By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF : teenagers banned from gaming after killing cat with microwave.

Phendrana said:
People who abuse animals at a young age are usually sociopaths or at least have sociopathic tendencies. But hey, let's keep blaming video games for mental disorders.

Usually goes along with Bed-Wetting and Setting things on Fire....the typical signs of someone who is going to be a trouble to society.

Around the Network
Cougarman said:
i wanna see the game that allows you to microwave a cat, could be fun

No... rats are more tasty.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

haha not allowed to play violent video games for a year. big whoop. why don't you just give them a slap on the wrist and say don't do it again, the way they're taking it

I am Ted Nugent

Cat Scratch Fever

Wrong, Dodece. First of all, the gaming part is just a punishment, because the law there doesn't allow jail time. Second, it's around seven years old when children start to develop empathy, not teenage years. those kids knew damn well what they were doing.

Third, you have better have some proof for your one in six claim.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Dodece said:
This thread boiled down into self congratulatory masturbation in short order. We are talking about two teenagers. Guess what you were that age too, and guess what you did some pretty despicable stuff yourself. Humans of this age are fascinated by death. Specifically the ability to kill other living things. Part of growing up is testing the world around you.

I wonder if you guys appreciate the fact that one in six members of this forum has done exactly what these children have done. Oh they will not fess up to doing this, because it is as taboo as eating human flesh. You can seriously murder a human being, rape a child, set fire to houses, and sell drugs to children. Yet for most concerned none of those are as bad as killing a family pet. We base judgments on the helplessness of a victim. Most pet killers grow up to lead normal lives. They are not psychopaths or axe murderers. They just did some sick stupid shit while they were growing up.

What is stupid in this instance is the punishment. The judge obviously has no concept of human nature. Which is a joke considering the job. Depriving the children games will not cure them of human nature. Nor will depriving them of pets deplete their list of potential targets. All these actions will cause is the public to ostracize these young people. That is exactly the wrong thing to do, because when you cast someone out that causes feelings of isolation, and that in turn causes feelings of anger. Were the children not troubled before they sure as hell will be now.

The punishment should have nothing to do with games. I only blame gaming for not having enough good games this year to keep these children engaged. What these children needed was a referral for counseling. Why exacerbate a situation, and more to the point why look for scapegoats like gaming.

I kind of have to admit it is kind of sickening to see others tearing down on those they do not know for having the same failings they themselves have. Are all of you prospects for sainthood? Chances are one person in this thread has raped another human being. Three of you drove fully and recklessly intoxicated. Four of you killed or maimed a family pet. Eight of you have done heavy narcotics. Sixteen of you have shoplifted. So before you condemn these teenagers take a good long look in the mirror and ask do you have a right to cast stones.

These teenagers probably do not know better, but most of you are adults, and should know damn well better. Your just lambasting these kids to get your rocks off and feel better about yourselves. When the discussion should be the fact that this judge instead of dealing with helping these young people. Has obviously decided that gaming is the culprit

I'll admit some things here. I've driven fully and recklessly drunk (dumbest decision of my life). I've done narcotics (opium). I've shoplifted (Pokemon cards lol). I'll still say these kids are sick. You know why? None of the crimes I've ever committed were done with the sole purpose of being entertained by the suffering of another living creature. From a psychological standpoint they're nowhere close. That's not even considering how ludicrous it is to say someone can't judge torture because they've probably also committed a crime.

I can't speak for you, but I can honestly say when I was a teenager I never did anything as depraved as microwaving an animal. It's true that teenagers are fascinated with death to a degree, but the difference here is the lengths these kids went to in order to sate that fascination and their complete disregard for the pain of an animal. The problem is their lack of empathy and regret and that they had the motivation to actually go through with it. I hope you can recognize that.

Oh, and where did you get this "fact" that one in six members of this forum have microwaved a cat? Was there a front page poll I missed? Or is it a statistic that 17% of the population tortures their pets to death?

Around the Network

I want pictures!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

wfz said:
c0rd said:
wfz said:
I don't see what makes cats more special than cows or pigs.

Nobody really has cows or pigs as pets; also, they aren't nearly as cute as cats.  People generally value life on how close they are to humans, so cute pets like cats/dogs are pretty much top tier (only humans being higher).  IMO, the order goes something like this:

Humans > Pets > Other animals > Insects/Plants

Being cute / good adds bonus points, while being ugly / bad takes away.  For instance, compare criminals to normal people, or scorpions to say, hamsters.  The more we can relate to the lifeform, the more attached we are.  I think many people are capable of torturing insects, for example.  We're also always glad to kill huge aliens that look like insects in the movies.  That's just my observation, anyway.

These microwave killing stories always make me wonder what exactly a microwave would do to something living.  Would it be anything like that frying scene in Total Recall?  (ok, bad joke)

@Slimeattack: I imagine it's a ban on video games, since it's an interactive media.  While movies and other things can be violent, they don't put you in control of actually committing the violence.

As far as I know, microwaves make the water molecules in anything bounce around, which causes the object to heat up. I'm not exactly sure what it would look like having that happen to an animal, but I've seen hotdogs turn out pretty strange. =P

temperature is a measure of the kinetic energy of the molecules (translational movements, vibrations, and rotations).  microwaves are specifically tuned to the rotational frequencies of water molecules increasing their rotational frequencies and thus the temperature.

OT:  the kids are stupid but i have to admit i killed a fair share of animals as a kid.  just nothing as cute as a cat.

poor cat:( what assholes

Glad they didn't go to jail!!

Now they are free to walk around and have the shit kicked out of them by angry locals...

....hopefully!

How long before somebody makes an LBP level about this?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective