By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will WII sales die down?

Chrizum said:
Wii's peak year will undoubtly be 2009. 2010 will be a little better than 2008. I think in 2011 Wii sales will slow down to normal (not outselling PS360 combined) levels.

Oh, interesting - do you think at 2011 HD consoles will be outselling the Wii? By 2011 the 360 will be 6yrs old, with the PS3 at 5yrs old. I doubt they'll be having spectacular sales by then, though I could be wrong. I figured from next year on out it'll only get more one-sided (favoring the Wii).

Around the Network

Well sales have declined somewhat in Japan.And in USA the last months have been of continuous decline although still in great numbers.About Europe we dont know...after vgchartz data its selling more but we have no proof whatsoever about that.I mean ,its more that 10 million in Europe after vgchartz data and Nintendo has never claimed that mark it could be perfectly wrong.

PandaexpressPanda said:

do you guys think the Wii will lose steam after this holiday season?

Only PC has Steam... you can't lose what you don't have.

yeah I went there tihihi

I guessing around summer 09. The wii is already slowing down in Japan. I would expect other territories to follow in Japan overtime.

Wii:FC 8542-6809-7276-6787

GT: Lordragoon 

Diomedes1976 said:
Well sales have declined somewhat in Japan.And in USA the last months have been of continuous decline although still in great numbers.About Europe we dont know...after vgchartz data its selling more but we have no proof whatsoever about that.I mean ,its more that 10 million in Europe after vgchartz data and Nintendo has never claimed that mark it could be perfectly wrong.

Yeah, but the Wii is still sold out in North America, unless you have some anecdotal evidence you want to make up for us real quick, and in Japan every home console has dropped. Wii is still by far the market leader, and using the supply issues in NA as proof that it's losing steam, is a myth based around a hope.

You hope the Wii doesn't sell well, so you pretend that it's showing signs of slowing down. If you could pretend like it didn't sell well in the first place, you would, but you try not to say anything negative about the Wii that anyone can actually dis-prove.

We know you're a Wii and a VGChartz hater. That's fine. I just wish you wouldn't try to spread faux and slanderous bias in nearly every post you make.

If you wanna pretend like the Wii is losing steam, say it. I think we can stand the assertion.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

I could be wrong, but the same people who seem to have expectations for the Wii's sales to die down in the near future have always predicted that the Wii sales would die down in the near future ...

Over the next couple of years the Wii could actually see higher sales if Wii MotionPlus really delivers and third party publishers really start living up to their promises of high quality support for the Wii. The peak year for the Wii may still be 2009 or 2010 but it might not see a "dying down" of sales until 2012 or 2013 after Nintendo releases its follow up system.

I think the Wii's 09 numbers will have a decline in sales versus 08.

There can only be a finite # of people interested in mario, etc...it will die eventually

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
There can only be a finite # of people interested in mario, etc...it will die eventually

That is a truism ...

We have seen the Wii's library grow and become higher quality and more diverse as the userbase has grown. If this continues, then people will be buying the Wii because they're interested in games like Grand Theft Auto (or whatnot) for the Wii.

Pristine20 said:

This is true, afterall the population of the world is only a finite number.

Luckily for Nintendo, the finite number interested in Mario seems to be larger than the finite number interested in perhaps all other franchises.