By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Swapping discs or mandatory installs? What's worse?

swapping disc is worst. You stuff up one disc and the whole set is ruined.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network

Installs. If wanted to deal with constant installations, I'd do most of my gaming on PC. Not only that, if you are a game that buys a lot of games such as myself, it would be a pain in the ass to unistall and reinstall older games. I don't like doing that with my PC. I am still at a loss as to why you have not only download but also install PSN games. I have well over twenty 360 games only two of them, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, have required me to swap discs.

I think that if the install makes the game load faster and other things than i dont mind it after all u do it one time, also i dont mind disc swapping too so it dosent matter for me.

This thread again?

I prefer Blu-ray to DVD. I like uncompressed content. I think developers are already faced with the problem of cutting content/quality to squeeze into a DVD. Look at John Carmack's recent comments about the 360 version of Rage not looking as good as the PS3 version due to storage constraints on the 360.

Edit: I want to play the best version of the game possible.  If it requires a one time install, then I am fine with that.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

WessleWoggle said

Getting up and changing a disk takes five seconds. Are people honestly so lazy that getting up would be their reason for liking install times? Sitting for minutes is better than changing a disk, which takes seconds?

But installs aren't used to prevent disc swaps, harddrive loading allows for more data (faster) to be streamed into memory than is possible to achieve from disc. This can for example translate into better graphics or shorter loading times. A secondary reason to perform a harddrive install is when the file structure is optimised for DVD, a harddrive install for the part of the DVD which is loaded faster than a Blu-Ray disc is the easy route to take as the harddrive always loads faster than both optical disc based media.

MGS4 wouldn't fit onto one DVD, but may also require a harddrive if a 360 port would ever be done to prevent too many quality related sacrifices.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Does everyone just play one game from start to finish and not switch between them? Wow I must be a weirdo. I am always changing up games depending which friends are on Xbox Live and what we want to play. CoD4 keeps ending up in my machine. Until everything is direct downloads it’s part of the normal routine of being a gamer.

A forced install is just like long load times that suck. It keeps you from getting that instant gratification of starting up a new game you just spent money on. Just like how it is when you buy a computer game. Not a big deal but far worse then switching a disc every 10+ hours or whatever of game play.

Definitely disc changes are worse.

i am ok and used to mandatory install. coz i played alot of pc games as well. but i dislike swapping discs for games. but brilliants games like final fantasy series are forgiveable :P

To be honest, neither are a big deal to me. Minor inconveniences.

Swapping discs are by far the worst. The very fact of having more than one disc is annoying, atleast with the install onces its done ur set, just like pc games. I always found it so annoying when i had to swap discs with the GC.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!