By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to take #1 Holiday spot

Phrancheyez said:
Squilliam said:
Phrancheyez said:
The problem is a lot of the people buying the consoles aren't as informed as you or I. They're going to buy a $200 XBOX 360, then the guy at GameStop is going to say, 'You should get a hard drive so that you can save games and not have to worry about a memory card. And if you get online, you can download all kinds of things with it!' So they buy a hard drive for $100 or whatever. Then they're going to ask if it comes with wireless, and the guy at GameStop is going to say, 'No ma'am, but we have the adapter right here!' Then they're going to have to buy their kid a game, so tack on another $60. Then they're going to have to pay for XBOX Live, so tack on another $50.

When it's all said and done, even at $200, the PS3 has much more value over the 360. But most consumers aren't seeing that. They don't look for specs..they just see that 'Hey, this system is only $200 and it has a lot of the same games as this one for $400.' They don't look at WHY the other system is $400, or how much it's going to cost them when it's all said and done to get that $200 system up to par.

The people buying these systems are moms and dads and grandparents and uncles and aunts who know nothing about gaming or video game consoles. If everyone was as informed as us, they might pick the PS3. Some would still pick the 360, but the PS3 being $400 would make sense to a lot more people.

Except that on par is precisey $200 for at least a third of potential customers who won't go online and won't play a Blu Ray disk for at least a few more years for a variety of reasons. You can't sell ice to an eskimo nor can you sell heated seats to a Californian.

This is true.  This just reinforces my idealogy that 360 will unfortunately beat PS3 this holiday season.

Though, a californian might buy a heated toilet seat...hey hey?  Ok maybe not a lot of them..

I hear wood is better for the butt!

But yeah the PS3 vs Xbox 360 value - I agree that if you start stacking things like Blu Ray/Wireless/Online play into the want or need column you're going to be better off with a PS3.

However if the wireless module costs say $15-20 to add and say 10% of people will actually use it then you could say that its better to not include it for the 9/10 people who don't need it rather than jacking the price up to satisfy the one person who does. $150 cost overall vs $100 for just one person and if that sounds bad for you, theres are two competing consoles with wireless to choose from.

Tease.

Around the Network

It will be fourth or fifth behind DS, Wii, PSP, X360

I give them 2nd maybe.......I say maybe 2nd. They will be hard pressed just to beat the 360 this holiday. But not 1st, not even close. Wii is a beast!

obieslut said:

ok then, so been as you obviosuly seen the data for the upcoming xmas period and came back from the future just to tell me i am wrong, can you please tell me how bluray players are doing, just wondering. because if bluray players are doing well and IF and thats IF the ps3 is the best selling bluray player then why would it not outsell the Wii.

I just finished going into the future on my time machine and guess what...the PS3 did not outsell the Wii.

Awesome article posted by PS3 Addiction!!! Obviously there is no bias!

Some great quotes from the article:

Here are the top 4 reasons consumers will choose the Playstation 3 over its competition this season.

The Status
While the majority of gamers who do not own a PS3 yet will fail to recognize this as a selling point
, but for those of us who do own the PS3, it is a known fact that the console holds a greater value to gamers than a Wii or 360.

[...]It seems the folks that own the Playstation 3 system not only act more mature, but play a bit more mature as well with less profanic phrases muttered.

The Network
[...]How long does it take you to logon to a game and get right into playing? 360 users are used to starting an online match, then heading up to make a sandwich or take a bathroom break before the system will find a suitable match for them. On PS3 games, the waiting time to jump online is literally seconds, just long enough for you to adjust your settings, and hit connect, within a matter of seconds, you are playing online.

The Movies
[insert blu-ray jargon]

The Games
Here is the selling point. Why buy a gaming system, no matter what it’s capable of if the games are not there?
[...]
While this is a great time to get started on your ’Life with Playstation’, this holiday will brighten your smile ten fold with one of the largest gaming lineups in history.

These games include the following exclusives;

LittleBigPlanet
Resistance 2
SOCOM: Confrontation
MotorStorm 2
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm
WipeOut HD
Valkyria Chronicles

as well as the introduction of HOME, Sony’s online world of matchmaking and social networking.

Let’s not forget about the amazing cross platform titles coming our way this year too that have been improved specifically for the Playstation 3;

Alone in the Dark
Bioshock
Eternal Sonota.

Of course, Nintendo and Microsoft have there own great lineup of games, Nintendo with...uh...well...Wii Sports 2 and Microsoft with Gears of War 2 and Halo Wars, as well as a couple others.

[insert final argument and stab at Wii sales with Tickle-Me-Elmo reference]

Not only is the article writer (whose pen name is steriotyp ... no, I'm not kidding) a genius at writing without favoritism, he is also a great speller and forms sentences perfectly. This is why I believe his conclusion that the PS3 will take the #1 Holiday spot is the cold, hard truth!

Around the Network

lol at that sites wii and xbox360 sections.

as most reasonable people have said, ps3 will have to fight with 360 for second place, it wont be easy

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

If it was $299 it'd definitely be the #1 HD console. As it is I think it's gonna end up in 3rd.

Believe.

Without left for dead, my interest in the PS3 has waned. Even though its not a 360 Exclusive the fact that its not even coming out on the PS3, is not in its favor, at least for me. Regardless of each systems exclusives 3rd party games like Fallout 3 look way better that the exclusives, so why would pay more for a PS3. Dvd is good enough for me and the deal Microsoft has with Netflix seals it.

Well this is an interesting story. If these predictions come true I will be very, very pleased. However, I know that it is going to take a mirical to slam the door on the Wiis momentum. The PS3 does have a lot going for it this holiday, and it has a very good chance of selling in a decent second to the Wii. I am thinking 45, 35, 20 for the Wii, PS3, and 360 is not a bad guess.

It is really to early to tell what will happen around mid October, but that is when things for this holiday will begin to shape up. I believe that in America the PS3 will begin to match back up to 360 sales around this time. Then as we move into November, we will see 360 move ahead yet again on the launch of Gears of War 2. The week following GeoW2 PS3 will be ahead of 360, and from there through the rest of the year PS3 will pull further and further ahead. In Europe the 360 really has no chance. Sales for PS3 will start to really sepperate from it starting the last week of Sept/ first week october thanks to football games. Following that the PS3 games for this winter will crush the 360, this is the same as why PS3 can't beat Wii. PS3 just has way to much momentum in Europe to allow the 360 any breathing room.

Now the most interesting place for the HD consoles this winter will be Japan. Microsoft at the moment seems to have the Japanese in confusion. They love Sony and really want to support them yet Sony has failed to give them the games they want. Out of pride they have avoided the Xbox brand for the last 7 years, however, with recent money hatting moves buy Microsoft, the Xbox brand is now getting many of the games they expect on the PS brand. Unless Sony has a card up there sleeve for TGS, I see it being a very bloody battle this winter in the land of the rising sun.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL