By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 > PS3 in August. Is it a sign of things to come?

FishyJoe said:

A bit of advice, don't love or believe in any company. All they care about is money.

I take that back. I do love companies that can make me money. I love that a lot.

you're right.

I guess I meant something more along the lines of: If you love the PS3 so much, then believe in it's selling power as the best hd console out there.

Has anyone considered that if Microsoft actually succeeds in their plan of expanding their userbase into the casual market, they will be entering the wii's market; which would accomplish 2 things:

1) they would be alienating their previous demographic

2) And most importantly, they would be percieved to be in the same lower priced market as the wii, (even if it is an hd console) - which would leave the PS3 as the absolute clear choice for anyone looking for a high tech, quality hd system.

That is what people will see when they walk into the stores. By lowering the price of the 360 in such a way, it will eventually isolate the PS3 at the top of their hd market... instead of having to split it with Microsoft. - Which is just what Sony wants.

I have to really give kudos to Sony for pulling this off, (as it will happen eventually)

before 2008, Sony was in a heep of trouble, by the end of 08, the 360 will be half its price just to keep up. (which is a great strategy in a way... dont get me wrong)

I hate to sound like the broken record spinning fanboy delights, but this truly is the year of the PS3. (when compared to the 360 anyways)

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

Slow month all around for the HD consoles. It's going to be neck and neck down to the wire but both consoles will generate great software sales and revenue for this holiday season. It is very weird though, NPD seems to opposite of what most ppl think the numbers will be. Lets face it a lot of ppl including myself pegged the 360 winning July which was false. And then this month a lot of ppl, again including myself, pegged the PS3 to win but it ended in a virtual tie. (Speaking strictly HD console sales, Wii pwned all).

Also, if someone bought a 360 for Too Human I need to personally shake his or her hand. I've defended the game and I have a lot of fun with it but seriously, Too Human is far from a system seller.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

mrstickball said:
Retrasado said:

no, it won't, but in any case, a PS3 price drop will have a greater effect than a 360 price drop because the PS3 is more expensive.

Also, stickball, there's no way the 360 is going to beat PS3 sales by 500000 in December alone. Last year, when the PS3 was selling waaaaaaaay less in NA, the 360 sold 412000 more units in NA then the PS3.

May I ask what's changed between December 2007 and September 2008 that would allow the Playstation 3 to close the gap by a large margin? I'd really like to see some Sony fanpeople answers using hard facts & numbers rather than just attack my logic by saying "no it won't"

Here's the way I look at it:

December 2007 Catalyst Information:

• Xbox 360 price drop occurred 4 months before December (early August), 10% price reduction (on Arcade)
  • Playstation 3 price drop occurred roughly 1 and 1/2 months before December (mid October), 20% price reduction
  • Halo 3 (largest X360 software title) launched 2 months before December
  • Playstation 3 had no uber-exclusive to drive sales

December 2008 Catalyst Information:

• Xbox 360 price drop occurred 3 months before December (early September), 30% price reduction (on Arcade)
  • Playstation 3 - No price drop (assumption)
  • Fable 2 & Banjo Kazooie (largest exclusive software titles) launch 1-2 months before December
  • Resistance 2 and LBP (largest exclusive software titles) launch 1-2 months before December

Now, with those comparisons, I am not understanding how, without a price drop, Sony is going to be able to compete during Christmas. Could someone care to tell me why and how the average consumer is going to snatch up a $400 gaming system vs. a $200 one, that would put them on an equal (or near equal) selling level?

Well i don't know exactly what has changed in the timeframe dec '07- sept '08 but i can look at the salesnumbers for each year Mr. stickball...

march 07 -  dec 07  PS3 sold 2.3 million, XBOX360 sold 4.4 million

jan 08 - sept 08 PS3 sold 2.2 million, XBOX360 sold 2.1 million

So to me it does not seem likely that your 'way of looking at it' is entirely UNBIASED???

Apparantly throughout the entire year the 'average consumer' is picking up this extremely expensive gaming system just about as often as the system that already was a lot cheaper...

weaveworld said:

Well i don't know exactly what has changed in the timeframe dec '07- sept '08 but i can look at the salesnumbers for each year Mr. stickball...

march 07 -  dec 07  PS3 sold 2.3 million, XBOX360 sold 4.4 million

jan 08 - sept 08 PS3 sold 2.2 million, XBOX360 sold 2.1 million

So to me it does not seem likely that your 'way of looking at it' is entirely UNBIASED???

Apparantly throughout the entire year the 'average consumer' is picking up this extremely expensive gaming system just about as often as the system that already was a lot cheaper...

What that tells me is that during Christmas, and the holiday timeframe (Nov-Dec) is far more important than any other part of the year.

Lets look at the timeframe(s) of Jan-Sept, and Oct-Dec --- 9 months to a mere 3 months.

System Jan-Sept Sales Oct-Dec Sales Chg.
Xbox 360 2007 2,386,000 2,667,000 +17.0%
Xbox 360 2006 2,278,000 2,153,000 -5.4%
Playstation 3 2007 1,330,000 1,432,000 +7.6%

Now, looking at that shows one major thing: October through December sales, depending on who has momentum, will determine how the entire year plays out. In 2007, the X360 had strong momentum due to Halo 3, and it's first-ever price drop...Therefore it saw a very robust 17% increase vs. the entire 9 months before it. Likewise, the PS3 got a price cut in mid October due to the 40GBs, and saw a decent increase vs. the previous 9 months. This is in contrast to the Xbox 360 in 2006, which had only a few games to brighten up sales (Gears of War), but no price drop, and a rather restrictive pricetag of $300/$400.

Now, I must ask you: Will buyers at Christmas time pick up a much more expensive ($400) system or the much cheaper one ($200)? I believe they will pick up the cheaper one. That is the crux of my argument: The reason the Wii sells so well is not only the innovation behind the device, but the fact that it's certainly the cheapest too. I think that, at a $200 price point, we'll see a lot more systems move this Christmas.

I stick to my prediction: If the Playstation 3 does not recieve a price cut before Christmas in the USA/NA, the Xbox 360 will beat the Playstation 3 by 500,000 units in December. If you'd like to take me up on a ban bet, or sig bet, I will gladly do that with you, weave.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Damn mrstickball... gotta give it to you. arguments are there...and you stick to your theories.

If I cared about sales i'd get involved here but I really don't.

Considering all the amazing games that came out on the 360 last month on xbox live...its not a surprise it won the month. I'm glad that atleast one continent is left for the hardcore gamer with the Madden victory...

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Damn mrstickball... gotta give it to you. arguments are there...and you stick to your theories.

If I cared about sales i'd get involved here but I really don't.

Considering all the amazing games that came out on the 360 last month on xbox live...its not a surprise it won the month. I'm glad that atleast one continent is left for the hardcore gamer with the Madden victory...

Well, if you don't have hard numbers, and understand the marketplace, anything else you say is fanboy bias, or stupidity. And I'd rather go on record with solid numbers vs. ranting without something to back it up.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@Impulsivity, true the euro is riding high right now, but from what i have been reading its just a stones throw from tumbling down, i expect parity with in the next year for the euro/dollar, not so much dollar gains, but euro losses and dollar short term stability in the face of the euro fall. form that point i have no idea as yet, rate cuts, the election, and all kinds of things will have effects .... and honestly its all almost smoke and mirrors if you can get enough people to believe a monatary unit is strong then the market will say its so...

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

DMeisterJ said:
Fernando said:
DMeisterJ said:
August is a slow month.

Only hardware that came out was Too Human and Madden.

Did you expect PS3s to sell crazy good without a game?

And why did the Wii sold like crazy? It didn't had a good game release.

This thread has what to do with the Wii?

I would answer the question, but there's no reason to, since this thread is talking about the PS360.

Why bring the Wii into this thread?

So fucking annoying.

Yeah, stick to the topic. Thats what we all should do...am i right DMJ???? (=

OT: Well, lets just open our eyes. There is no way, the ps3 would not end up selling more than the X360 at the end. Maybe september will be for the X360....probably the holidays, but i expect the ps3 to sell more than the X360 all next year.

CGI-Quality said:

So as a STRONG Sony supporter I was a bit disappointed by the sales of 360 hardware NPD app. 195,000 and PS3 app. 185,000 in the month of August but do you think this is a sign of another bad time for Sony or is this something minor. I mean yes, it was just 10,000 but as people have put it a win is a win so what do you think is Sony in trouble or what?

P.S. - Hopefully this isn't a repost

I cannot think why anyone would think SONY was in trouble because of these points I had made in a news thread:

•The PS3 is presently at +15 million worldwide.

•Third party developers are still backing the PS3.

•Third party developers are coming out more and more claiming that it's becoming easier to program for the PS3.

•More and more PS3 and 360 games are becoming more and more on par with quality if not better.

•And there is a demand for the PS3 while worldwide sales are what really counts.

Essentially the games are there for the PS3, people want and are buying it, and the growing userbase is more than sufficent enough to sustain healthy 3rd party support.  I don't see where there is a problem unless someone can name unrefutable specifics.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

mrstickball said:
Retrasado said:

no, it won't, but in any case, a PS3 price drop will have a greater effect than a 360 price drop because the PS3 is more expensive.

Also, stickball, there's no way the 360 is going to beat PS3 sales by 500000 in December alone. Last year, when the PS3 was selling waaaaaaaay less in NA, the 360 sold 412000 more units in NA then the PS3.

May I ask what's changed between December 2007 and September 2008 that would allow the Playstation 3 to close the gap by a large margin? I'd really like to see some Sony fanpeople answers using hard facts & numbers rather than just attack my logic by saying "no it won't"

Here's the way I look at it:

December 2007 Catalyst Information:

• Xbox 360 price drop occurred 4 months before December (early August), 10% price reduction (on Arcade)
  • Playstation 3 price drop occurred roughly 1 and 1/2 months before December (mid October), 20% price reduction
  • Halo 3 (largest X360 software title) launched 2 months before December
  • Playstation 3 had no uber-exclusive to drive sales

December 2008 Catalyst Information:

• Xbox 360 price drop occurred 3 months before December (early September), 30% price reduction (on Arcade)
  • Playstation 3 - No price drop (assumption)
  • Fable 2 & Banjo Kazooie (largest exclusive software titles) launch 1-2 months before December
  • Resistance 2 and LBP (largest exclusive software titles) launch 1-2 months before December

Now, with those comparisons, I am not understanding how, without a price drop, Sony is going to be able to compete during Christmas. Could someone care to tell me why and how the average consumer is going to snatch up a $400 gaming system vs. a $200 one, that would put them on an equal (or near equal) selling level?

Maybe, just maybe, the "average consumer" (or most any consumer) doesn't buy something he doesn't want no matter how cheap it is. Also, the $200 360 Arcade and the $400 80GB PS3 comes with different hardware and accessory configurations so you are almost comparing apples to oranges here. I by no means am saying that no one wants the 360 Arcade and everyone wants the $400 80GB PS3. But what I am saying is that you are making such a subjective and closed-minded point when varying factors apply to varying preferences to varying consumers. And because of that if the "average consumer" looks at the price and just the price ALONE as a purchasing criteria for two different products, I'd hate to see what the "below average consumer" would do. In your last post you said:

"Well, if you don't have hard numbers, and understand the marketplace, anything else you say is fanboy bias, or stupidity."

Well, how about understanding that you are just one consumer out of millions in which those millions do not exactly think the way you do, and thank God for that because "anything else you say is fanboy bias, or stupidity."

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.