By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Swapping discs or mandatory installs? What's worse?

Swapping discs is worse... mostly. But in MGS4's case, where you have to do the 3 minute install every time you load a save from a previous act, disc swapping would have been less annoying.

Around the Network

This debate is not interesting to me, but what's interesting are the implications for VoD (downloading movies, not broadcast). If installs are worse, then downloading movies is doomed.

Because DVD player makers quickly made players that could change faces themselves. On the first DVD players, you had to go change the face of double-sided DVD (kind of like for first LaserDisc players). DVD players were quickly changed so that you don't need to do that.
It was an annoyance. Now BRD players don't have this problem, it's fixed from the start. DVD players don't have this problem either.

Now, if you look at downloading movies, it's like installing a game : you have to wait a long time for the video to be downloaded.
So if installing a game is worse than swapping discs, which is worse than no swapping of any discs, well...
That means that BRD has far better chance to succeed than downloading movies.

Downloading movies and installing games also share lots of problems : disc space, time to "ownership", less user-friendly, ...

I find this interesting to say the least : whatever a fan of one HD console says, he's putting plus and minus for different features of his console.

Depends on the game, how often to swap discs (very linear game?), the amount of available harddrive space, etc.

Personally in general I prefer the Uncharted: Drake's Fortune approach, Blu-Ray / harddisk streaming optimization resulting in no-ingame loading times without the need for installs. I prefer having no disc swaps and not too much data needed to be installed.

Overall the PS3's Blu-Ray drive loads data faster than the 360's DVD drive can read dual layer discs. But DVD file structure optimization (outer tracks providing data much faster than the inner tracks) needs to be reworked and optimised for the Blu-Ray format (constant speed).

I don't have a problem with minimal harddrive installs for the most loading speed critical data or for more user comfort (getting the game up and running as fast as possible) such as in Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Swapping discs is worse... mostly. But in MGS4's case, where you have to do the 3 minute install every time you load a save from a previous act, disc swapping would have been less annoying.

you're kidding right? is that true??

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Disc swap... with installs it's simpler. Let it install, and while it does, have some coffee. Disc swap, however, involves getting up from a comfortable position, find and open the case, get to the console... another plus of installs are very quick loads.

Damn I'm lazy.

Around the Network
Hephaestos said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

you're kidding right? is that true??

Yeah...
I wanted to go back and fight Laughing Octopus again yesterday. Had to sit and watch Snake smoking while being warned about the hazards of smoking and being advised to use an ashtray instead of littering >_>

Rock_on_2008 said:
swapping discs is worse than mandatory installs.

no mandatory installs is worse .. in MGS4 each mandatory installs take 5 minutes while i can swap discs in less than one minute.

I'm glad that at least you knew what your question boiled done to BILL COSBY (360 vs PS3).

I am a 360 fan(boy, some might say) but I choose the discs, because:
- Thus far there has been no installation that has been quicker on the PS3 then the time it takes the average person to get change discs

- You have games like MGS4 that require a repeated installation when switching acts (including those you've already played)

- I trust in my ability to take care of my discs as opposed to relying on installed data (Not such a big issue with things I can reinstall later, but still an issue).

The one negative I can see is that much like during the FF days on the PS1, if you lose a disc, you're screwed.

Because I highly doubt it would ever take me 20 minutes to swap a disc, I will go with Installations.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Both bad. I'd prefer to wait for on pretty loading screens, Blu-Ray is big enough to hold the information.

@CAL4M1TY
Not only lose a disc but scatch a disc too, dang you 3rd disc of FF8. Now i may never play you again. :(

Hmm, pie.