By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray could be the next UMD, says MS

Blu-ray could be the next UMD, says MS

Company rubbishes rumours that it's planning to introduce an Xbox 360 Blu-ray add-on

www.cvg.com

Xbox group product manager Aaron Greenberg has strongly denied that Microsoft has plans to release a Blu-ray add-on for the 360, in the process taking a swipe at the Sony format.

"We have no plans to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," he told Major Nelson.

Having chosen to back the wrong horse in the form of the failed HD-DVD business, Microsoft's position on high-definition movie and TV content currently revolves firmly around digital distribution.

"We believe that we shouldn't force people to pay for things they don't want," Greenberg said. "We also believe that the future's digital, and that's why we've invested in a massive library of entertainment content, that's why we're bringing things like Netflix to members in the US, that's why we're growing our library in Europe, that's why we're adding all types of entertainment experiences around the world.

"And Blu-ray: who knows? I'll tell you one thing: if you look at retail sales and availability, there's not a lot there, and what is there is at a premium," he added. "No one knows what Blu-ray will be. It's pretty clear it's not the next DVD, right? The days of one physical format being the standard I think are gone... We're not sure if it's the next UMD or DVD.

"I went to Sony's booth [at TGS], and it used to be that their whole booth was Blu-ray. It just keeps shrinking down. Now it's just this little corner and there's no one there and it's like, there's a heart sign and it's got 'Blu-ray' and some movies. It's interesting."

-------------------------------

another interesting read, funny thing is lol is that this is the guy who sold everyone a hd-dvd add on

i think he is wrong that digital distribution will be #1 format.

digital is fine with audio as you carry it about, but to have the highest def experiance it has to be a bluray or a hd-dvd

plus theres also an issue with net speeds, theres no way i would be downloading a 5gig file to watch it as a film.

digital is a good option to those who want to dl a movie, but he seems to forget that sony is also offering dl and rental movies, i i belive it would be wise for microsoft to issue a bluray add-on as it would bring the 360 in line with the ps3 on the choice issue - high def disc or dl the film or rent it!

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

The next DVD-like format will be whatever comes after Blu-Ray. As of right now, Blu-Ray is the next LaserDisc/SACD/UMD.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

well the format war for ms did end early, but i still think it was more of a way to slow blueray down, than win the war, though i bet they thought they had one more christmas with it. they just wanted to use hd dvd to keep blue ray from sinking in until download stores had gained a foothold

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

no Blu Ray for u MS :P . and UMD was destined to fail as HD-DVD.

F.U. Fun University.

then why were u fighting for the format ?
"I went to Sony's booth [at TGS], and it used to be that their whole booth was Blu-ray."
becuase they were trying to win when u last checked now they have won it's not important to make a big mess about it

Around the Network

poor guy.....wonder why they was pushing hd-dvd if they believed digital downloads would be the number 1 format (according to them)......
i just call him confused as fck

It could be next HD-DVD

Take my love, take my land..

321tttrini4everz said:
poor guy.....wonder why they was pushing hd-dvd if they believed digital downloads would be the number 1 format (according to them)......
i just call him confused as fck

as i said above, they did it as a delaying tactic. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

I think he is right in one subject area and that is "The days of (one) physical format being the standard I think are gone". Multiple formats give people options, and I personally like options.

Blu-Ray is awesome and I plan on getting a stand-alone player when the price drops down to the $150-$200 range.

I enjoy HD movie downloads on my 360, and having Net-Flix options.

I enjoy DVD for its cost, abundance, and with up-scaling options, ect.

Though I think a high rate of Blu-Ray adoption will take 3-4 more years, it has proven to be a very good option for future formats.....only time will tell.

omg Sony lowered the amount of movie content at their booth for games at a game convention.. I would never have imagined.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453