By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Price Cut in 2008 is it possible?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
ultraslick said:
I agree. Sony will not cut the price this year, for the above stated reasons. Now is a good time to buy a PS3, because gamers know that there is no price cut around the corner.

This is really the first time in a while that potential PS3 buyers can be confident that the system won't drop in price right after they buy it.

And by delaying as long as they can before cutting the price, it will

-increase the effect of the next price cut, (whenever it may be)
-keep the PS3 nearing towards a break even point (most important)
-show the perceived value (as real as it is) between itself and the 360. Clearly differentiating it from the "lower end" HD console.

But with that being said, if Sony went nuts and pulled "a microsoft" by cutting the price- especially all the way down to $299 before this Christmas - it would be absolute pandemonium.

Sony would not be able to keep up with demand, and would be sold out through mid-February.

But No Chance!

Microsoft made a healthy decision to drop price. They are in their 3rd year. They can now focus on the lower income potential crowd. Sony made similar choices during their third year of the PS2.

Yes, I agree. I would be surprised if Sony hasn't dropped the price $100 to $299 by Christmas 09.

This would be similar (time frame wise) to Microsoft.

Only time will tell.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network
nine0nine said:

MS are continously proving that price cuts do nothing but blip sales for a few weeks and I think Sony are smart enough to see this. We are entering the holiday season where price isnt the deciding factor anyway, its more important to brainwash parents and children into believeing your console is the best.

Cutting the RRP can have a negative effect on sales too as if it happens too frequently, customers will expect another soon and will hold off making a purchase until that happens. It also makes people assume that the machine is selling badly as theyre continously trying to boost sales.

In the case of the 360 i think they have just saturated their potential market so pretty much no matter what they do, theyre not going to see a massive increase in market percentage but the PS3 still has a long way to go. More games are needed, more of they typical PS3 franchises and some new ones too, they are well over due now.

I'm guessing marketing isn't your strong point.

If MS made a dent into PS3 sales then they would obviously cut the price. But it seems that MS would be lucky enough if they won the holiday season in NA, which I don't think will happen. So when will we get a $299 PS3? Sometime in 2009. Sony will be able to sell it with a profit or at least small loss. The effect would be bigger (the PS3 would probably get a 100% increase y.o.y, just like with 40 GB). And last but not least they would be able to meet demand (it seems like they can't with the 80 GB in others).

I don't think SCEI will cut the price their regional divisions pay until they switch to 45nm CELL, probably early next year. It's possible that SCEA or SCEE could make a small price cut on their own if exchange rates were favourable (which they're not for SCEA), but they're more likely to add value by bundling software instead.

I think it's highly unlikely we'll see a PS3 price cut in 2008, but Q1 2009 is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if PS2 gets a price cut though.

are SONY fanboys so blind? how can NOT reducing the price for your product be good for the consumer. Cheap cost= more sales=more games purchases. win for SONY, win for the buyer, win for the software devs.

There is no other logic to it than that.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

arsenicazure said:
are SONY fanboys so blind? how can NOT reducing the price for your product be good for the consumer. Cheap cost= more sales=more games purchases. win for SONY, win for the buyer, win for the software devs.

Remember what happened with the Dreamcast? Yes, it can be good not to reduce the price for some time. It makes the PS3 look better than the 360, which will help the PS3 when it gets a price cut in 2009 or so.

not now theres no point, ps3 will push in heavy numbers at the price it is now
i predict a price cut mabey mid 2009, ps3 will still sell very well with its current price up until then as consumers know what they get for thier money

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

"Cheap cost= more sales=more games purchases"

Not necessarily ... the people who've waited to buy a xbox now because of it's low price, will probably show the same patience before buying a game to drop in price, or search for bargains / 2nd hand games.
Those people are not going to buy Mercaneries 2 or Gears Of War 2 the day it comes out.

I do the same with the PS2 games, there are a lot of great games for less then 20 euro, sometimes just 5 euro and there are a lot 2nd (platinum) games for 5 euro.

So essentially those people wil not generate that much revenue and I'm curious how these hardware price-cuts convert to software-sales.

But it's obvious that MicroSoft is planning to 'bribe' this holiday-season: In the Netherlands / Belgium the effective price-cut is even bigger because of a coupon action: you can get an arcade for only 150 euro ( that's about $ 214 including vat )

But more on topic: I think everything is possible now, it's up to Sony to decide, but I think they will let the games do the marketing

slimeattack said:
arsenicazure said:

Remember what happened with the Dreamcast? Yes, it can be good not to reduce the price for some time. It makes the PS3 look better than the 360, which will help the PS3 when it gets a price cut in 2009 or so.

OMG, you really are a trip. Price is the exact reason why the PS3 wasn't selling as fast as it could. The Blu Ray addition was like a dog leash on the possible sales the PS3 could've attained. Sony realized that and CUT THE PRODUCTION COSTS!! It's because of price why the majority market of gamers haven't been able to get their hands on an HD system yet.

The Dreamcast went out of business not because of price, but because of terrible marketing decisions, and they had no blockages for the burning of discs and easy pirating of games. The potential sales of their front running games were shit. You could not make good enough profit off of first party games (Which out of nearly all of the systems, Sega had majority 1st party). 

The Dreamcast also didn't have a DVD player like Sony. Sony chose the PERFECT time to introduce cheap DVD players into the market. They were efficient and they understandably could replace VHS (UNLIKE BLU RAY!!!!). BLU RAY IS JUST A HIGH DEF DVD PLAYER. DO YOU THINK THE MAJORITY OF PENNY PINCHERS GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THAT!? NOO!!! People pirated Dreamcast games and before the dreamcast could ship proper consoles with anti-piracy protection it was TOO DAMN LATE FOR THEM.

Price