By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Analyst’s Predicts a Massive Q4 for 360, Possibly Cracking 10 million Units

Wait in his blog he says the PS3 is widely perceived to have lost and it's just a link to one of his older blogs, is this guy a joke analyst?

Around the Network

The way this gen has been going, I'll say anything can happen.

KatinJin said:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/102019-how-many-xbox-360-units-will-microsoft-ship-in-q4

Obviously Microsoft (MSFT) knows the answer to this one because it has already decided its manufacturing numbers. We can only guess. So let's look what happened in the last two years. In 2006 the companyy shipped just 1 million units in Q3 and then 4.4 million units in Q4. So over a fourfold increase for the holiday season quarter. Then in 2007 it shipped 1.8 million units Q3 followed by 4.2 million units Q4, just over doubling this time.

This year Microsoft has just announced a 2.2 million unit Q3, their best yet. Can it recreate that fourfold plus increase from 2006? It would give them a quarter of 9.68 million units. I think it can and here’s why:

• The massive price drop to $199 now makes the 360 a casual impulse purchase. People will just put one in the trolley as they walk round Wal-Mart (WMT), Carrefour, Tesco etc. Also critical is that it is now cheaper than the Wii so the many people who buy on price alone could well switch their purchase.

Casuals want to play WiiSports and WiiFit, it has been on Oprah and all the other talkshows. The $50,- won't make a difference against so much mainstream attention

• Sony (SNE) is now very widely perceived to have lost. And the PS3 is still very expensive and is a far weaker buying proposition. Lots of people are going to switch their attentions to the 360. Especially keen gamers who already have a PS3 and who can see how much they are missing out. There are going to be a lot of households with two current generation consoles.

The average consumer doesn't have a clue, let alone an opinion on what company is winning or losing. PlayStation is still a well recognized brand. I do agree that 360 will sell more than PS3 due to price.

• In Japan the Xbox 360 has really taken off. It is selling far faster than Microsoft expected and the company is suffering shortages as it struggles to keep up with demand. If the 360 becomes “must have” it could sell the entire 9 million units here. Seriously. The Japanese market is very fashion led and frequently winds itself into a frenzy.

Taking off? Not dead anymore he means. Sure it has gained ground, especially against the PS3, but it's hardly a big success to sell 1 million consoles in 3 years. Microsoft should be happy selling 2 million in total in Japan, 9 million this quarter is absolutely ridiculous.

• Major revisions to Live. Pundits continually underestimate Live yet to Microsoft it is the main event. The consoles are just an enabling tool. This revision is seen by Microsoft as reinventing its whole offering. It is making the jump from gaming platform to being the most capable multimedia device on the market. With 14 million members, the Live service now has massive momentum. But still nothing compared with what it will achieve as it becomes the essential entertainment hub.

Tell me how this sells loads of consoles.

• The recession. A lot of people will see this Christmas as their last chance for a good time before the economic realities hit home. An Xbox 360 also makes sense in a recession as it is very cheap, very high quality entertainment. So bad economic times may well actually help Microsoft.

Because the economy is going down the gutter people are going to buy 360's in droves? Sure.

• Piracy. There has been a massive recent increase in Xbox 360 piracy whilst the PS3 is still largely pirate proof. The reality is that there are a huge number of thieves out there who like to steal their games for free. They see no need to contribute towards the cost of making their entertainment. So for this audience the Xbox 360 becomes the game console of choice.

For the average consumer this is no concern at all.

• The games. Quite simply the Xbox 360 has by far the best catalogue of games out of the current generation platforms. And playing games is what these machines are about. And when games are cross platform they generally play better on the 360. Till recently people were hoping that the Wii and PS3 would compete or even catch up with the 360 game catalogue. But now it is blatantly obvious that they won’t, the 360 is just too far ahead, Microsoft have tied up too many exclusives and it is a far better business proposition for publishers.

Looking at this I can see a potential for Microsoft cracking 10 million units in Q4. Lets hope the company is geared up to do it.

10 MILION?!? So a console that so far in 3 years managed to sell 20 million in 3 years is going to sell 10 million in 3 months? Wow. Where can I apply for a job as "analyst"? I'd love to make up complete nonsense all day and get paid for it.  

Amazing, I wish I had his job. This guy makes starcraft look like a member of SDF XD

Apparently the best way to convince readers is to quote yourself.

Thanks for posting the "article" rather than simply giving the link. I had a great lol, but I'd hate to give Bruce any traffic.

Around the Network

Clicks link, sees Bruce on Games, laughs for a couple of minutes, posts here.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

DOATS1 said:
oh my god, this analyst is on some good crack.

I want what he's having, it seems it makes the world a better place for the user....

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I think everyone will want to apply for ana analysts position after reading this! It will sell 9 million in three months in Japan when it hasn't even broken a million since its release?! This guy is on something heavy, or he must be spray-painting as a side job without wearing a mask...

Close this thread!! Misleading thread title!! Analyst's??? It's Bruce!!! You're giving him waaay too much credit...

"Strange Old geezer Predicts a Massive Q4 for 360, Possibly Cracking 10 million Units." now that's the right thread title...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

dbot said:
Clicks link, sees Bruce on Games, laughs for a couple of minutes, posts here.

Same here. Funny dude indeed.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.