By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2009: The Wii finally comes of age

Soriku said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Soriku said:
BMaker11 said:
It's subjective, I guess, but the Wii is going to be the one console that wins NOT because it has the best games....ironic, ain't it?

How are you saying that when the Wii will be here for years to come still?

Besides, that's just opinion. I think the Wii has better games than the PS3 and 360.

You may be the only one that thinks that.Face it ,saying the Wii has better games or game library that either the 360 or the PS3 is like saying the Sega 32X has better games that the Game Cube or Wii.A nonsense.

I love people who think their opinion is fact. If people didn't think highly of the Wii's line up, why is it outselling the 360 and PS3 combined?

Tell you the truth....no clue.

The Wii started outselling both the moment is was released. Are you telling me it's LAUNCH games are making it outsell the competitors? Or the Wario: Shake It (recently released)?

I've said it before in another thread somewhere. It's the novelty of waggling. People think, "Oh I want a Wii because I CAN BE IN THE GAME", so it doesn't matter how crappy the game is (come on now, why are all the Wii reviews for multiplat games so much lower?) the fact that you're controlling the motions is the kicker. Otherwise, why do you think that chart of "the most quality games" ever showed up, having the PS3 as the highest and the Wii as the lowest? All the shovelware (and there is tons of it) throws off the average.

Yeah, go ahead and play the Wii version of MAdden, I'll play the original

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Soriku said:

I love people who think their opinion is fact. If people didn't think highly of the Wii's line up, why is it outselling the 360 and PS3 combined?

The Wii started outselling both the moment is was released. Are you telling me it's LAUNCH games are making it outsell the competitors? Or the Wario: Shake It (recently released)?

I've said it before in another thread somewhere. It's the novelty of waggling. People think, "Oh I want a Wii because I CAN BE IN THE GAME", so it doesn't matter how crappy the game is (come on now, why are all the Wii reviews for multiplat games so much lower?) the fact that you're controlling the motions is the kicker. Otherwise, why do you think that chart of "the most quality games" ever showed up, having the PS3 as the highest and the Wii as the lowest? All the shovelware (and there is tons of it) throws off the average.

I'll pass along a tip I learned back in high school. When you start out by saying "I have no idea what's going on here", it's usually best to not act like you have a clue a few seconds later. The admission of ignorance weighs heavily in the reader's mind, and thus destroys your credibitility before you've even begun.

The damage gets even worse when your claim is unsupported drivel, quod erat demonstradum. While we, your fellow forum-readers, appreciate your honesty in the first sentence, and are now all quite willing to agree that you have no clue, we were quite happy to take your word on the matter of your ignorance; the definitive proof you've just offered, while unassailable, was also superfluous.

BoleroOfFire said:
OT: I can't wait 'til 2009! Wait, yes I can, I'll just get some of those upcoming 2008 titles and keep playing the great games I have now.

Too true Bolero, too true.

While 2009's gonna be one heck of a year for Wii owners, there's plenty of games coming up this winter that will keep me occupied and poor.

BMaker11 said:

The Wii is outselling becuase of the "fun" factor -- it is not as complicated or confusing or confounding as other games. So people can just jump in and play.

You call it the waggle. I call it accessibility. About the only group who does not seem to embrasse the Wii in large numbers are males 15-24 who want to only play on-line FPS games -- not that there is anything wrong wit that. But it is one of two experiences that the Wii does not offer very well right now. (The other is RPGs, but it seems as if those interested in that genre also like some of the game types on the Wii).

Reviews for Wii versions of mulitplatform games are lower because the review cares only about graphics or the company did not make a good version. There are instances where they are higher -- from the Godfather port to some of the reviews of Tiger Woods. However, because some people over-emphasize eye candy and there are fewer sources of Wii reviews, a couple of out-of-step reviews can drag down an agregate review score.

I will play Madden on my Wii when I pick up the latest version -- probably after my next business trip. I look forward to calling my own shots -- something that can't be done on the other versions.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- Just remember, to play the original Madden, you will need an Apple II.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Soriku said:
@BMaker

What chart? The only PS3 game out rignt now I'd be interested in is Disgaea 3 but there's plenty of Wii games alraady out that are good for me. Oh, and I don't play garbage like Madden. Enjoy Madden, I'll pass for better games.

No matter how you spin it, it's your opinion, not a common view.

This isn't the original site that posted it, but here's the chart:

http://www.wiiwii.tv/2008/02/13/the-average-wii-game-is-rubbish-and-heres-the-evidence/

Yeah, and call Madden grabage....I could have swore it was the most "casual" game that drew in tons of people

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
BMaker11 said:

The Wii is outselling becuase of the "fun" factor -- it is not as complicated or confusing or confounding as other games. So people can just jump in and play.

You call it the waggle. I call it accessibility. About the only group who does not seem to embrasse the Wii in large numbers are males 15-24 who want to only play on-line FPS games -- not that there is anything wrong wit that. But it is one of two experiences that the Wii does not offer very well right now. (The other is RPGs, but it seems as if those interested in that genre also like some of the game types on the Wii).

Reviews for Wii versions of mulitplatform games are lower because the review cares only about graphics or the company did not make a good version. There are instances where they are higher -- from the Godfather port to some of the reviews of Tiger Woods. However, because some people over-emphasize eye candy and there are fewer sources of Wii reviews, a couple of out-of-step reviews can drag down an agregate review score.

I will play Madden on my Wii when I pick up the latest version -- probably after my next business trip. I look forward to calling my own shots -- something that can't be done on the other versions.

Mike from Morgantown

At no point in there did you state that it was because of the games that people are buying the Wii. You called it the "fun factor", but your just going around what I initially said. When it starts coming out with games that the majority of people claim "OMG ITS THE BEST GAME THIS GEN", then we can talk.

Until then, don't try and spin the fact, which I originally claimed, that the Wii doesn't have the best library yet it's outselling it's competitors. Nintendo hasn't had a "best library" since the SNES

2009 is looking to be really good...

The Conduit
Cursed Mountain
Wii Sports Resort
House of the Dead: Overkill*
MadWorld
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden
Red Steel 2
Sadness (maybe)*
Sonic and the Black Knight*
Star Wars Battlefront III**

*Speculating they might not be that great...
**Rumored

I find Madden and generally sports game to stand out in the VG market. I have met lots of people who have a console for just there preffered sports and one other game. One of my co workers only plays madden, his friends come over to only play madden since non of them have consoles. He is a media technophile so he purchased a 50" HDTV so he can watch his game in highres. So of course he purchased the PS3 for the highest graphical purposes. He does not buy other games though he had a PS2 from nearly the begining. Does this mean he is "harcore" or casual? he knows teams, scores all of that stuff that goes with American Football.

What this comes out to is that the the largest purchasers of sports games are probably in his range and not in the generall "casual" area. So I personally don't believe that football, hockey, american football will ever be serious sellers on the Wii until they have something the Wii can do better. Golf anyone?

As for best library, well that's an opinion. I admit that PS3 and 360 have some good games I would like to play, but Wii is no slough either. As mentioned golf. Seriously what's the better way to play golf? analog stick? meteres and buttons? Boom Blox is awesome. It has an excellent platformer and is over a pretty good line up of games. What it lacks is some serious RPGs and a bigger list of adventure action games. It has it's week points that for sure. We will see if some of the games coming out will help. Monster Hunter 3, Tenchu 4....

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

BMaker11 said:

When it starts coming out with games that the majority of people claim "OMG ITS THE BEST GAME THIS GEN", then we can talk.

You don't hear that because that looking this way towards games is not in the values of the system.

Wii Sport is by numerous aspects the "BEST RRUXORSZ GAME" of this gen, But nobody cares (rightfully). 

On PS3/Xbox360, you have every 2 monthes a "game of the millenium" (GTA4, then MGS4, and tomorrow GT5), because looking that way to games is inside the values they bring ...

BMaker11 said:
mike_intellivision said:
BMaker11 said:

Mike from Morgantown

At no point in there did you state that it was because of the games that people are buying the Wii. You called it the "fun factor", but your just going around what I initially said. When it starts coming out with games that the majority of people claim "OMG ITS THE BEST GAME THIS GEN", then we can talk.

Until then, don't try and spin the fact, which I originally claimed, that the Wii doesn't have the best library yet it's outselling it's competitors. Nintendo hasn't had a "best library" since the SNES

That's funny--I could've sworn that the Wii had the highest-rated game of the generation.  It also has the highest-rated fighting game in the generation, both of which MANY people have said "OMG ITS THE BEST GAME THIS GEN".

So, can we talk now?

BTW, Quantum of Solace will be popping into my Wii this holiday

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."