By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Price Cut in 2008 is it possible?

xman said:
I am willing to state that there will be NO price cut for the rest of 2008 on the PS3. I think they will wait and see what Xbox does then decide what to do in 2009.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

I also think they are going to lower it beyond $299 (my guess would be $249) and it will be a smaller version of the PS3 as well, since it's already been confirmed they have a smaller chip which uses less power.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Around the Network
Staude said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
blazinhead89 said:
2009 Will be HUGE for PS3

LOL my friend, I said the same thing for the PS3 last year in hopes for the PS3 in 2008. :) Keep hope alive.

Well.. it's been bigger than 360s 2008.. so yeah.. it was a pretty big year. By more than a million ;)

without a price cut and as being the most expensive next gen console over 400$

that is quite impressive.

Time to Work !

libellule said:
Staude said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
blazinhead89 said:
2009 Will be HUGE for PS3

LOL my friend, I said the same thing for the PS3 last year in hopes for the PS3 in 2008. :) Keep hope alive.

Well.. it's been bigger than 360s 2008.. so yeah.. it was a pretty big year. By more than a million ;)

without a price cut and as being the most expensive next gen console over 400$

that is quite impressive.

I think at the $400.00 PS3 price, Xbox is going to have a very good christmas!!!!

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Bullet100000 said:

I been thinking Sony has three system on the market Ps2 8years on the market, psp which also sell a decent amount and Ps3. Im sure there making money on both Psp and Ps2,  especialy on the ps2.

My questions are do you think a price cut on the PS3 is possible  this year and also what if they did drop the price to $299.00 what would happen to sales???

They're losing money on their games division when you combine the profits for the PS2/PSP, the huge profits on game licensing, and the huge losses on the PS3.

Staude said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft made a healthy decision to drop price. They are in their 3rd year. They can now focus on the lower income potential crowd. Sony made similar choices during their third year of the PS2.

slap.. not at the same price microsoft has reduced the 360 to. You know that a 360 costs the same as a ps2 now ?..

That's quite a fall in price within less than half the time.

For reference, the PS2 was reduced $100.00 in price (at once mind you), after less than two years on the market.  Yes, they reduced their price from $299.00 to $199.00 in a little over a year and a half (source).  In fact, they did it *gasp* before Microsoft dropped the price on their original XBox.

I swear, if I hear someone say that the PS2 didn't do that, my head is going to explode.