By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Swapping discs or mandatory installs? What's worse?

Both suck thats why I stick to my DS!! Though I don't like to switch cartages when I want to play a different game.... Maybe I should get an I-Phone....

Around the Network

I do not mind installs in the least, only game I hated waiting for was Devil May Cry 4.

In terms of disc swapping, that has never bothered me either. I used to think it was cool when I found out games like FFVII/FFVIII and FFIX were 3/4 discs each.

Strange? Probably.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Depends on the hard drive size to determine whether or not one is worse than the other.

For my 500 GB computer hard drive I'd go with installs.

For the smaller console hard drives where you may want to DL add ons for games or get the smaller ones online I can see that thing filling up really, really fast.

Mandatory installs, especially with the pathetic size of 360/PS3 harddrives.

They both suck. I don't mind waiting the 10-20 mins the first time a play a game. and 1-3 min installs between a certain game isn't too bad for me either, especially since it's an alert sound for when it's done. While for switching discs.... lets face it... who likes getting up just to sit back down after a minor task of switching discs??? 360 fanboys will say that they go with this no matter what but with the ps3 getting soon to get games with over 30GB of uncompressed beautifull audio and visual content on one disc, not to mention this holds some dev's back for 360 exclusives and multiplats to perform at their peak do to MS's disc fee thing

"During QuakeCon 2008 John Carmack confirmed, during his keynote speech, that the Xbox 360 version of Rage will look worse than the Playstation 3 version. This is due to the game's assets needing to be compressed heavily to fit them onto two DVDs. Carmack stated that the royalty fees that Microsoft would charge for a third disc were so high that it did not make for a feasible solution, and is hoping that the company would make a concession."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_(game)

SONY could have fixed thier problem by going with a 4x BD drive instead of a 2x

MS could have fixed their prob by going with a different format... maybe even HD-DVD.

As for which is worse... I would have to say the installs, not because of the time... but because even though SONY has a limit set for 5GB for 1st, Second, and 3rd party dev's, 5GB's is still alot for some PS3 owners. You can upgrade you HDD to any 2.5 Sata, but the ps3 is already the priciest console on the market, this is just adding to the cost.

However, I personally have no prob with either... if I had to be precise, I prefer to go with the installs.... because am lazy and I can pretty much upgrade my drive.... or even better.... delete games that I don't really play.... since there aren't that many games out there that need such huge 2.5-5GB installs... And keeping myself entertained for 1-20 mins is not a difficult task......

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
pearljammer said:
To be honest, neither are a big deal to me. Minor inconveniences.

This is basically the truth. I dislike manual installs more only because they prevent me from playing or doing anything with the game for some time, and I have to manage the hard drive space forever after that. The latter of that means I will be reminded by the minor inconvieniences of the game install more times than I will of the disc swap.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I see a lot of 360 users picking swapping over installing.. it could be because of Xbox Live.

Imagine how annoying it would be if you invited friends to join your game and they replied back "give me 10 minutes, I need to install the game"... It would be pretty annoying.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Swapping disc doesn't bother me at all.

People who are complaining about scratching a disc during a disc swap, what the fuck? I have hundreds of disc based games in my house. The only one that doesn't work is Battle Arena Toshinden for the PS1.......because I bit it on purpose.

If you scratch one out of four discs, you probably destroyed 25% of your single disc games too!

I usually play 3-4 games on 3 different consoles anyway. I'm going to switch discs. I may play Heavenly Sword (attrocious install time too), then switch to MGS4, then play some Burnout: Takedown and Gears of War on the 360. It's no hassle. Haters of disc changes, let me break it to you: YOU ARE CHANGING DISCS ANYWAY.

I find swapping discs more annoying. Install is not a big deal for me since I can go do something else while the game is installing. If it decreases load times and makes the game run smoother, I'm all for the mandatory install. Swapping discs on the other hand, really doesn't offer any positives. It's just a necessary annoyance.