By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts 2008 RPG gambit - success or failure?

ookaze said:
Squilliam said:

Why would smiting the PS3 be a worthwhile measure of the success of the recent and upcoming JRPGs? Futhermore why would the quantity of JRPG/JSRPGs on any competing system matter?

If the games are successful on the Xbox360, the are successful - theres no point in comparing them apples for oranges agaisnt another system as there are too many factors to consider in such a comparison.

The quantity of JRPG on any competing system doesn't matter. That is, unless you're MS, as it's the crux of their strategy to win Japan. This is the only reason we're having this ridiculous debate of who has the most JRPG.

The thing that we can compare, though, are games in the same series.

We have one example of this in the Tales Of series, where a low profile one sold more on Wii in Japan than the shiny high profile one on XB360.

I did not compare the PS3's RPGs to the Xbox360s and heck it wasn't even the purpose of the thread. The whole point was to take a look at Microsofts RPG strategy this year.

The main question is - can and will Microsoft expand the potential market for the Xbox360 with these RPGs/JRPGs?

Another side point is this - will the current userbase be satisfied with these offerings?

It doesn't matter that the Xbox360 is currently in last place in Japan/Europe or if a PS3 or Wii game outsells these games, because the point is whether or not its succeeding/will succeed or fail.

Tease.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
DMeisterJ said:
Success!

Anything that can expand your titles into different territories (both genre-wise and territory-wise) is pretty awesome. MS is enjoying some stronger than usual sales in Japan thanks to this, so it went over well.

Whether or not it makes a difference in the long run, who knows, but as of right now, an increase in Japan sales and RPGs is pretty good.

Correct. ToV so far as been a resounding success for MS in Japan, despite their own mistakes, as seen here:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=38547&start=-0

Hopefully other titles will meet with similar success.

I definitely see SO4 seeing similar success when it comes out.  I hate it when people say that ToV was a faliure just because it didn't sell a million copies.  Isn't that a little much to ask for a 360 game in Japan?

Fair expectations seem to go out the window when people feel the inexplicable need to justify their console of choice.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

too soon to tell..... lets let the holiday season pass.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Squilliam said:

I did not compare the PS3's RPGs to the Xbox360s and heck it wasn't even the purpose of the thread. The whole point was to take a look at Microsofts RPG strategy this year.

The main question is - can and will Microsoft expand the potential market for the Xbox360 with these RPGs/JRPGs?

Another side point is this - will the current userbase be satisfied with these offerings?

It doesn't matter that the Xbox360 is currently in last place in Japan/Europe or if a PS3 or Wii game outsells these games, because the point is whether or not its succeeding/will succeed or fail.

Seems like it isn't obvious for you, so I'll have to say it explicitely.

It matters that games (specifically JRPG) on PS3 or Wii outsell these games (JRPG) on XB36, because they give you exactly the answers you need to your 2 questions:

main question: MS can't expand the potential market for XB360 with these JRPG, as they're actually shrinking these markets (lower profile games in the same series sell higher on other consoles, while the higher profile game on XB360 sell less).

side point: doubtful, put possible. You'll know that when FFXIII is released.

I know we're talking 2008 but FFXIII is a big point, it is their real hope for making their console the stand out RPG console, if they can get it released in Japan on 360 as well they can get a serious footing and the whole JRPG plan to get into other markets will work, if not I think the plan will be an almost failure as they only seem to please a few japanese fans and mostly please the american market that already has the system and a lot of MS's games.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

For MS, modest success but I don't believe it has (so far) been anything to get excited about.

However I'd say it's been mixed for the games. ToV would probably have sold more on another platform for example.

Realistically it hasn't yet made any great difference in Japan. Best result so far is a spike that briefly took 360 past the mediocre sales of PS3 and still left it miles behind Wii and potential console sales in the region.

Had MS secured FF as a true multi-platform with a Japan release I'd say a definite success, but without that I think the results will remain mixed at best in Japan, particularly as (belatedly) the PS3 starts to get its own RPGs out.

In US I'd say its had the most impact - but arguably that's where MS needs help the least.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
For MS, modest success but I don't believe it has (so far) been anything to get excited about.

However I'd say it's been mixed for the games. ToV would probably have sold more on another platform for example.

Realistically it hasn't yet made any great difference in Japan. Best result so far is a spike that briefly took 360 past the mediocre sales of PS3 and still left it miles behind Wii and potential console sales in the region.

Had MS secured FF as a true multi-platform with a Japan release I'd say a definite success, but without that I think the results will remain mixed at best in Japan, particularly as (belatedly) the PS3 starts to get its own RPGs out.

In US I'd say its had the most impact - but arguably that's where MS needs help the least.

Amazing analysis.  The game would have sold better on a platform with a larger userbase.  I wish I had some sort of prize for you.

JaggedSac said:
Reasonable said:

Amazing analysis. The game would have sold better on a platform with a larger userbase. I wish I had some sort of prize for you.

This is the problem some people seem to have.  Certain people seem to get the idea that the Playstation (J)RPG fanbase was made from thin air.  However,  the RPG fanbase on the Playstation brand wasn't that large until FFVII came out.  A similar thing is happening with the 360 if you look at the sales of Lost Odyssey.  Even so, ToV has quite a few things going against it in terms of the chances of getting LO-like popularity.

JaggedSac said:
Reasonable said:

Amazing analysis.  The game would have sold better on a platform with a larger userbase.  I wish I had some sort of prize for you.

That's not the point Mr Sac.  The point is that without MS paying for it games like ToV wouldn't be exclusive as the install base doesn't warrant it, and with the small pike 360 got its not looking likely to gain enough Japanese install base to warrant other titles without paying for them either.

This nonetheless helps MS as they are looking for an improvement, but for the actual games they're selling less than their potential which I don't think is good.

Why not read in context rather than highlight something out of context?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
JaggedSac said:
Reasonable said:

That's not the point Mr Sac.  The point is that without MS paying for it games like ToV wouldn't be exclusive as the install base doesn't warrant it, and with the small pike 360 got its not looking likely to gain enough Japanese install base to warrant other titles without paying for them either.

This nonetheless helps MS as they are looking for an improvement, but for the actual games they're selling less than their potential which I don't think is good.

Why not read in context rather than highlight something out of context?

You do realise theres a fairly decent JRPG fanbase in the U.S as well?

Furthermore it helps to win/keep the hardcore gamers who want a lot of different content for their systems.

Lastly JRPG games are a good synergy with the RPG fanbase which Microsoft seems intent on winning over at the moment.

Tease.