By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Swapping discs or mandatory installs? What's worse?

Disc swapping is usually much less problematic. This is because usually you only have to do it once in a while.

In a general sense, installs are better. But too many of the too large variety (5G) can fill up a hard drive. Of course, you can always delete the install after playing the game ... but that might make it tough to ever play it again from the save file.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Retrasado said:
CrashMan said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

After so many years of playing PC games where both are present, I can safely say... swapping discs is worse.

I have No-CD cracks for pretty much every PC game I own.  I can play every game straight off my hard drive without ever having to swap a disc beyond that very first install.  It's beautiful.  ^_^

*GASP* I am reporting you to the FBI!

Any who, PC gaming and Console gaming are very different in this area.  While I agree 100% with you from a PC gaming stand point, The extensibility of Hard Drives in a PC make storage a much smaller issue.  If you have a 40 GB Hard Drive with a 20 game library, each needing to dump a gig and a half on the drive, you are gonna run out of space real quick.

umm... the PS3 says "hi."

That's not the comparison. 

The comparison is:  Swapping Discs or Manual Installs. 

It is not:  Swapping Discs or Manual Installs with a tiny hard drive.

Nor is it:  360 or PS3.

hay PS3 fans .. in which way the installs is better ? .. in taking 5 to 10 minutes of install or taking a 8 to 15 GB of the hard disc space ?! .. dont be a fan & think before u post.

waron said:
let see:
360 have 2 games that need swapping disc which is like i don't know, 10 seconds?
VS.
most ps3 games need instalation that takes 10-25 minutes.
= swapping discs is always better then instalation.

if i would like to instal game i would buy a pc not a console. besides you will need to reinstal games when you won't have enough space on HDD for new ones:(

What ps3 game has an install of 10-25 minutes?

And no most games dont even have installs on the ps3..

mM

it is not installs i play a lot of pc games so they have never bothered me.

OK now about swapping disks now that bothers me, i mean it does my head i that much that when i ever get a pc game i always download a crack for it just so i dont have to put the disk in the drive everytime i play a game never mind swapping every few hours through the game.

thats just me though but both are a lil bit annoying.

Around the Network

Manditory installs, the CD swapping only effects the game in question while the install effects every subsequent game. I have to install it it eats up space and if I run out of space I have to delete it all or buy a new HDD(Something I don't want to do when I spent 500$ on the initial purchase regardless of the 'low' cost)

I'd prefer voluntary installs then I'd say disc swapping would be a far worse offense. However I hate being told I have to do anything so maybe I dislike both but find installing a game more intrusive.

finalsquall said:
swapping disc is worst. You stuff up one disc and the whole set is ruined.

Not to discount your opinion, but I just found it funny that you named yourself after the main character in FF VIII, forevercloud is named after the main character in FFVII, and both of you picked installs over disc swapping. You guys must have had a lousy time playing what I'm assuming are one if not your favorite games.

Installs and disc swapping both suck. Like it was previously said, disc swapping should win by default for the simple fact that almost no games are one more than one disc. Mandatory installs are becomming very common. Only a small percentage of any 360 owner has ever had to worry about disc swapping, and yet I would guess at least a 1/3rd of PS3 users have had to install.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
finalsquall said:
swapping disc is worst. You stuff up one disc and the whole set is ruined.

Not to discount your opinion, but I just found it funny that you named yourself after the main character in FF VIII, forevercloud is named after the main character in FFVII, and both of you picked installs over disc swapping. You guys must have had a lousy time playing what I'm assuming are one if not your favorite games.

Installs and disc swapping both suck. Like it was previously said, disc swapping should win by default for the simple fact that almost no games are one more than one disc. Mandatory installs are becomming very common. Only a small percentage of any 360 owner has ever had to worry about disc swapping, and yet I would guess at least a 1/3rd of PS3 users have had to install.

Nicely done.

This is ridiculous, who cares!!!

Changing the disc after hours of playing or having to wait 5 insanely long minutes before playing a game. Really if this sort of thing gets you angry theres something wrong.

My biggest issue with installs is not just that you have to wait the first time you play a game, if it gets uninstalled you're less likely to want to play your old library.

If I have half an hour to kill, do I really wanna spend 5-10mins of that installing the damn game? Then if I have to uninstall something else will I have to reinstall that in the future?

Its not 5 mins now and nothing forever, its the threat of installs for the whole life of the console.

Tease.