By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will WII sales die down?

Griffin said:
From my understanding the wii sales are down this in year in Japan. The wii sales have also lowered in NA over the past two months or something. And i'm not sure about Europe.

First sentence is wrong. YTD sales of Wii in Japan are up from 2.1 million in 2007 to 2.6 million in 2008.

(Edit: I mixed up 2007 numbers and 2008 numbers. Griffin was right about YTD sales dropping in Japan)

Second sentence is true relative to sales earlier this year, but again the Wii has sold more year-over-year in NA in this two-month time period.

As for Europe, Wii has gone from YTD sales of 2.4 million in '07 to a staggering 5.4 million so far in 2008! Maybe there is something to that wacky currency value theory that some people use to explain continued shortages in NA...

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Before Wii sales start to decline, it needs to peak first. It propably peak a year later than PS3 and 360. So the peak propably is seen in 2010, so the sales will decline in 2011.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Griffin said:
From my understanding the wii sales are down this in year in Japan. The wii sales have also lowered in NA over the past two months or something. And i'm not sure about Europe.

I'm not sure that is correct at all. On what do you base this understanding? Do you claim that supply has been met in North America? Haven't you claimed that before, in many other instances, only to have been ultimately wrong? I'm asking.

Don't you simply dislike the Wii, and don't you hope it does poorly?

I think you're a biased source, making assumptions based on what you hope, and cherrypicking information to suit those hopes.

You basically said, "The Wii has already lost steam."

That's a laugh.

I also believe that you knew about the dominance in Others, but pretended not to. Do you deny this alligation?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Wii's peak year will undoubtly be 2009. 2010 will be a little better than 2008. I think in 2011 Wii sales will slow down to normal (not outselling PS360 combined) levels.

Not any time soon especially with launches in China and India. Then 2009 being a killer year for games. It's really looking like the best year for Wii by far.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

How long is a piece of string. It will certainly still be going strong in 2011/2012 but it will start to calm down after new consoles are released next gen.

Naum said:
When I Become a millionare.

As a PS360 HD die hard fanboy I hope and pray you become a millionaire tomorrow.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

famousringo said:
Griffin said:

First sentence is wrong. YTD sales of Wii in Japan are up from 2.1 million in 2007 to 2.6 million in 2008.

Second sentence is true relative to sales earlier this year, but again the Wii has sold more year-over-year in NA in this two-month time period.

As for Europe, Wii has gone from YTD sales of 2.4 million in '07 to a staggering 5.4 million so far in 2008! Maybe there is something to that wacky currency value theory that some people use to explain continued shortages in NA...

My first sentence is right, you just had it backwards.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 06th Jan 2007 to 01st Sep 2007:

Console    Wii
Japan

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 05th Jan 2008 to 06th Sep 2008:

Console    Wii
Japan

it'll die in the middle of '09

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Wii will peak in sales in its fourth year and slow down in the following years in regards to sales.