By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 > PS3 in August. Is it a sign of things to come?

talkingparrot said:
For the PS3 to be selling this many units at 399, is quite a feat. The Xbox 360 this month had ToV and Too Human. The PS3 is championing out a huge amount of sales while having supply issues.

True, but I think it has to do with MGS4 more than anything else.

Again... ToV and Too Human (both low sales & niche games) are not system sellers. If it was Gears of Wars or Fable 2 that  would be something to talk about. 

They all have the so called "supply issues". 

But, amazingly I saw a bunch of PS3s at my local Game stop today and I am in a metro area.

PSN: Wildcard975
Live Tag: Wildcard360

PS360 - Best of Both Worlds

Around the Network

Of course you are only talking about US sales right? It's pretty much a given that the PS3 will be number 2 worldwide for the year (and probably sell the most consoles every month from now through december to boot worldwide).

You do know that one Euro spent on software/hardware in Europe is worth 1.5 dollars spent here right? That the European market is more and more the one that matters thanks to the debt hole we've been driven into from years and years of bush spending/tax cuts? The PS3 will be the number 2 console outside the US by the end of the year. It already would be if not for Britain and Australia the pseudo America outliers. In most European countries the PS3 has the 360 beaten 2:1.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

mrstickball said:
fjb -- Exactly how is the Playstation 3 going to beat the Xbox 360 in North America when it's the same price as last year (during Christmas), and the Xbox 360 is $80 less for the base unit?

The Xbox 360 has a good chance, if Sony doesn't drop the price, to beat the Playstation 3 in North America by over 500,000 units or more in December alone.

Keep dreamin' mate. One thing is for sure, u 360 fanboys are sure naive! Lets say that the PS3 will beat the 360 in NA this comming holiday season, even with the 360's desperate price cut. Now, if this happens, then SONY will have proven the 360 is failing. Naive fanboys should open their eyes a little bit. 2 things to note; 1. SONY's line up this year is just as strong as the 360's for the 1st time. 2. SONY can lower the price anytime, after all, it's just a price.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Wildcard975 said:
talkingparrot said:
For the PS3 to be selling this many units at 399, is quite a feat. The Xbox 360 this month had ToV and Too Human. The PS3 is championing out a huge amount of sales while having supply issues.

True, but I think it has to do with MGS4 more than anything else.

Again... ToV and Too Human (both low sales & niche games) are not system sellers. If it was Gears of Wars or Fable 2 that  would be something to talk about. 

They all have the so called "supply issues". 

But, amazingly I saw a bunch of PS3s at my local Game stop today and I am in a metro area.

The PS3 has been fully re-stocked for 2 weeks now.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

@Widcard975

U say because of MGS4? Well, yes, but that was back in May/June. The MGS4 bundles have been discontinued now. The new 80g's that are now selling really well at the moment do not have any games bundled.

Also, u say if it was Gears 2 it would move systems, how so? The 360 will not get much of a HW boost from 2, as most of the people who will buy 2 already own a 360 and Gears 1 [like myself and probably u too]. And, as for Fable 2, yeh, it will get a small HW boost from this game.

On the other hand, the PS3 will get HW boosts from LBP, Socom, R2 and White Knight Chronicals being released this year in Japan.

Around the Network

This was the year PS3 was supposed to make its move, and it's only up 300k in North America? And it's likely to lose by 100k in September if the reports on post-price cut sales are even close to accurate, which means 360 does still have a chance to beat or tie PS3 for the year.

PS3 is not doomed, thanks to Europe in particular, but it's hard to really feel great about the PS3's chances based on current numbers. It's never really caught fire, except for the one big month around MGS4.

If I had to make a bet, I'd say the price difference is too great for the PS3 to win this year in North America. Price makes an even bigger difference around holiday time, especially in this economy. I know some of you guys are pretty young and don't realize what it's like trying to make dollars stretch around the holidays and please everybody. Even if the price difference convinces just 3k people a week between now and Christmas to buy 360 over PS3, that's about a 100k swing (+48k extra for 360, and -48k less for PS3). And I think 3k is a reasonable number on average (less in Sept./more in Dec.) Plus the additional people that make the plunge for a 360 instead of or in addition to a Wii. The lower price makes it an attractive second console.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Where's the "No" button?

obieslut said:
WW is what counts my son

Exactly. It is a close race immediately after the 360 has been cut to half the price of the PS3.

Go Microsoft?

It amazes me how dramatic people are on this site. How quickly you react, and how insecure many of you are when a console does poorly, (or in this case when Sony gets outsold by 360)     Where is the Pride?

If you Love Sony, then actually believe in the company.

Sony does not expect to win the NA sales for the several weeks following Microsofts last effort to push their aging machine to unnaware consumers.

But in the large scheme of things, Sony knows exactly what they are doing. They will not drop the price, and it will hurt them.. but only for a short amount of time.

PS3 will regain the NA sales lead without cutting the price before the end of this year. But things will get worse fbefore they get better.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

A bit of advice, don't love or believe in any company. All they care about is money.

I take that back. I do love companies that can make me money. I love that a lot.

FishyJoe said:

A bit of advice, don't love or believe in any company. All they care about is money.

I take that back. I do love companies that can make me money. I love that a lot.

The first statement is win.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?