By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts 2008 RPG gambit - success or failure?

konnichiwa said:
Succes:

- The RPG's have sold more X360 units and will in the future attract another bunch of gamers who want to have a taste of those RPG's.

Failure:

- Those RPG's didn't sold very well or not so much as expected. It is quite sad to see games like Lost Odyssey have it hard to sell a million.

In the end MS will be happy to sell more X360's but probably expected to sell a lot more units and software;

Edit: Talking about JRPG's. WRPG's like Mass Effect are doing well and in my opinon those WRPG's are also a lot better than the JRPG's.

Very few non-FF, KH, or DQ JRPGs ever reach a million copies so that is to be expected

Around the Network

Did you forget Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Operation Darkness, and Spectral Force 3?

Yep. Chalk up three more.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

DMeisterJ said:
Success!

Anything that can expand your titles into different territories (both genre-wise and territory-wise) is pretty awesome. MS is enjoying some stronger than usual sales in Japan thanks to this, so it went over well.

Whether or not it makes a difference in the long run, who knows, but as of right now, an increase in Japan sales and RPGs is pretty good.

Correct. ToV so far as been a resounding success for MS in Japan, despite their own mistakes, as seen here:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=38547&start=-0

Hopefully other titles will meet with similar success.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

It makes me sad that the 360 is getting so many solid JRPG's so "SOON", i dont like the X360, but i admit that M$ is really smart at attacking $ony's weak spots while $ony is just jump'n around with useless Cr@p such as Afrika when it could be a game like a FF Spin off perhaps?

Overall, M$ = Win in terms of JRPG's AND WRPG's...

Overall, $ony = Fail (ATM) in terms of overall RPG's although there are a great lot of Exclusive JRPG's coming to the PS3 in "DUE TIME" such as White Knight, Valkria, And Versus XIII and alot more.

The only JRPG that came out or is coming out for the PS3 this year is Disgaie 3, Sega SJRPG may be coming this year to but meh.

So yeah M$ is smart, $0ny at the moment are Failures at the RPG Genre and i refuse to buy a 360 due to flawed hardware and P2P online. i guess i'll just have to wait...some more.....

ZenfoldorVGI said:
DMeisterJ said:
Success!

Anything that can expand your titles into different territories (both genre-wise and territory-wise) is pretty awesome. MS is enjoying some stronger than usual sales in Japan thanks to this, so it went over well.

Whether or not it makes a difference in the long run, who knows, but as of right now, an increase in Japan sales and RPGs is pretty good.

Correct. ToV so far as been a resounding success for MS in Japan, despite their own mistakes, as seen here:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=38547&start=-0

Hopefully other titles will meet with similar success.

I definitely see SO4 seeing similar success when it comes out.  I hate it when people say that ToV was a faliure just because it didn't sell a million copies.  Isn't that a little much to ask for a 360 game in Japan?

Around the Network

Or do SRPG not count?

They should! You counted Ninja Gaiden 2.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think that there is not a big market for RPGs in America and Europe, so it won't push consoles there. Quite ironically this will help the 360 in Japan.

I'll keep saying this was a success for MS, but a disaster for the japanese devs, and not effective at all to stop the PS3.

Talking strictly of JRPG, XB360 can't say it was left out or unsupported, as it has 7 JRPG right now (counting SRPG which is a genre of JRPG), with more to come soon (IU in first), with lots of production value for the traditional JRPG ones (the SRPG are very poor).

Wii has 6 JRPG (still counting SRPG), but it's 1 year younger. Of course, because of that and the poor 3rd party support, most Wii JRPG are far lower profile and cost way less to make, but still they sold more than the XB360 ones.

PS3 has 5 JRPG, which is not so bad, except that the 2 good ones are all SRPG, which is a very niche genre, 2 are nearly H SRPG (even more niche than SRPG), and 1 is a very bad traditional JRPG (Enchanted Arms) that I usually do not count as JRPG.
The good traditional JRPG are still to come on PS3 though, but they will come soon.

With Eternal Sonata coming soon, in an enhanced version, this will make 6 JRPG for the PS3 this year. Keep in mind the XB360 is one year older. So this strategy wasn't really effective against the PS3, especially as FFXIII is still exclusive to PS3 in Japan.

ookaze said:

I'll keep saying this was a success for MS, but a disaster for the japanese devs, and not effective at all to stop the PS3.

Talking strictly of JRPG, XB360 can't say it was left out or unsupported, as it has 7 JRPG right now (counting SRPG which is a genre of JRPG), with more to come soon (IU in first), with lots of production value for the traditional JRPG ones (the SRPG are very poor).

Wii has 6 JRPG (still counting SRPG), but it's 1 year younger. Of course, because of that and the poor 3rd party support, most Wii JRPG are far lower profile and cost way less to make, but still they sold more than the XB360 ones.

PS3 has 5 JRPG, which is not so bad, except that the 2 good ones are all SRPG, which is a very niche genre, 2 are nearly H SRPG (even more niche than SRPG), and 1 is a very bad traditional JRPG (Enchanted Arms) that I usually do not count as JRPG.
The good traditional JRPG are still to come on PS3 though, but they will come soon.

With Eternal Sonata coming soon, in an enhanced version, this will make 6 JRPG for the PS3 this year. Keep in mind the XB360 is one year older. So this strategy wasn't really effective against the PS3, especially as FFXIII is still exclusive to PS3 in Japan.

Why would smiting the PS3 be a worthwhile measure of the success of the recent and upcoming JRPGs? Futhermore why would the quantity of JRPG/JSRPGs on any competing system matter?

If the games are successful on the Xbox360, the are successful - theres no point in comparing them apples for oranges agaisnt another system as there are too many factors to consider in such a comparison.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

Why would smiting the PS3 be a worthwhile measure of the success of the recent and upcoming JRPGs? Futhermore why would the quantity of JRPG/JSRPGs on any competing system matter?

If the games are successful on the Xbox360, the are successful - theres no point in comparing them apples for oranges agaisnt another system as there are too many factors to consider in such a comparison.

The quantity of JRPG on any competing system doesn't matter. That is, unless you're MS, as it's the crux of their strategy to win Japan. This is the only reason we're having this ridiculous debate of who has the most JRPG.

The thing that we can compare, though, are games in the same series.

We have one example of this in the Tales Of series, where a low profile one sold more on Wii in Japan than the shiny high profile one on XB360.