By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does anyone actually believe Sony deserves to do well in Japan?

Sony HAS done well in Japan, have you not noticed the PSP being the number one, or at worst number 2, selling system there for months? I bet before its over the PSP will have come close to PS2 sales unless its replaced in the near future.

As far as the PS3 goes it is mainly a question of 360 moneyhatting to get JRPGs. Luckily, money has only bought timed exclusives it seems since the 360 isn't really driving sales. The 360s failures in Japan are what leads Eternal Sonata and other 360 "exclusives" down to path to "also on the PS3". In another year or 2 it will become quite apparent that the 360 is another Xbox brand also ran in Japan. Notice they are at 1/4th PS3 sales despite being out first and 1/10th Wii sales, if anyone has a success outside the US problem its Microsoft.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network
blackstar said:
WNC says hi
and FFXIII exclusive in japan says hey
FFXIII versus says hello
the sega RPG game say how are u -can't spell the name right-

So, what you're saying is that one day they will deserve to do well, but right now they don't?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

No doubt Sony has made plenty of mistakes this generation. Having said that they are working to overcome those mistakes and while they aren't doing great in Japan there is certainly plenty of room for improvement.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but the way you have structured your post, an uninformed person would think that the 360 is heavily outperforming the ps3 in Japan. While it is true that the 360 has had a few good weeks in Japan and that is especially true for the last week where it also beat out the wii, the overall picture is very bleak. The fact that the console has sold ~700k in almost 3 years in the Japanese market speaks for itself.

Having said all that congrats to MS for having a great week in Japan. I just don't know why you continually insist on trying to spread negative propaganda against Sony. Seriously just enjoy the fact that the 360 has had a very good week. No matter how hard you try it won't change the fact that thus far the 360 has underperformed in Japan and rightly or wrongly the ps3 has performed better in sales and in all likelihood will continue to do so in Japan at least.

Tekken - i doubt it to stay exclusive but if it stays- then it says good morning

ANYWAY , i do believe that 360 deserves to do better there, less than 1 million consoles in 2 years and a half is a joke

Impulsivity said:
Sony HAS done well in Japan, have you not noticed the PSP being the number one, or at worst number 2, selling system there for months? I bet before its over the PSP will have come close to PS2 sales unless its replaced in the near future.

As far as the PS3 goes it is mainly a question of 360 moneyhatting to get JRPGs. Luckily, money has only bought timed exclusives it seems since the 360 isn't really driving sales. The 360s failures in Japan are what leads Eternal Sonata and other 360 "exclusives" down to path to "also on the PS3". In another year or 2 it will become quite apparent that the 360 is another Xbox brand also ran in Japan. Notice they are at 1/4th PS3 sales despite being out first and 1/10th Wii sales, if anyone has a success outside the US problem its Microsoft.

That's the most biased and anti-Microsoft post I've ever read. It's a common reoccourance with you to attack an opposing console instead of touting your own. I think you have an inferiority complex.

@bolded

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PSP&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS2&reg2=Japan&cons3=DS&reg3=Japan&weeks=337

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
blackstar said:
WNC says hi
and FFXIII exclusive in japan says hey
FFXIII versus says hello
the sega RPG game say how are u -can't spell the name right-

So, what you're saying is that one day they will deserve to do well, but right now they don't?

yes ,,

but don't forget that most the 360 rpgs got released this year wich is the third year in it's lifetime,,

the third year for the ps3 is the next year and it will rock

Sony have taken Japan for granted......... And during that time Microsoft have slipped in there and taken a lot of the thunder away from sony......... Perhaps sony assumed that all they had to do was turn up at the party and everybody would buy a ps3 by default........... It doesn't work that way anymore in the gaming world....... Loyalty went out of the window the day Sega left the gaming hardware market and now gaming is fast becoming a free for all...... (yes, theres still people loyal to a console, myself included, but not as many as there were a few years ago)

Same in europe, Even sony fans can't deny that in recent years sony have treated europeans like dirt......... Massive launch prices, The ps3 coming to europe 4 months later than Japan and USA, The getaway and 8 days been cancelled, Backwards compatability given to you and then snatched away again, Homes launch been put back countless times, the list is endless..... They treat their fans badly and eventually one day its gonna come back to haunt them when the fans say..... Enough is enough

I think Starcraft meant, "Does the PS3 deserve the success it is currently experiencing in Japan, despite the fact that they have clearly chosen profit over gamers?"

Now, you could argue that the question is skewed and that the 360's sales in Japan are a joke.

However, the PS3 not having one half-assed passable jrpg released yet in Japan is also a joke, and the reason they don't have those games released is because they are unwilling to fund or purchase them, or at least that is one possible result of their policy not to buy 3rd party support anymore.

This is compounded off the fact that the genre is one, if not the main reason the PS2, and even moreso the PS1 were so hugely successful.

Add to that the fact that the Japanese-centric games released on the PS3 have been mostly 3rd parties, and no big tent-pole titles have yet to be released for the console, from the publisher itself, and the fact that Sony has seen fit to fund a number of high profile first person shooters over other games that could also appeal to the Japanese audience, and I, as a gamer, feel I have the right to judge Sony on this one.

I don't think they deserve the relatively success they have garnered over the Xbox 360 in Japan. Even if you were to believe that every 360 jrpg was crap, which I promise you they are not, at least they are trying, and focusing on making gamers happy instead of profit, which isn't something that a single one of us, as gamers, should care about.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

blackstar said:

yes ,,

but don't forget that most the 360 rpgs got released this year wich is the third year in it's lifetime,,

the third year for the ps3 is the next year and it will rock

Actually...that's a fair and valid point. I believe in redemption, and if Sony can deliver the jrpg goods, I'll grant that they can make up the ground they have lost in my mind about their performance and treatment of Japanese gamers.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Ronster316 said:
Sony have taken Japan for granted......... And during that time Microsoft have slipped in there and taken a lot of the thunder away from sony......... Perhaps sony assumed that all they had to do was turn up at the party and everybody would buy a ps3 by default........... It doesn't work that way anymore in the gaming world....... Loyalty went out of the window the day Sega left the gaming hardware market and now gaming is fast becoming a free for all...... (yes, theres still people loyal to a console, myself included, but not as many as there were a few years ago)

Same in europe, Even sony fans can't deny that in recent years sony have treated europeans like dirt......... Massive launch prices, The ps3 coming to europe 4 months later than Japan and USA, The getaway and 8 days been cancelled, Backwards compatability given to you and then snatched away again, Homes launch been put back countless times, the list is endless..... They treat their fans badly and eventually one day its gonna come back to haunt them when the fans say..... Enough is enough

see the games i listed above and u will know that they didn't take for granted

the problem is MS are doing better there and they got the money so they can do whatever they want

sony gaming division is broke yet offered the games i listed above and ofcourse MS is doing better there but DOESN'T mean that Sony took japan for granted