By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF : teenagers banned from gaming after killing cat with microwave.

Cougarman said:
i wanna see the game that allows you to microwave a cat, could be fun

Maniac Mansion Spoiler:

In Maniac Mansion, you can microwave a hamster.

As always, I'm an encyclopedia of videogame knowledge.

Ever play Silverload?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Tispower1 said:
@ wfz, microwaves work by vibrating water molecules, by giving them energy, and so heating up the water in food, so basically it's not pleasant.

Frankly though, I think the authorities overreacted, no one would give a damn if it was a chicken. I mean we do it to battery farmed ones that have had their necks broken, heads chopped off, feet chopped off and skinned anyway. How is this so much worse?

How'd the authorities find out anyway?

Plus, how was this incident related to violent videogames?

MGS4 comes to mind, I suppose.

This is ridiculous, how the fuck did they not get any jail time? If I were on the jury I would've pushed for maximum possible sentencing.

Cats (like most animals) would never intentionally hurt a human without being threatened first, and plus, compared to humans and the technology we have, all animals are basically defenseless against us.

That just makes it all the more heinous a crime when someone intentionally hurts an animal.

Except cows. Cows are yummy.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Jackson50 said:
yo_john117 said:
You think thats sick. I live in the boondocks, with a bunch of stupid rednecks. and i heard sick stories from some of the kids at school that hate cats, like burying them in the ground with just their head above the ground, them taking a mower and running over them :(

Just disgusting. i don't really get how some people can be so twisted and sick.

Well, that is a creative way to kill a cat. That actually made me laugh. I wondered what sort of sounds the cat made...do you think it meowed? 

:l

Anyway what did this have to do with videogames?

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

MontanaHatchet said:
Wishing for the criminals to get injured or killed themselves is not the right way to react to the situation. As an animal lover, I'm as angry as any one of you. But more death and suffering isn't going to make the world any better. I just hope the parents of these teens put them in some kind of mental hospital or group. There's no good reason for this action. It's disgusting.

Well, there are two lines of thought. One is the whole "one world" philosophy. It's relatively liberal, and entails that the actual reason for law is to protect future victims and rehibilitate the criminal, who is also a victim of their own pathology.

Then there's my view. It entails that the real reason for law is to punish the criminal, while giving the victims a peace of mind, and a sense of justice, and said criminal's punishment, might not make the world a better place, but it will make the victim and society itself feel a lot better.

The law isn't really there for justice, afterall, it's there because the people demand it. It's there so society can feel more secure and refined, and to introduce consequences for actions that we define as socially unacceptable.

You see, I believe in chaos, not karma, and I believe that if we don't punish the criminals, they will never be punished. I don't believe in rehibilitation, which rarely works as everyone admits. I believe child molestors should be murdered, and the type of murder I preach not only heads off trouble down the road, it also occasionally punishes the wicked. The general retort for this is how no human has the right to set in mortal judgement of another, yet that is an ideological suggestion and not a practical solution. Society must have laws, and the fact that they are ideoligically imperfect doesn't change the fact that they are necessary and in being necessary must be defined by practical and certain means. Simply because death is the ultimate punishment, imo, doesn't grant it a provision to fall under ideological debate any more than the debate that would be granted for, say, a speeding ticket.

In this case, I agree with you. These kids shouldn't be killed. However, had I been in the room when the cat's eyeballs were exploding in that microwave, and the kids were looking on awestruck, I can't promise that had I a loaded weapon, I wouldn't have used it in the heat of passion.

Abuse of animals, bed-wetting, and setting fires are the top 3 warning signs of child abuse, but anmial abuse is also an early warning of a conduct disorder, defined as: "a repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate societal norms or rules are violated." Giving these children's lack of empathy, it would be safe to assume that you wouldn't want to give them control over a human life, which is the inherant right we give to others everytime we board an automobile, walk down the street, or sell a gun.

You've got to be careful with these kids. One or both of them could be showing signs of mental illness, and could be capable of hurting themselves or others as they grow older. A lack of empathy is an early sign of a Sociopath.

Blaming complex mental disorders on violent videogames is bullcrap.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

WessleWoggle said:
In a world with of perfect justice they would be microwaved and fed to stray cats for their crime. :P

What does video games have to do with this? Withholding them from violent video games might actually encourage them to cause harm in the real world, since they don't have any games to do it on.

But in that world of perfect justice, I would have been squashed and flushed down the toilet for doing the same to insects

Anyway, since I never actually read the article I missed this part:
"The cat is described as screaming in the microwave for approximately 10 minutes while it is cooked to death," Laluk said.

Tortured for 10 minutes in there?!  So much for the cow comparisons, lol... 10 minutes is a loonng time.  I thought it was possible they microwaved it for a short time, and it just died afterwards, but they really thoroughly cooked the thing alive...

@Zen:  Woah, kinda hardcore.  If rehibilitation actually worked, would your opinion change?  I don't know enough about psychology or whatever, so it's a little depressing if that's the case, as my philosophy would have to end up looking something like yours.  That reminds me, I haven't watched Minority Report yet. (yeah, kinda random)

Around the Network

Why would there be jailtime? They are not even fined....

There are plenty of crimes against Humans that don't give you that. You don't go to jail for punching a guy...Do you even get fined for running a cat over with your car? cause depending on how the cat is hit he could suffer more with that....
These guys definitely have problems, especially with their notions of right or wrong.... but you guys saying jail also seem to have trouble with the heirarchy of gravity crimes... ever stepped on a bug or killed a mousquito? ever heard of Hunting? annimals are just not considered beings in our society, even if we can argue that pets have feelings and are aware of what happends to them (well I for one believe my dogs are pretty much people and members of the familly)

Now the story doesn't say if they owned the cat or not.... the judge did not even fine them so I guess they did...

Psychiatric sessions Yes.... Jailtime NO

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hows rock_on, i hope he is ok with these cat hatters about.

plus my brothers have done seriously cruel shit to our cats over the years like throwing the kittens out the upstairs window to see if they land on the feet and put the cat in the washer machine lmao.

Jerks... I wish I haven't read that, I'm very sensitive! That's just sick and very cruel! T-T

They should just reveal their names so that everyone knows who they are. Mob justice would be good in this case.

chenguo4 said:
Tispower1 said:
@ wfz, microwaves work by vibrating water molecules, by giving them energy, and so heating up the water in food, so basically it's not pleasant.

Frankly though, I think the authorities overreacted, no one would give a damn if it was a chicken. I mean we do it to battery farmed ones that have had their necks broken, heads chopped off, feet chopped off and skinned anyway. How is this so much worse?

How'd the authorities find out anyway?

Plus, how was this incident related to violent videogames?

MGS4 comes to mind, I suppose.

This is ridiculous, how the fuck did they not get any jail time? If I were on the jury I would've pushed for maximum possible sentencing.

Cats (like most animals) would never intentionally hurt a human without being threatened first, and plus, compared to humans and the technology we have, all animals are basically defenseless against us.

That just makes it all the more heinous a crime when someone intentionally hurts an animal.

Except cows. Cows are yummy.

And what about those Rwandans in 1994? They were pretty defenseless! I'm sorry but this is nothing in comparison. No wonder the rest of the world did nothing, we were too busy banning kids from videogames for heating up a cat!

/rant