By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Price Cut in 2008 is it possible?

im guessing maybe soon intime for the holidays especially if 360 starts to do to well and just becasue they have said they wont doesnt mean a thing they dont want people to know its gonna be cheaper til it actually is.

^great way to get free games and accessories for PS3,360,Wii,PSP and DS. Residents of US,UK,CANADA and AUSTRALIA (It actually Works i have done it and their is testimonials with pics)

Around the Network
slimeattack said:
arsenicazure said:
are SONY fanboys so blind? how can NOT reducing the price for your product be good for the consumer. Cheap cost= more sales=more games purchases. win for SONY, win for the buyer, win for the software devs.

There is no other logic to it than that.

Remember what happened with the Dreamcast? Yes, it can be good not to reduce the price for some time. It makes the PS3 look better than the 360, which will help the PS3 when it gets a price cut in 2009 or so.

Ehm... the Dreamcast had really bad marketing... it even got metioned in marketing class one day... Instead of doing a great ad campaign like the ps2.. they went sponsoring Arsenal for a few years.. which resulted in less sales> less 3th party support> panic>  low price... not the other way around..

ot: No it's not possible.. wait.. well it is but the Sony will lose more money on the ps3 which they can't afford to..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Dont think so but u never now but if the price cut dosent come this year than i think it wont take longer than March 09 for a price cut , and if it hits 299 the sales will be really big.

It's possible of course.

I believe Sony will watch October and see how 360 fares after the price cuts, if it rises but not enough to trouble them they will likely stay firm on price and look to market that 360 is running out of steam due to muted response to very low price.

If 360 starts going gangbusters then they will of course consider (probably reluctantly) a price cut in time for holidays to prevent 360 pulling away again, particularly as they gap as been closing nicely for Sony for most of this year.

I'd say on current sales that their is probably more demand for a lower price PS3 than a lower price 360 - i.e if PS3 is beating 360 WW each week with a higher price it is almost certain there is more underlying demand for the console.

Personally if I was Sony I'd commit to a small price cut in time for the holidays, I think even a modest cut would drive a good rise in average weekly WW sales for PS3.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I think this is impossible, as cutting price for ps3 is like killing Sony.

Around the Network

I have a feeling end of november 2008 a $299. Ps3 is coming.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

slimeattack said:
arsenicazure said:
are SONY fanboys so blind? how can NOT reducing the price for your product be good for the consumer. Cheap cost= more sales=more games purchases. win for SONY, win for the buyer, win for the software devs.

There is no other logic to it than that.

Remember what happened with the Dreamcast? Yes, it can be good not to reduce the price for some time. It makes the PS3 look better than the 360, which will help the PS3 when it gets a price cut in 2009 or so.

Not nessecarily but kinda true. Generally when buying electronics, things that are more expensive are seen as better quality, depending on who the maker is of course. A Sony TV will always be more expensive then the equivilent LG tv for example and I'd always prefer the Sony one. but then people only buy what they can afford. And maybe when people look at it the PS3 is the better deal when you include Blu-Ray and built in wireless.

On topic, I think a price cut is possible but only at the moment in Japan and Europe and only by about £50 at max. £25 Just to keep in line with price of Elite 360 but remain profitable considering they are making a lot less in the USofA. But this I think is unlikely in this year

Hmm, pie.

The Ps3 won't see a price drop this year for 1 simple reason. Blu-ray drive cost and market. If the Ps3 is drastically cheaper then other blu-ray players and can be a media hub and gaming consoles it would hurt other blu-ray player sales too much. Also blu-ray players are still expensive to manufacture and the president of blu-ray said you won't see a 299$ blu-ray player till 09 so I doubt a 299$ Ps3 will be soon.

The Ps3 is countering the price cut by adding a 120gb hd bundle with Uncharted and making the 80gb stripped down version  the same price as the old 40gb.

i think it would be better if sony waited until next year when they have more momentum and do the price-cut on a big game release.

A PS3 price cut is dependant on how long lasting the Xbox 360 sales increase is.

A few weeks of blip only and Sony will hang fire and maybe drop 30 - 50 GBP for the Xmas market to wrestle back some of the momentum from MS.

However I see a potential for a more longer lasting sales increase this time around. The Xbox is now at a price point where it can almost be a casual buy.

129 GBP for the Arcade unit is stunning value in the UK. If this means that the Xbox can hold onto sales and keep the momentum then I believe Sony will have its hand forced and a price drop will be inevitable.

Time will tell