By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts 2008 RPG gambit - success or failure?

Im looking foward to Fable 2

Around the Network

I am prepared to call it a mild success. MS has done a nice job of mitigating Sony's dominance in the RPG market.

the thing in they are doing it to move hardware.
and are failing badly even ps3 with a high price and like 3 rpg is outselling it.

Well it certainly has an efect on the Xbox, the sales are rising in Japan. In the west? Barely an effect at all, only FF XIII has some effect (people that no longer need to buy a PS3 for the game).

What's bad about this? All the big RPG series are loosing sales, and quite some. ToV is one of the worst selling games in the series, so will SO 4 be. It isn't a problem, they received money from MS which compensates for the low sales. But, MS won't keep buying their timed exclusivity forever, which is very bad for the RPG genre.

But,  they are very successful on 'boycotting' the PS3. If the PS3 had all those RPG's, it would be selling a lot more in Japan;

jman8 said:
I think the RPG market is far too small in the west to make any substantial difference. MS probably knew this and weren't expecting much improvement in the west due to their RPGs. Instead they were hoping that the Japanese market would embrace the system, which hasn't happened. That's why the gamble has failed.

You fail becuase ToV made many Japanese gamers get a 360.  Oh, and if you think RPGs are a small market, then I guess you never heard of point and click adventure games.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
jman8 said:
I think the RPG market is far too small in the west to make any substantial difference. MS probably knew this and weren't expecting much improvement in the west due to their RPGs. Instead they were hoping that the Japanese market would embrace the system, which hasn't happened. That's why the gamble has failed.

You fail becuase ToV made many Japanese gamers get a 360.  Oh, and if you think RPGs are a small market, then I guess you never heard of point and click adventure games.

i hardly think 24k is alot.

its not selling like the psp/ds/wii either.

In a nutshell:

Success.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Sales might be marginally increasing, but they sure are treating their owners to a bevy of games.

Jo21 said:
Riachu said:
jman8 said:

You fail becuase ToV made many Japanese gamers get a 360. Oh, and if you think RPGs are a small market, then I guess you never heard of point and click adventure games.

i hardly think 24k is alot.

its not selling like the psp/ds/wii either.

Neither is the PS3/PS2....what's your point. You think one good RPG should have 360 out selling the Wii?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

It might be a success when they release a single solitary RPG that A) doesn't suck and B) doesn't end up on the PS3 or PC as well.

It looked like they had done that with Mass Effect until the EA acquisition (I have the PC version now thank god). Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and all the rest were just marginal, if they were on the PS2 they wouldn't even be in the top 10 (MAYBE the low end of the top 20, but probably not esp if you include SRPGs too). Eternal Sonata was probably the best of the JRPG bunch and, surprise, its headed to the PS3.

Unless Infinate Undiscovery is amazing it looks like that won't change...ever. I mean other then that there's Fable (which will be out on thePC like the last one was in a superior version), a bunch of co released with the PS3 games and a RPG balance that is perceptibly shifting to the PS3. I have a strong feeling that White Knight will be better then any of the 360 RPGs coming out this year.

Go ahead and talk about tales, but that is yet another title that never cracked the top 10 on the PS2 and is only exceptional now because the 360 field is so bad. The best upcoming JRPG is almost certainly Persona 4 going off how awesome the last ones were (especially 3, if you don't have Persona 3, get it, NOW!). With Valkriea Chronicles, White Knight and Disgeia comin up I would even argue that the PS3 may very well have the stronger stable of JRPGs coming out this year (again unless IU is AMAZING somehow, Tri Ace games seldom are though Star Ocean 3 probably did crack the top 10 for PS2 games).

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me