By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does anyone actually believe Sony deserves to do well in Japan?

All this said, and just to throw the Sony boys a bone on a bad day for Japanese sales, there is still no way in hell the 360 is gonna beat the PS3 in userbase this gen, and the PS3 still has a firm second place finish rapped up off brand-name alone. Something that doesn't require delivering in Japan, as Sony obviously figured out early on.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
joshin69 said:
Deserve, mm there's a word. Does MS deserve to even be competing this gen? Do MS and Sony deserve to be taking such a pasting from Nintendo when they were the ones to take all the financial risks. In the world there is what there is and there is what you would like it to be. With that in mind i would say this is a waste of cyberspace.

A. Good point

2. Your avatar freaks me out.

D. I still don't think the PS3 deserves to beat anyone or anything in Japanese sales figures until it has at least 2 more jrpgs of any quality, no matter how ideologically wrong that sounds.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Branko2166 said:

It is true that the ps3 is currently lacking in jrpgs however there are several factors which account for this. These include-

1. A one year headstart by the 360

2. Sony's refusal to pay for 3rd party game exclusivity ( With possible exceptions like MGS4)

3. Microsoft being very agressive in paying for exclusive jrpgs

4. Sony being financially weaker due to their late entry and losses from hardware costs which in turn have left them with less money to spend on exclusives.

You could choose to judge sony and say that they don't care for the consumer but you could also say that they have made costly mistakes which in turn have made them less able to be agressive in pricing and purchasing exclusives. Personally while I do agree with you to an extent I don't believe that they don't care about gamers because it is these people that they heavily rely on to stay successful.

I agree with you, it's not fair to say Sony doesnt' care about gamers. It does appear that they simply care about profit more than Japanese gamers. Since my taste is aligned with Japanese gamers, I would say that I'm fairly well left out of the Sony plan of action as well.

Now, one thing you've said is that the 360 has a year headstart. That's a fair and excellent point brought up earlier. If Sony can give us a glimmer of hope in the next year(and it appears they will do so with WKS and Verses) then I'm all for giving them a fair shake.

However, right now does the PS3 deserve to be blowing up the charts in Japan? Hellz no.

I see where you're coming from and as I said earlier I mostly agree. I guess the reason why I'm a bit more optimistic is because to me it seems like the ps3 is performing similary to the ps1. It took a while to settle in but once it got going it delivered with great games across all genres. As it is made obvious by my avatar I too am a big jrpg fan and I got my first taste of the genre with the ps1 so I too hope that the ps3 will deliver some great jrpgs.

Even though I'm a bit of a Sony fanboy I don't mind a good discussion even when arguments are made against sony as long as they are founded on fact and logic. It's just that people like starcraft piss me off because they jump at every oppurtunity to talk smack without constructing their argument as well as you and others do. In any case the next few months will be very interesting and I really hope that WKC and FF XIII will deliver.

Ronster316 said:
blackstar said:
Ronster316 said:
Sony have taken Japan for granted......... And during that time Microsoft have slipped in there and taken a lot of the thunder away from sony......... Perhaps sony assumed that all they had to do was turn up at the party and everybody would buy a ps3 by default........... It doesn't work that way anymore in the gaming world....... Loyalty went out of the window the day Sega left the gaming hardware market and now gaming is fast becoming a free for all...... (yes, theres still people loyal to a console, myself included, but not as many as there were a few years ago)

Same in europe, Even sony fans can't deny that in recent years sony have treated europeans like dirt......... Massive launch prices, The ps3 coming to europe 4 months later than Japan and USA, The getaway and 8 days been cancelled, Backwards compatability given to you and then snatched away again, Homes launch been put back countless times, the list is endless..... They treat their fans badly and eventually one day its gonna come back to haunt them when the fans say..... Enough is enough

see the games i listed above and u will know that they didn't take for granted

the problem is MS are doing better there and they got the money so they can do whatever they want

sony gaming division is broke yet offered the games i listed above and ofcourse MS is doing better there but DOESN'T mean that Sony took japan for granted

Money talks........... Thats what got sony to where they are today in the gaming world....... Afterall, sony stopped EA from making games for the Sega dreamcast....... and no one can deny that sonys ruthless advertising was part of the reason why the Ps1 beat the Sega saturn and N64 back in the day............ The day sony entered the gaming market the writing was on the wall for Sega, Everywhere i went i saw a ps1 console or ps1 game adverts...... The side of buses, on the t.v., Giant billboards, Hell, i even went in a nightclub one night and saw a poster behind the bar for damn crash bandicoot lol, Sony were the origional  "corporation" in the gaming world and they themselves have always been happy to throw money around in order to secure exclusives....... Sega made mistakes yes, I wont deny that, But sonys financial muscle meant that Sega would have had to have had a huge bankroll to be able to compete........ and as we all know, They simply didn't have that kind of money......... Thats why i love it when people say "Microsoft paid them" Its just so ironic to me.............

i wasn't talking about the way MS and sony is handling things with money,, afterall it's all business and it's all fair

i was just saying that sony didn't take japan for granted but the great job MS is doing there is way BIGGER than what sony does there is making sony's effort small which is big in reality

all what sony needs is time ,, sadly it may be tooo late

It's looking like White Knight Chronicles will be the answer to the 360 and Sony's gift to JRPG fans. Seems its coming out in 08 (well barely, 12/25). Given that its from the makers of two of the 10 best games on the PS2 (the Dark Cloud series) I have pretty strong confidence that it will be the first 9+ JRPG of the generation.

It's not so much Sony doesn't care as it is making a PS3 game right takes a long time (actually making any game in HD right takes a long time) so a lot of the games that were started even before the PS3s release are just finishing now in some cases.

Though if Sony REALLY wanted to prove they cared, they'd make Legends of the Dragoon 2.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network
blackstar said:
Ronster316 said:
blackstar said:
Ronster316 said:
Sony have taken Japan for granted......... And during that time Microsoft have slipped in there and taken a lot of the thunder away from sony......... Perhaps sony assumed that all they had to do was turn up at the party and everybody would buy a ps3 by default........... It doesn't work that way anymore in the gaming world....... Loyalty went out of the window the day Sega left the gaming hardware market and now gaming is fast becoming a free for all...... (yes, theres still people loyal to a console, myself included, but not as many as there were a few years ago)

Same in europe, Even sony fans can't deny that in recent years sony have treated europeans like dirt......... Massive launch prices, The ps3 coming to europe 4 months later than Japan and USA, The getaway and 8 days been cancelled, Backwards compatability given to you and then snatched away again, Homes launch been put back countless times, the lis t is endless..... They treat their fans badly and eventually one day its gonna come back to haunt them when the fans say..... Enough is enough

the problem is MS are doing better there and they got the money so they can do whatever they want

sony gaming division is broke yet offered the games i listed above and ofcourse MS is doing better there but DOESN'T mean that Sony took japan for granted

Money talks........... Thats what got sony to where they are today in the gaming world....... Afterall, sony stopped EA from making games for the Sega dreamcast....... and no one can deny that sonys ruthless advertising was part of the reason why the Ps1 beat the Sega saturn and N64 back in the day............ The day sony entered the gaming market the writing was on the wall for Sega, Everywhere i went i saw a ps1 console or ps1 game adverts...... The side of buses, on the t.v., Giant billboards, Hell, i even went in a nightclub one night and saw a poster behind the bar for damn crash bandicoot lol, Sony were the origional  "corporation" in the gaming world and they themselves have always been happy to throw money around in order to secure exclusives....... Sega made mistakes yes, I wont deny that, But sonys financial muscle meant that Sega would have had to have had a huge bankroll to be able to compete........ and as we all know, They simply didn't have that kind of money......... Thats why i love it when people say "Microsoft paid them" Its just so ironic to me.............

i wasn't talking about the way MS and sony is handling things with money,, afterall it's all business and it's all fair

i was just saying that sony didn't take japan for granted but the great job MS is doing there is way BIGGER than what sony does there is making sony's effort small which is big in reality

Dude come on you're like the most pessimistic PS3 fan ever. Before you proclaim anything "too late," let's wait til after the holidays, and after WKC drops at the least.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Sony? Success? Japan? These words don't match. I agree with Starcraft on this one. Sony has shown that they are  incapable of fighting or even trying to fight this Generation.

Ms on the other hand, has demonstrated that they would do anything to win no matter the consequences. Yes, MS have more money to burn, But Sony has done nothing in Japan, nothing.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
Sony havent done anything wrong. How can they not deserve success?

They did do something wrong. They certainly don't deserve to be successful in Japan when they've chosen profit over gamers.

Oh, and Nintendo is making no money, but hes pushing out millions of hardcore games... common. Its all about the profit, or holding the foot in the door like MS does.

Anyways, this is yet another useless thread created by Starcraft... common, how can something deserve anything? Its the consumers choice to buy or dont buy the product. If the Japanese people say that they want the PS3 over the 360 than it means that Sony deserved the semi-success they got...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

blackstar said:
Ronster316 said:
blackstar said:
Ronster316 said:

Same in europe, Even sony fans can't deny that in recent years sony have treated europeans like dirt......... Massive launch prices, The ps3 coming to europe 4 months later than Japan and USA, The getaway and 8 days been cancelled, Backwards compatability given to you and then snatched away again, Homes launch been put back countless times, the list is endless..... They treat their fans badly and eventually one day its gonna come back to haunt them when the fans say..... Enough is enough

Its a strange business the gaming world........ Sony for me just could have done more to really dominate over in Japan (home territory) MS have done an amazing job in america (home territory)....... Things will undoubtedly pick up for sony in a big way in Japan when FFXIII VS for example is out, (FFXIII is the number 1 game that Japanese fans want based on a poll by famitsu) But for now it looks like microsoft could enjoy quite a lenghty boost purely based on the strength of the JRPG's they are releasing now or in the next few months in Japan

ZenfoldorVGI, Sorry my avatar freaks you out. I loved Manhunt (one of the very little it would seem) it reminded me of the first time i played Doom 1. I agree that Sony need to get some jrpg's on board but i really don't like the word deserve. I think it was used in a cynical attempt to provoke reaction not spark debate

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups