By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Nextbox's Name

Pretty much ever since the name "Xbox 360" was announced, people have been speculating the name of Microsoft's next system.

Most have referred to it as the 720.

I am here to state why I think that's ridiculous, and what I've thought for some time what it'd more likely be instead.

Introducing... the Xbox 1080.

I've been thinking that would be a far more likely name than Xbox 720 for a long while now. I've mentioned it here and there, both online and off. I've never really posted any reasoning behind that, however, so many have probably either not noticed, or dismissed it as not making much sense.

So, here's my reasoning.

The original Xbox was just that - the Xbox. Simple name, nothing extra. Like a single point.

Then we got the sequel. The Xbox 360. 360 is the number of degrees in a circle - like they took the Xbox and improved on that concept all-around, in each and every aspect. They took the idea of the Xbox and wend full-circle with it.

Now, we're going on to the next sequel. The Xbox 1080, if you will. 360 is the number of degrees on a single axis - the X-axis, we'll say. One dimension. If the improvement goes from the Xbox being a point to the Xbox 360 being a circle, then the next improvement would be going from a circle to... a sphere! Full 3D from there - X, Y, and Z axes. If one axis has three-hundred and sixty degrees, then three axes - three dimensions - will have three times that. 360 + 360 + 360 = 1080.

Thus, the Xbox 1080.

Reasonable, yeah?

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

I see were you're going but no, I think a name insted of numbers would be better.

Which is incidentally the numbers of height pixels in full hd...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I'd personally call it the Xbox 9001.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

As long as it comes with:

NO-RROD
GOOD LINE-UP
A GAMEPAD THAT DOESN'T SUCK AND IS REVOLUTTIONARY

It will be a good console, doesn't matter if the name is Shitbox.

Around the Network

XOXO

seece said:
I see were you're going but no, I think a name insted of numbers would be better.

I agree, I think that would've been better. But since they've already selected a route involving numbers, it would be more fitting to follow a number scheme.

Kantor: Yeah, that actually is a strange coincidence. And also supportive of the concept.

Zenfolder: What? Nine-thousand? That's impossible!

SW-5120-1900-6153

I happen to be more concerned about the name of the Next Nextbox. 1440? 2060? The X-Ball? So many possibilities!

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

xbox starcraft!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Yeah, I don't have a clue where they'd go with the ninth generation name. Maybe technology will be further along by then and we'll get multiple third dimensions.

SW-5120-1900-6153