By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts 2008 RPG gambit - success or failure?

Goddbless said:
slimeattack said:
Here were I live PC gaming is much more significant than any console. I don't think that unknown IPs such as Too Human or LO are going to help a lot. MS should secure Fallout 3 or another game like that and NOT release it on PC. A number of must-have games, good marketing, low prices and I can see the 360 becoming more popular.

The problem with that is PC gamers would be upset with Microsoft and the developer for turning their backs on them. If you look back at Gears of War or Mass Effect there was plenty uproar from PC gamers when it was announced the games would be 360 only. Then when they catered to fans by releasing it on PC they were ridiculed by console fans by saying they have no true exclusives.

actually it's more likely that PC fans ridiculed console fans for not having true exclusives, not the other way around. Console fans did however mock the fact that PC only got a few games months later.

ofcourse, we are talking about a very small group from both "sides".

Around the Network

Lost Odyssey wasn't a success at 780k. The game certainly lose money with the marketing they had and the cost of the game. However, the studio has the financial backing of Microsoft so it's not a problem for Mistwalker.

As for Tales of Vesperia, it's the highest budget for any Tales game and yet it's the one that sold the worst in Japan. I won't call that a success.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a 360 to play JRPGs but I think Microsoft is paying to have RPG to prevent PS3 to do good on that front. There aren't many RPG fans on Xbox console but those that are there are happy.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

shio said:
Goddbless said:
slimeattack said:
Here were I live PC gaming is much more significant than any console. I don't think that unknown IPs such as Too Human or LO are going to help a lot. MS should secure Fallout 3 or another game like that and NOT release it on PC. A number of must-have games, good marketing, low prices and I can see the 360 becoming more popular.

The problem with that is PC gamers would be upset with Microsoft and the developer for turning their backs on them. If you look back at Gears of War or Mass Effect there was plenty uproar from PC gamers when it was announced the games would be 360 only. Then when they catered to fans by releasing it on PC they were ridiculed by console fans by saying they have no true exclusives.

actually it's more likely that PC fans ridiculed console fans for not having true exclusives, not the other way around. Console fans did however mock the fact that PC only got a few games months later.

ofcourse, we are talking about a very small group from both "sides".

I'm sorry but when I said they I meant Microsoft was ridiculed by other console fans for not having true exclusives. My point is no matter what they do someone is going to have something to say. Do take notice however a lot of the games that are 360/PC are saying Games for Windows. So I guess that makes the game Microsoft exclusive other than 360 exclusive, but I'm starting to derail the thread now so I'll stop there.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Both a success and a failure. A success in the fact that it brings lots of good RPG's to its console. Failure in that the purpose in which it's done - expanding in Japan/preventing PS3's from being bought, is not achieved.

the RPGs only seem to create spike, not sustained growth(at least thus far)

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network
Xen said:
Both a success and a failure. A success in the fact that it brings lots of good RPG's to its console. Failure in that the purpose in which it's done - expanding in Japan/preventing PS3's from being bought, is not achieved.

Japan is not the only reason why they are implementing this strategy. Final Fantasy is also reasonably popular in the west as well, and this strategy has won them a version of that game.

Tease.

^Not this strategy, but the potential of the console mate...

Xen said:
^Not this strategy, but the potential of the console mate...

The only way to measure the success of the strategy is by measuring the sales of consoles/RPG games over the next year. The strategy directly relates to the potential of the console.

Tease.

Godot said:
Lost Odyssey wasn't a success at 780k. The game certainly lose money with the marketing they had and the cost of the game. However, the studio has the financial backing of Microsoft so it's not a problem for Mistwalker.

As for Tales of Vesperia, it's the highest budget for any Tales game and yet it's the one that sold the worst in Japan. I won't call that a success.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a 360 to play JRPGs but I think Microsoft is paying to have RPG to prevent PS3 to do good on that front. There aren't many RPG fans on Xbox console but those that are there are happy.

This.

One problem with moneyhatting RPGs is that moneyhatting a sequel becomes useless because the first game already had it's (tiny) intended impact on the install base. This is exactly why thenext mothership Tales title is already slated for Wii. It's going to backfire because it's temporary, only so few Japanese developers can afford to kamikaze the Japanese market on the 360 and the smaller developers who Microsoft isn't looking to moneyhat will have no choice but to go to another platform where their game isn't destined to fail in their homeland. 

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

People may be calling LO a failure, but I think nearly 800k is a good amount of sales, though I dont know how much it cost to make. Of course there are strong rumours that there will be another game (though I am not sure how it will fit in with the story, unless they take a FF approach) and also it helps develop Mistwalker's reputation, which should help future sales of their games