By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1UP a bit harsh on Disgaea 3?

I am also upset with Gamespot.

They said putting this game in your PS3 turns it into a PS2.

Well, I received D3 in the mail today, popped it in, and yet... still is a PS3.

What a bunch of liars.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

What a bunch of liars.

I didn't read the review, but I don't think games should be judged on graphics, when they are an artstyle, and a conscious choice. Particularly Disgaea, which just wouldn't be right without that classic feel.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

This is why reviews mean shit to me. Why let somebody elses opinion sway yours?

It's a good, solid game, with nice graphics for it's Genre.

Metacritic is a bit weird tho with their alphabet scoring.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Euphoria14 said:

What a bunch of liars.

I didn't read the review, but I don't think games should be judged on graphics, when they are an artstyle, and a conscious choice. Particularly Disgaea, which just wouldn't be right without that classic feel.

The Disgaea remake on PSP was scored an 8.0 on Gamespot. Surely if they rated the PS2 version it would have been the same, if not higher.

They rated Disgaea 3 a 7.5. Not a bad score at all but this part causes the score to make no sense to me.

• Solid, consistently funny story  
  • New gameplay changes make this the best Disgaea yet  
  • Even after you've finished the story, there are dozens of hours' worth of things to do  
  • Geo blocks add a puzzle element that makes you approach each level differently.

I thought the best of the series nets it a higher score.

*scratches head

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Don't worry Euphoria14, it's not the first time reviews don't make sense. Check GameSpot's review for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. ;)

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:

Don't worry Euphoria14, it's not the first time reviews don't make sense. Check GameSpot's review for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. ;)

I think many of these review sites don't know what they are doing half the time.

Currently playing:

zexen_lowe said:
Perhaps 1UP was a bit harsh, but the biggest culprit is Metacritic. 1UP gave the game a B-, which I don't know how much it equates (I'll never understand the letter grade system, people should realize numbers are better), but I'm sure it doesn't equate to 67. After all, they say B+ to B- is good

67 sounds like a fail to me.. It doesn't look like a B-

Euphoria14 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Euphoria14 said:

What a bunch of liars.

The Disgaea remake on PSP was scored an 8.0 on Gamespot. Surely if they rated the PS2 version it would have been the same, if not higher.

They rated Disgaea 3 a 7.5. Not a bad score at all but this part causes the score to make no sense to me.

• Solid, consistently funny story  
  • New gameplay changes make this the best Disgaea yet  
  • Even after you've finished the story, there are dozens of hours' worth of things to do  
  • Geo blocks add a puzzle element that makes you approach each level differently.

I thought the best of the series nets it a higher score.

*scratches head

Ahahaha lol.. They're a bunch of hypocrites. XD

The review for D3 on Gamespot speaks like a game that if not for the graphics, would be an easy 90+ game, just read the great things they say about the game. They say twice that this is the best in the series.

I find it hilarious that the reasoning for Mao to want to overthrow his Father for the position of Overlord is because he accidentally stepped on his Slaystation Portable, causing him to lose 4 million hours worth of progress. I can't wait to continue playing tomorrow.

Currently playing:

@Euphoria14

Some reviewers are slightly less scrupulous when it comes to their letter grading systems. They often qualify their own letter equivalent with a numerical equivalent. That still gives them quite the range to fall within. Which always means the composite average will always use the highest possible value rather then the lowest.

My personal opinion is this if these reviewers are so gun shy to use a true system. Well then their review probably doesn't even have any merit regardless. I mean we are talking about a chicken shit strategy here. They are obviously using these letters to hide the true scores so nobody will ever call them on it one way or the other.

The composite rating sites should basically black ball these reviewers. Just stop trying to convert their numbers in the first place. There are more then enough reviewers out there. Why use these reviews in the first place. Why go through the trouble are these reviewers actually lending credibility. Obviously not if they had credibility they wouldn't be trying to use some cockeyed grade school system. What next are they going to start enrolling games in to honor and merit rolls.