By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1UP a bit harsh on Disgaea 3?

jman8 said:
People take Metacritic way too seriously. All ratings scales are not equal. Comparing them as such makes ZERO sense. Go actually READ reviews if you wanna know how someone feels about a game, not compare worthless numbers.

Don't you know it is all about them numbers! THEM NUMBERS MAN! THEM NUMBERS! It is like coke to these gamers.

Around the Network
bobobologna said:
Euphoria14 said:
Even more strange is with an 85, 85, 83, 82, 80, 80 and a 67 the average score remains 80.

Um, no it's not strange. (85+85+83+82+80+80+67) / 7 = 80.3.

Well then I guess I should have averaged it out myself instead of just looking huh? :(

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

a B- should equal 80 like the American grading system.

Yeah Metacritic is weird. Too Human got a C- on 1up and it translated to a 47 on metacritic.

I thought it was an error but then checked against other games and all C-'s get a 47.. :(

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

-B = 70-73
B = 74-76
B+ = 77-79

That is the normal system.

Around the Network

I checked Too Human as well. They rated it C- and MC has it as 47 I believe.

So what exactly rates a game as average? C and C+ obviously don't. B+ I guess since it seems to be 83. No game gets between 68 and 82 no more?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Acevil said:
-B = 70-73
B = 74-76
B+ = 77-79

That is the normal system.

In ToV's case, B+ = 83.

I think the letter system sucks to be honest. At first I thought it would go on a F-A+ scale, I guess only C- to A+. Very hard to determine which games to buy this way. Back in school, all those would tell me I received a high enough score to pass.

I guess I should just ignore 1UP rating until they fix it... if ever.

B+ on ToV made me think 86-89, I thought it was odd enough today when I saw that B+ only meant an 83. Then this...

Currently playing:

It's still a great game. Doesn't matter if 1up wants to take points off for "graphics."

Sites are gonna flame non-hyped games, randomly. You just gonna read the reviews, and take from them what you can. I knew ToV was exactly what I was looking for after I read IGNs review. Now it is my most anticipated game(well, when it arrives in my mailbox tomorrow, lol). Even though IGN only gave it an 8.2, they praised the hell out of it in the review, and just took points off for graphics.

Disgaea 3 will be great to anyone who liked Disgaea 2.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Snesboy said:
a B- should equal 80 like the American grading system.

Exactly. B- = 80, B = 81-85, B+ = 86-89.

Currently playing:

Well I looked on gamerankings.com. They don't have the 1UP Disgaea 3 review, but they do have the Too Human review. They have the 1UP too human review as 60%. This is inline with a school grade C-.

Expect gamerankings to have 1UP's Disgaea 3 review at 75%.

Gamerankings > Metacritic. Both are pretty crap though.