By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ps3 to outsell the 360 by about 1.5million - 2 million units this xmas

well by the end of feburary the ps3 could sell 6.8 million units depedning on how well certain games peform considering the hype of little big planet that should drive sales for ps3 in a new casual market, and white knight story in japan is the first big jrpg on the ps3 so that should drive sales in japan with the japanese, now considering how small the core market is and 360 has mainly been producing core games so its majority audiance of core gamers already will own a 360 and therefore its big game of gears of war 2 and fable 2will not drive sales by huge amounts, what games does it have to appeal to the casual market it has lips and your in the movies both of which are titles that havent been marketed very well so far. microsoft will make the mistake of heavily marketing gears of war 2 which will have little effect on sales of 360 since most of the core market already have 360's

Around the Network

fernado im looking at about from now till feburary in my predictions since in europe we have january sales and the holiday season in japan is in january not xmas like in europe and the us not to mention alot of countries give in europe celebrate xmas on like the 6th of janaurary aka the last day of xmas.

Fernando said:
For the PS3 to outsell the 360 by two million:

The PS3 should sell a 250,000 every week, starting November, BUT, with the 360 selling zero.

Is not that the 360 will stop selling, specially with all the bundles with free games and the price cut.

The PS3 is selling an average for 150,000 every week worlwide. Let's say that thanks to the bundles or LBP the sales increase by lets say 3 more times, and that the 360 just increase to 300,000 (not even two more times). That's 450k every week for the PS3 and 300k for the 360.

450k x 8 weeks: 3,600,000

300k x 8 weeks: 2,400,000

That's a difference of 1,200,000.

And is one good sceneario for the PS3. You guy are hoping a lot for LBP, but I really don't think it will do wonders for the PS3.

For someone who said that the OP should use logic and math, that was a really poor attempt. Christmas season isn't about average sales, it is filled with huge spikes that, in one week, could outsell by 800k.

although I agree 2 million may be a little high, but even your initial thought of "The PS3 should sell a 250,000 every week, starting November, BUT, with the 360 selling zero" makes no sense. What will more likely happen is that:

PS3 and 360 are even for much of November with sales in the beginning like 140k each, 230k each, 300k each 450k each. Then on into December 600k each, 710k each 850k each 900k each.

Your rationale fits a better model like this:

"The PS3 should OUTsell the 360 by 250,000 every week, starting DECEMBER"

mr_gappy said:
well by the end of feburary the ps3 could sell 6.8 million units depedning on how well certain games peform considering the hype of little big planet that should drive sales for ps3 in a new casual market, and white knight story in japan is the first big jrpg on the ps3 so that should drive sales in japan with the japanese, now considering how small the core market is and 360 has mainly been producing core games so its majority audiance of core gamers already will own a 360 and therefore its big game of gears of war 2 and fable 2will not drive sales by huge amounts, what games does it have to appeal to the casual market it has lips and your in the movies both of which are titles that havent been marketed very well so far. microsoft will make the mistake of heavily marketing gears of war 2 which will have little effect on sales of 360 since most of the core market already have 360's

internet hype =/= mass market hype. 

if you think that causal market, the one that is defined by the fact they don't dedicated their time to video games and thus are uneducated about industry as a whole, are going to even be aware of LBP then you are mistaken.  until the ps3 is featured on things like oprah, good morning america, the local nightly news like the wii is...the ps3 has no hope of out casualing the wii and taking that market.  LBP will sell mostly to the 1.88M people that got stoked from Uncharted.

I predict PS3 > 360 but....not be a relevant amount

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

No, at most it'll outsell the 360 by 500K worldwide over the next 2 months, maybe 1 million.

There is doubt that the PS3 will outsell the 360 period this Holiday.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

I'm saying 1-1.5m

This is because LBP will give a hardware boost, though not huge, I would expect US sales to be up 30k next week, and probably a similar boost in Europe when LBP is released there as well. In the US, I think the PS3 can just have the edge due to the three big hitters, as LBP will have fantastic legs through the holidays. The 360 has just had its price cut, and it can barely beat the PS3 (though it will win this week because of Fable II) and Sony has bigger hitters this holiday season. The big difference will be in others, where Motostorm will have a much bigger effect, and as the big multi-platform games such as Need for Speed and Call of Duty drive hardware, in Europe people will choose the PS3 because of free online and brand recognition. In Japan the PES bundle will help, but WKS will be the real boost in December

Overall, a lot of wishful thinking, but I do think the PS3 will beat the 360 this holiday, and the 360 will probably sell about 3.5-4m and the PS3 will sell 5-5.5m

no way this is going to be a great christmas for the 360 we have seen signs of that in September and October with the price cut and should only continue with Fable 2 and Gears 2 then in Januaray they have the new Halo expation comming =)))))))))))))))))))))

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Also dont forget about all those bundles the 360 has coming to eu over the christmas period starting last week with that football game bundle(sorry cant remember what it is now). We have a cod5 bundle, bond bundle, prince of persia, kung fu panda and lego bundle and gears bundle all these with the price diff will help ms if not beat the ps3 in eu stay REALLY close to it. Japan has the LR bundle which will help sell a load of 360. All in all I think it will be a close christmas with the diff in world wide sales staying in and around 5-6m.