By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Price Cut in 2008 is it possible?

99% chance wont happen but if it did sales would double to triple

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ultraslick said:
I agree. Sony will not cut the price this year, for the above stated reasons. Now is a good time to buy a PS3, because gamers know that there is no price cut around the corner.

This is really the first time in a while that potential PS3 buyers can be confident that the system won't drop in price right after they buy it.

And by delaying as long as they can before cutting the price, it will

-increase the effect of the next price cut, (whenever it may be)
-keep the PS3 nearing towards a break even point (most important)
-show the perceived value (as real as it is) between itself and the 360. Clearly differentiating it from the "lower end" HD console.

But with that being said, if Sony went nuts and pulled "a microsoft" by cutting the price- especially all the way down to $299 before this Christmas - it would be absolute pandemonium.

Sony would not be able to keep up with demand, and would be sold out through mid-February.

But No Chance!

Microsoft made a healthy decision to drop price. They are in their 3rd year. They can now focus on the lower income potential crowd. Sony made similar choices during their third year of the PS2.

slap.. not at the same price microsoft has reduced the 360 to. You know that a 360 costs the same as a ps2 now ?..

That's quite a fall in price within less than half the time.

Check out my game about moles ^

it is possible now that they make the PS3 with 65nm CELL nad RSX, production line is easier to make aswell seeming as there is only one model to make. 80GB so they should make more units and make a profit, especially with this 160 GB model where it has the same hardware as the current 80 but with bigger hard drive.
But sony wants profit before a cut, they have a strategy that is unique.
If i was in sony's shoes i would do the same.
expect the ps3 to cost $/€ 299 by next xmas and £249 for uk

PS3 Trophies

DS: 120,000,000; Wii: 60,000,000; Xbox 360: 38,000,000; PlayStation 3: 34,000,000; PlayStation Portable: 60,000,000

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

2009 Will be HUGE for PS3

I guess Sony could do a $50 price cut and/or good value bundles this Xmas, just to be sure momentum doesn't fade but without losing too much on HW. Right now in Italy PS3 is often bundled with a BD movie without overprice, but I guess that given the current gamers' preponderance over movie fans amongst PS3 fans, Xmas bundles with games should have a greater effect. However, if we talk about EU, a price cut could be much easier for Sony, the current 399€ EU price vastly exceeds the conversion from $ and application of VAT (duties, for consoles built both outside of USA and EU are the same, so they cannot be blamed for price differences).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Staude said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ultraslick said:
I agree. Sony will not cut the price this year, for the above stated reasons. Now is a good time to buy a PS3, because gamers know that there is no price cut around the corner.

This is really the first time in a while that potential PS3 buyers can be confident that the system won't drop in price right after they buy it.

-show the perceived value (as real as it is) between itself and the 360. Clearly differentiating it from the "lower end" HD console.

But with that being said, if Sony went nuts and pulled "a microsoft" by cutting the price- especially all the way down to $299 before this Christmas - it would be absolute pandemonium.

Sony would not be able to keep up with demand, and would be sold out through mid-February.

But No Chance!

Microsoft made a healthy decision to drop price. They are in their 3rd year. They can now focus on the lower income potential crowd. Sony made similar choices during their third year of the PS2.

slap.. not at the same price microsoft has reduced the 360 to. You know that a 360 costs the same as a ps2 now ?..

The 360 does not cost the same a PS2. The 360 production subtractions include the lack of a hard drive in the arcade. You have a clearly false statement here. The PS3 doesn't have the optional Sony backing Hard drive removal like the Microsoft. This is why Microsoft can drop price easier because of the skeletal costomizable nature of their console as opposed to Sony. If the consumer sees fit to buy an arcade because they want the core, then so be it. I've been hearing that Microsoft is planning on dropping the price of the Hard drives as well to make it easier for purchase.

blazinhead89 said:
2009 Will be HUGE for PS3

LOL my friend, I said the same thing for the PS3 last year in hopes for the PS3 in 2008. :) Keep hope alive.

a price drop this year i think not but possible
but dropping to 299 is a hell no

A sony price cut this year is a pipe dream...sorry to burst the bubble best you can hope for is a bundle for christmas

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Staude said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
ultraslick said:

But No Chance!

The 360 does not cost the same a PS2. The 360 production subtractions include the lack of a hard drive in the arcade. You have a clearly false statement here. The PS3 doesn't have the optional Sony backing Hard drive removal like the Microsoft. This is why Microsoft can drop price easier because of the skeletal costomizable nature of their console as opposed to Sony. If the consumer sees fit to buy an arcade because they want the core, then so be it. I've been hearing that Microsoft is planning on dropping the price of the Hard drives as well to make it easier for purchase.

well in europe with the new pricecut it will. Atleast in denmark. (aprox) might be 20 - 40 pounds above but it's within the same price range. Even if it is the arcade version. Still the system.

Another thing. What the hell does the bolded part have to do with anything i said ?

Infact, it's quite opposite of what you said since you can as a customer open your ps3 and replace the harddrive while everything has to be "exterior" on the xbox. This means the "skeletal" isn't customisable. Atleast in it's raw form. If you do mean that they can charge consumers for a lot of crappy accessories then yeah. I agree with that.

Check out my game about moles ^