By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Crow Eating Thread

RolStoppable said:
Legend11 said:

Well actually to be fair I was right... Well Dave Halverson was right. Read what he posted and it's dead on with what happened at Nintendo's E3 conference. He didn't say there wouldn't be any hardcore games from Nintendo but that after SSBB, SMG, and MP:3 that those games from Nintendo would be few and far between... And that Nintendo was focusing on the very casual which is true.

But don't worry I don't expect you or anyone else in that thread to eat crow.

ps. If you read the article you'll see that Dave was talking about Nintendo and it's first party games...

Halverson said that Nintendo will shift their focus from the hardcore to the casual to the very casual gamer. He also said:

"While the Wii definately has some great games left on the schedule (the same ones) along with a trickle of third-party exclusives, the future of the Wii does not revolve around us gamers."

If you paid attention to Nintendo's E3 they clearly stated that they will continue to deliver games (1st and 3rd party) to all types of gamers. I am not sure which kind of gamers Halverson means with "us gamers" since he refers to himself as casual but either he means hardcore or casual, Nintendo's focus is not on making games for the very casual gamer. 

Halverson is wrong and so are you. 

He means hardcore games... Like Super Mario Kart.  He didn't say those games would disappear just that they would be few and far between.  I guess we won't know until about 2 years from now who's right and who's wrong.  But I have to ask, during the conference did Nintendo spend more time on casual games or hardcore?  What game did they spend the most time on?  Super Mario Kart?  Did they have Shigeru and others playing it for the crowd?  Or was it some casual game that seems to be their new focus?

Around the Network

Lets just call it a draw and if we remember this a year or so from now we'll know who was right and who was wrong...

Legend11 said:
Ok answer me this... Did Nintendo spend more time on casual games during their conference or hardcore games? What about when they talked and showed videos, were the majority of hardcore games playing or were they of casual gamers? I didn't see Nintendo's E3 presentation so I'm not sure of those answers so that's why I'm asking. But from what I heard it seemed that Nintendo focused a lot more on casual.

Actually, they re-emphasized their commitment to both the hardcore and the casual. Reggie said this, oh, about 5 times during the conference.

I'm doing an even more extensive list of the Gamecube top-seller titles now, and including third party titles. A sonic game is up there on the list: one is already out, and another is production. Mario Party is up there on the list: in production. Resident Evil is high on the list: a remake is out, a new one is in production. Paper Mario is high on the list: already released. Kirby's Air Ride is up there; I think we can all assume that a Kirby game is either in production or will be soon. Soul Calibur II is on there; I'm sure Nintendo would love to get IV, but Legends will do fine. Finally, Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles is the 20th best selling game on the system, and it has a sequel coming to the Wii. Of the top 20 or so best selling games on the Gamecube list, I see maybe 5 games that haven't had a sequel officially announced/released on the Wii, and of those 5, most are assumed to be in production. New Hardcore IPs are being developed to, as Disaster: DoC attests to. 

Honestly, what more can we expect in the first year of the system's release? I mean that. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Legend11 said:
Ok answer me this... Did Nintendo spend more time on casual games during their conference or hardcore games? What about when they talked and showed videos, were the majority of hardcore games playing or were they of casual gamers? I didn't see Nintendo's E3 presentation so I'm not sure of those answers so that's why I'm asking. But from what I heard it seemed that Nintendo focused a lot more on casual.

They spent more time with Wii fit, and im happy for that.

You know most of the things you are going to get with Mario kart wii (fun races, fun battles, mario chars, power ups etc) however Wii fit was something really new. It was well worth the time it got. 

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

I think you're missing the point of the article I posted... Read it again. He is talking about Nintendo and says Nintendo games like SSBB, MP:3, and SMG will be few and far between from here on in. He said that after going to Nintendo's Gamer's Day. The only way he would have been proven wrong is if Nintendo announced 3-4 hardcore titles of their own for the Wii. The only one people here mentioned was Super Mario Kart... So we still don't know yet who was right and who's wrong... Maybe the Tokyo Game Show will be where it's decided... If they announce a bunch of hard core titles I'll admit they the article was wrong.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

He means hardcore games... Like Super Mario Kart. He didn't say those games would disappear just that they would be few and far between. I guess we won't know until about 2 years from now who's right and who's wrong. But I have to ask, during the conference did Nintendo spend more time on casual games or hardcore? What game did they spend the most time on? Super Mario Kart? Did they have Shigeru and others playing it for the crowd? Or was it some casual game that seems to be their new focus?

They spent a little more time on casual than hardcore games, but that is due to the fact that WiiFit took a great part of the show, is something totally new and has to be explained in more detail than a new announced Mario Kart game. Nintendo showed live demonstrations of Zelda PH and Metroid Prime 3 as well. 20 minutes of the show were solely dedicated to address the concerns of core gamers about the Wii and Nintendo showed enough games to satisfy the core gamers' need, they talked about 3rd party online games as well. 

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Legend11 said:
Ok answer me this... Did Nintendo spend more time on casual games during their conference or hardcore games? What about when they talked and showed videos, were the majority of hardcore games playing or were they of casual gamers?

OK answer me this... On the floor how many casual Nintendo published games were playable and how many hardcore? And what were the impressions about those? E3 is not over at the end of the conferences.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Look guys, lets just wait until we find out who was right and who's wrong... That'll happen next year, if we still remember this.

Legend11 said:
I think you're missing the point of the article I posted... Read it again. He is talking about Nintendo and says Nintendo games like SSBB, MP:3, and SMG will be few and far between from here on in. He said that after going to Nintendo's Gamer's Day. The only way he would have been proven wrong is if Nintendo announced 3-4 hardcore titles of their own for the Wii. The only one people here mentioned was Super Mario Kart... So we still don't know yet who was right and who's wrong... Maybe the Tokyo Game Show will be where it's decided... If they announce a bunch of hard core titles I'll admit they the article was wrong.

Ah, okay, so only 3-4 new announced titles can show that Nintendo is not abandoning the core gamer market.

What about Microsoft? Which new games did they announce and show? Viva Pinata party animals and Scene it? How many new hardcore games did they announce? Aren't you worried that Microsoft is abandoning the hardcore market for the casuals?  

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Legend11 said:
Look guys, lets just wait until we find out who was right and who's wrong... That'll happen next year, if we still remember this.

No - that's a copout. I want to see crow SERVED!