By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

i predict a made up subtitle name much like the Zune or Wii. So either:

Xbox Wayv

or here's a good one:

Xbox Wiin

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

Around the Network

XBOX 8G

thetonestarr said:

Pretty much ever since the name "Xbox 360" was announced, people have been speculating the name of Microsoft's next system.

Most have referred to it as the 720.

I am here to state why I think that's ridiculous, and what I've thought for some time what it'd more likely be instead.

Introducing... the Xbox 1080.

I've been thinking that would be a far more likely name than Xbox 720 for a long while now. I've mentioned it here and there, both online and off. I've never really posted any reasoning behind that, however, so many have probably either not noticed, or dismissed it as not making much sense.

So, here's my reasoning.

The original Xbox was just that - the Xbox. Simple name, nothing extra. Like a single point.

Then we got the sequel. The Xbox 360. 360 is the number of degrees in a circle - like they took the Xbox and improved on that concept all-around, in each and every aspect. They took the idea of the Xbox and wend full-circle with it.

Now, we're going on to the next sequel. The Xbox 1080, if you will. 360 is the number of degrees on a single axis - the X-axis, we'll say. One dimension. If the improvement goes from the Xbox being a point to the Xbox 360 being a circle, then the next improvement would be going from a circle to... a sphere! Full 3D from there - X, Y, and Z axes. If one axis has three-hundred and sixty degrees, then three axes - three dimensions - will have three times that. 360 + 360 + 360 = 1080.

Thus, the Xbox 1080.

Reasonable, yeah?

What a stupid post. Seriously.

Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird. 

Xbox 2π

MS might have to change brands after the RROD "scandal". It is possible and probable that this has hurt their brand, especially outside of America to the point of where it may seem as a brand that is of lesser quality comparatively.

I'm not saying its a definite but it is something that MS will take into account. Also a switch of brand might follow in the wake of Nintendo considering they changed brands and it seemed to have work. Of course they did it the gen before as well so its a hit or miss.

So if its not called the Xbox 720 or 1080 whichever they choose then a new brand is the most likely. I'm hesitant to say they'll change brands considering the brand is just starting to get popular in a few regions, but may not have a choice after the hardware failures. Wonder what they'd call it?

Around the Network

360 means something, 360 = globe = earth. 720 means nothing. I think that the "xbox" will stay but followed by something else than a number.

xboxOmega, xboxultra, xbox....

Hmmm. The reason why Xbox 360 has it's name was a business decision. I'm surprised so little know this. If the Xbox 360 was called Xbox 2, the company felt next to PS3 it sounded inferior. 2 against 3. So they came up with 360. From a marketing point of view it is a better decision. So dont read into any of this 360 (complete circle thing).

Hopefully, they dump the whole "Xbox" brand.

But they won't. So here's my guess: 2 circles linked together = XBOX Infinity

Xbox 361.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

XBox Blue

Blue Ocean, Blu Ray, makes people forget Red (RROD)