in our group.  If you think that these people who had such amazing experience with this great game last generation won't by the next generation iteration you are blind.

As for Super Mario Galaxy, again I refer you to that topic.  See how many are lapsed gamers who haven't played a game system since the SNES?  You don't think they will pick up a nostalgic game like Mario?  ckmlb for example didn't own a Gamecube and has said on numerous occaissions on this forum that Super Mario Galaxy is the game he wants 2nd most after GTAIV.

Let's look at Killzone though.  We are going from the huge userbase of the PS2 to a system selling slower than the gamecube now, and people expect the sequel to a game that couldn't sell 1 million on the PS2 to sell 10 million on a system with 1/5th or less the install base.  Who is making the more reasonable claim? 

Killzone actually went and sold 2million+(I know it sold atleast this many because thats how many a game needs to sell to get into SCE greatest hits list) and became multiplatinum WW(VG only show American sales which were 0.75million).

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

mitsuhide said:
Killzone actually went and sold 2million+(I know it sold atleast this many because thats how many a game needs to sell to get into SCE greatest hits list) and became multiplatinum WW(VG only show American sales which were 0.75million).

K, I'll accept that.  Either way though it doesn't make much sense to expect Killzone 2 to sell more than SSBB given the console attach ratios.

Around the Network

Thats true. It would be amazing if Killzone2 went on to sell 10million copies and atleast half of them with a console but the attach ratios are abit small for 10million to be sold but you never know anything might happen over Christmas it is the time for miracles to happen.

mitsuhide said:
Thats true. It would be amazing if Killzone2 went on to sell 10million copies and atleast half of them with a console but the attach ratios are abit small for 10million to be sold but you never know anuthing might happen over Christmas it is the time for miracles to happen.

You are correct. It would be definitely a miracle.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ceres said:
theshoe23 said:

It's not so much about the individual numbers but the percentage of people owning a gamecube that bought those games. Of course with 5x the numbers, the PS2 should dominate it in software sales. But the best selling PS2 game sold to 12% of the total PS2s sold. Melee and Mario Kart both sold to 30% of GC owners. Sunshine to 27%. And the series that sold those numbers on the PS2 has exclusive content on the x360 which has more consoles currently out there.

Halo 2 sold to about 33% of Xbox owners.

And meanwhile we have people here thinking PS3 games are going to sell to 70%+???

The people that own resistance fall of man whcih are about half of the ps3 owners atleast 40%, will buy killzone 2. Resistance has sold nearly 2 million copies and that is amazing for  ps3 game, and motorstorm is following.

mM
leo-j said:
wangfoo said:
leo-j said:
90% of ps3 owners will get killzone2. I think it will sell as good as halo 3 if my 8 million by killzone release install base predicito is proven true.

Jesus bud, take a few breaths. 90%? You honestly think it has a higher attache rate than a game that comes packed in in all but one territory?

Your right 90% is optomistic, around 70% of the ps3 owners is what to me would be more accurate. That game looks so fun. I think it will sell beter than resistance.

Super Smash Bros. Melee sold 6+ million copies on the GameCube. It was a loveletter to all Nintendo games past, was arguably the best Nintendo game for a system owned almost exclusively by Nintendo fans, and was one of the only good games available when the system launched. Yet it only hit about 25%.

The Grand Theft Auto series was the biggest series of games last generation. It made the PS2 the runaway winner. Yet each title sold to roughly 10% of the PS2's audience, only twice the total sales of SSBM despite being on a system with almost 6 times the console sales.

Bigger user base seems to make the amount a game sells less significant.