By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Crow Eating Thread

Parokki said:
Hmm... have I made any predictons that proved false? I still think there's a chance that the PS3 never hits 30 million, but that's far from proven one way or the other.

The guy who's saying the PS3 will beat Xbox sales this year, and Wii halfway through 2008 should really start practicing the fine skill of bird consumption.

What he is saying is that PS3 sales will pass 360 and Wii sales weekly by that time. Not overall. After Halo 3 sales die down, then Sony can start making up ground against Microsoft.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

akuma587 said:

>>but please do not act like they are as committed to the dedicated gamers out there as they used to be.

Avalach21 said:
Dolla Dolla said:
Avalach21 said:

Wait... I don't see why GBallzack has to eat crow? From what you just quoted, she was actually quite insightful in what she said. In fact, what she said was very true. She hasn't been proven wrong at all.

She never siad that the PS3 wouldn't recieve a pricedrop, she merely listed the repercussions the pricedrop would cause. Even if she did elsewhere in the thread say that a Sony pricedrop would not occur, I would be far more impressed if the repercussions she stated did occur when the pricedrop did happen. Thusfar, she is correct. Now we wait...

Gballzack has vehemently stated time and time again that Sony would not cut the PS3 price this year because of all those reasons. And, after the price cut, it seems the stock has been moving pretty briskly, at least from the Amazon watch. If you want, I can dig up the original thread where she stated time and time again it wouldn't get a price cut.

If you've been around, you know she deserves this crow lol 

She predicted that the stock would move briskly for a time, and then all of the repercussions would fall into action.  Let's wait and see...

I agree with Avalach on this one. GBallzack never stated that Sony would not drop the price. She just stated that they shouldn't because it would put added financial pressure on Sony. (Something long the lines of what I have been thinking) You claim that she "vehemently stated time and time again that Sony would not cut the PS3 price this year " but you have yet to quote here on an actual post where she states this. Please provide a link to a post were she states that Sony "will not cut the price before 2008" instead of "should not cut the price before 2008" and I will take back my last comments.

Stop referring to the PS3 announcement as a price drop.  If Sony doesn't consider it a price drop why should we?  On G4 Tretton said he was surprised "the media referred to it that way".  PS3 is the same price as at launch come August - $499/$599.  At best, it is a 1 month pricedrop until the new SKU arrives - and even that is likely to clear out excess inventory.

Adding extra gig doesn't cost much (if anything).  They are basically offsetting the cost of PS3 by throwing in a $60 game and pretending the improved gig is worth $40.

Referring to the new pricing structure as a price drop is not really accurate in my mind. 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

JHawkNH said:
I agree with Avalach on this one. GBallzack never stated that Sony would not drop the price. She just stated that they shouldn't because it would put added financial pressure on Sony. (Something long the lines of what I have been thinking) You claim that she "vehemently stated time and time again that Sony would not cut the PS3 price this year " but you have yet to quote here on an actual post where she states this. Please provide a link to a post were she states that Sony "will not cut the price before 2008" instead of "should not cut the price before 2008" and I will take back my last comments.

It's very sweet of you guys to come to Gballzack's defense. If you need further proof that she said Sony would not drop the price, I'll point you to this thread: http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=2539

Forgive me if the passage I quoted didn't have her state it, but it was the reasons she was giving for them not droping the price this year. Here are other quotes from that thread, if you don't feel like combing thru the whole thing.

Gballzack said:

Sony is not in a position to lose anymore money, only because of pressure from game developers did they even sell it less in Japan and that was well before the 2 billion dollar loss. Heck in Europe they took out reverse compatibility to lower production cost but still kept the price as high as it was going to be in the first place. At this point Nintendo has more loose funds than Sony does. Stop kidding yourselves, a price drop isn't going to happen.

Gballzack said:
No, they don't have a choice, they can't drop the price. IF they drop the price even more the stock holders will fold and the company will be forced to forfeit the Playstation line, its that simple. There are too many invested interests in their money for them to act so recklessly.

And it goes on and on in the thread. Point being, she stated matter of factly that it wouldn't drop in price and why.

/Crow served

Edit: Ha! On the second page I even told her that I would make this thread if she was wrong. I forgot about that.

Around the Network
Dolla Dolla said:
JHawkNH said:

It's very sweet of you guys to come to Gballzack's defense. If you need further proof that she said Sony would not drop the price, I'll point you to this thread: http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=2539

Forgive me if the passage I quoted didn't have her state it, but it was the reasons she was giving for them not droping the price this year. Here are other quotes from that thread, if you don't feel like combing thru the whole thing.

Gballzack said:

Sony is not in a position to lose anymore money, only because of pressure from game developers did they even sell it less in Japan and that was well before the 2 billion dollar loss. Heck in Europe they took out reverse compatibility to lower production cost but still kept the price as high as it was going to be in the first place. At this point Nintendo has more loose funds than Sony does. Stop kidding yourselves, a price drop isn't going to happen.

Gballzack said:
No, they don't have a choice, they can't drop the price. IF they drop the price even more the stock holders will fold and the company will be forced to forfeit the Playstation line, its that simple. There are too many invested interests in their money for them to act so recklessly.

And it goes on and on in the thread. Point being, she stated matter of factly that it wouldn't drop in price and why.

/Crow served

Edit: Ha! On the second page I even told her that I would make this thread if she was wrong. I forgot about that.

Thank you for providing the link.  You are correct, in later posts she did clain that there would not be a price drop.  I take back what I previouly posted.

/Crow taken

The crow is not for you, my friend. My initial quoting perhaps was too vague and I can understand the questioning.

Unless you were going to serve the crow to Gballzack personally...

akuma587 said:
Did you even watch Nintendo's E3 presentation? That was some of the most shameless promotion to casual gamers that I have seen from Nintendo to this very day. The strategy seems to be working for them, so w/e, but please do not act like they are as committed to the dedicated gamers out there as they used to be.

Yes, I watched the whole E3 conference of Nintendo and you apparently watched it too, given your comments in the Nintendo's E3 press conference thread. But somehow it seems you only saw what you wanted to see (that Nintendo is abandoning the core gamers). 

The truth is Nintendo clearly stated that they still will make games for these group of gamers and that they will support 3rd parties more than before to deliver core games on their console, see Mario Kart, online gaming and use of Miis in EA games for example.

Nintendo still is making as much core games as before (if not even more, considering the large output of games on the DS and Wii) and is also making games to expand the videogame market. Sure, the percentage of core games they release shrunk, but the number didn't. The casual games Nintendo makes don't come at the expense of their core games. 

If you want to think that Nintendo is abandoning the core market, go ahead and do so. But reality proves you wrong.

/Crow served 

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Here, RolStoppable, to serve crow to said individuals.

No, I'm going to have to agree with "TheSource". Sony doesn't considered this to be a price drop, so why should we. PS3 still costs 499/599 USD. Its not a price drop, its a 1 month sale to clear stock of the newly "gimped" 60 gb PS3.

Gimped by comparison, that is.

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.