By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 > PS3 in August. Is it a sign of things to come?

starcraft said:
Skeeuk said:

ps3 was supply constained and 360 only does 10k more, come on thats gotta be a joke

PS3 was not in any way supply constrained.

It is impressive the Xbox 360 managed to outsell the PS3 when for most of the month consumers were aware of an upcoming price cut.  I guess that really shows a public desire to play the Xbox 360's expansive and high quality games library.

i don't know why people are claiming that the ps3 was supply constrained.

but i think the ps3 faired pretty well against the 360 so far this year in NA in my opinion. if anything, sony have nothing to worry about. i don't know why everybody is going into damage control. hasn't the ps3 come out on top of the 360 in the majority of npd releases this year?

somebody please correct me if i'm wrong.

Around the Network

We can only say.........PS3 DOOMED

starcraft said:
Skeeuk said:

ps3 was supply constained and 360 only does 10k more, come on thats gotta be a joke

It is impressive the Xbox 360 managed to outsell the PS3 when for most of the month consumers were aware of an upcoming price cut.  I guess that really shows a public desire to play the Xbox 360's expansive and high quality games library.

If you want to play Spinnarooni, the PS3 40gb was being liquidated in August. Multiple retailers reported that the PS3 was supply strained in AUGUST.  The third week though, thats when 80gb started seeping in.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Probably not on its own - ask after September sales are in.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Win for the 360 in America does not change much, the gap between 360 and the PS3 is still significant in that region, and Sony will have a tough time if they still planning to outsell the 360 in NA overall. Because i the Price-Cut will have the biggest effect during the holiday season when price becomes one of the most important factors, and people that will be buying the product might not be best imformed about it's features. And most parents will choose more economical option for their children

But the PS3 still does well in Europe, and thats the region they should concentrate on, because in Both Japan and America they do struggle.

And at the end of the day, it will be the Wii that will continue to dominate ( i just thougth i drop it in, because people tend to forget that MS and Sony fight for 2nd place)

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Skeeuk said:

LOL!

Funny.  The price drop wasn't announced until a week before 9/5 which was the last two days of the data for NPD. 

You sure it didn't have anything to do with Madden selling 1 million units?  The remaining Pro's in stock?  Or actually having an exclusive (though not so good) game come out (Too Human)?

The fact that XBOX 360 this month (185k) managed to do less than the PS3 did last month (224k (?)) when PS3 had no games out shows a public desire to play games versus no games at all.

Official NPD numbers for August.

Here are August NPD hardware sales figures:

- DS: 518.3K 89.7K (-14.75%)
- Wii: 453K 102K (-18.37%)
- PSP: 253K 31.3K (12.49%)
- Xbox 360: 195.2K 9.6K (-4.68%)
- PS3: 185.4K 39.5K (-17.56%)
- PS2: 144.1K 11.4K (-7.33%)

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

ssj12 said:
it was only behind by 10k.... like I said in the Official August NPD thread. It is way to close to call who really won August. It is a draw.

You are correct it was 10k but it was still a 360 victory I have been reading posts for the past three weeks stating the 360 would never again beat the PS3 in sales and it beat it on a month BEFORE the price cuts, that could be omnious sign for Sony which clearly had the momentum

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

talkingparrot said:
For the PS3 to be selling this many units at 399, is quite a feat. The Xbox 360 this month had ToV and Too Human. The PS3 is championing out a huge amount of sales while having supply issues.

TOV and to human sure did not seel consoles, there are threads on the boards about was HAze or Too Human a bigger bomb...lol

HanzoTheRazor said:
mrstickball said:
fjb -- Exactly how is the Playstation 3 going to beat the Xbox 360 in North America when it's the same price as last year (during Christmas), and the Xbox 360 is $80 less for the base unit?

The Xbox 360 has a good chance, if Sony doesn't drop the price, to beat the Playstation 3 in North America by over 500,000 units or more in December alone.

Keep dreamin' mate. One thing is for sure, u 360 fanboys are sure naive! Lets say that the PS3 will beat the 360 in NA this comming holiday season, even with the 360's desperate price cut. Now, if this happens, then SONY will have proven the 360 is failing. Naive fanboys should open their eyes a little bit. 2 things to note; 1. SONY's line up this year is just as strong as the 360's for the 1st time. 2. SONY can lower the price anytime, after all, it's just a price.

Now who is dreamin, Sony can not cut the price anytime, they have a duty to there shareholders to make money and this console has lost almost 2 billion and they are not making money on each sales to this day (about break even) at $400.00.  So unlike MS they cant just drop the price.