By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Swapping discs or mandatory installs? What's worse?

even the arcade games have installs in PS3

Around the Network

i dont know whats the point of the Blu-Ray big space if there is repeated installs in the game ? its like swapping.

Mandatory installs. There aren't many games with more than 1 disc on 360 and it only take a few seconds to swap a disc, but the number of games with mandatory installs is increasing on PS3 and I expect to grow much more in the future. You don't only have to wait to play the game the first time, but you have to take into account how much free space you have unless you expend cash on a new HDD.

Diomedes1976 said:
Both suck ,but unfortunately 360 owners are getting both in the near future .

Do you know the difference between mandatory and optional?

I prefer installs. They'll bother me only once and that's it. Well, there are a few terribly long install times as well but I wouldn't expect to see them too much.

MGS4-style installs are a different case though... I hate them. It'd be better to simply have more discs. It wasn't that bad when I first played the game but the problem comes when I have to install every time I start a new act (even if I had played it before). Still, MGS4 wouldn't be any good with too many discs either.

well, the most dvds i've heard of for the xbox360 is lost odysee with 4 dvds while the longest installs for the ps3 is mgs4.

it takes what, a couple of seconds to switch dvds while it takes a couple of minutes for mgs4 to load the next chapter. i'll take the dvd switching anyday over the mgs4 installs thank you very much.

Around the Network

first of all, BILL COSBY!!!

second of all, thats a good question. i got into an argument once with my friend whos buying the 360 version. i said "have fun with those 10 discs" and he said "have fun with those install times."

he said he'd rather have 10 discs than 2 min install times, while i disagree, id rather just have the install times

I rather have discs, I really dislike installing. I rather not waste 10-20 minutes of my time installing a game, I want to play right now.

I'd say swaping discs. I mean just buy a 80 dollar 320GB drive, install once, and never worry about it again. I just put it in, it installs while I get a drink and a sandwich, by the time I'm back 9 times out of 10 its done. It's not like a PC install where it takes 30 minutes, it takes 10, tops.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Diomedes1976 said:
Both suck ,but unfortunately 360 owners are getting both in the near future .

Misinformed troll strikes again!

Thanks for playing! You've been a great contestant at the game of Ignorance!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Okay I have read the comments in this thread. I don't have a 360 or PS3 so I should be the deciding voice based on what I have read. As someone mentioned above everyone's answer has been based on whether they are a fan of PS3 or a fan of 360. I am a fan of neither. And from what I have read installs are more annoying. Swapping discs is limited to a few games and even where you have to swap it takes a few seconds and is only required every few hours. And unless you play many many hours a day you probably won't have to swap more than once in a day. Installs on the otherhand take longer, have to be done for several games (and in the case of Metal Gear quite often) and mean you run out of disc space.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down