By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Others numbers are up.

Amazing that Wii can sell even when nothing is coming out for the rest of the year, if it can keep the numbers there till next year I think its insane.

Around the Network
ruibing said:
The PS3 can't be restocked soon enough, especially in the US.

Neither can the Wii. Especially in the US.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

fastyxx said:
MANUELF said:
36 of the top 50 in Others is for Nintendo consoles if than doesnt change the mind of the third partys I dont know what can.

I don't agree at all.  19 of those 36, including 10 of the top charting 12 Wii/DS titles are Nintendo-published games.  And you can add one more in each of those categories for Sega-developed Sonic and Mario, which, of course, has Mario in the title.  Take out the power of Activision/guitar Hero brand name and you get not a lot else.

You have Carnival Games, a Wii-sports ripoff and Ubisoft's wierdly popular Imagine games.  and that's about it for that top 50.  What in there inspires any non-superpowers (i.e. NOT E.A./Ubi/Activision) to actually go crazy in Nintendo development.  They are always going to get crushed by the first party titles.  Yes, they can make money on shovelware, but it just doesn't seem like good business right now to invest a lot of cash into developing for Nintendo platforms if you are a smaller publisher - again, other than cheapie ports or shovelware games.

It's easy to look at all the DS and Wii games and have your opinion, but if you really look at it, it shows another story for the 3rd parties.

I blame Nintendo for make the best games in the industry.

Xen said:
fastyxx said:
MANUELF said:
36 of the top 50 in Others is for Nintendo consoles if than doesnt change the mind of the third partys I dont know what can.

I don't agree at all.  19 of those 36, including 10 of the top charting 12 Wii/DS titles are Nintendo-published games.  And you can add one more in each of those categories for Sega-developed Sonic and Mario, which, of course, has Mario in the title.  Take out the power of Activision/guitar Hero brand name and you get not a lot else.

You have Carnival Games, a Wii-sports ripoff and Ubisoft's wierdly popular Imagine games.  and that's about it for that top 50.  What in there inspires any non-superpowers (i.e. NOT E.A./Ubi/Activision) to actually go crazy in Nintendo development.  They are always going to get crushed by the first party titles.  Yes, they can make money on shovelware, but it just doesn't seem like good business right now to invest a lot of cash into developing for Nintendo platforms if you are a smaller publisher - again, other than cheapie ports or shovelware games.

It's easy to look at all the DS and Wii games and have your opinion, but if you really look at it, it shows another story for the 3rd parties.

Couldn't have said it better.

That's why there is WiiWare. Smaller publishers can get their games out on cheap budgets while still making reletively good games.

Just kiss the tip.

wow wii fit outsold ps3 and 360 combined 0_o

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

I wonder if you compare profitability of 3rd party games on the Wii against profitability of 3rd party games on the 360 and PS3, how the numbers would pan out.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3rd party profitability on the PS360 was negative, seeing as how 30 percent of games now make profits, and I'm sure that most Wii games easily recovered development costs.

I think it's almost a certainty that the Wii has the highest profitibility per game, per console, for 3rd parties, simply due to monumental losses companies have made trying to appeal to the core gamer on the 360/PS3 with monumental development costs and flopped games.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I wonder if you compare profitability of 3rd party games on the Wii against profitability of 3rd party games on the 360 and PS3, how the numbers would pan out.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3rd party profitability on the PS360 was negative, seeing as how 30 percent of games now make profits, and I'm sure that most Wii games easily recovered development costs.

I think it's almost a certainty that the Wii has the highest profitibility per game, per console, for 3rd parties, simply due to monumental losses companies have made trying to appeal to the core gamer on the 360/PS3 with monumental development costs and flopped games.

I don't think those profitable third party games are going to get much praise from the Nintendo fans on this site.

Tease.

... and these sales make my WiiFit sales prediction a success in the letter of the law, if not the spirit. Only 25 million to go...

@squilliam; you obviously haven't heard us talk abot RE4: Wii, RE:UC, Z+W, NMH, GH3, etc., all of which I am sure were profitable

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

TWRoO said:
TheTruthHurts! said:
I wonder if the America numbers will still post on Wednesday or if VG will wait until after the NPD July numbers post. Either way, it looks like Wii is picking up, more and more, while 360 and PS3 battle it out. At the current rate it looks like 360 might win out for July and August vs PS3.

Why would he wait till after NPD?

The next American numbers are nothing to do with July NPD

My question was more a curiousity on if the numbers from America would be late this week due to the evaluation threads usually conducted by the site management prior to and after the NPD numbers are available.  On several occasion prior to the NPD numbers the America weekly numbers were posponed until the weekend. 

I have even seen the Japan numbers prior to the America numbers on some occasions.  This simply could be due to the amount of data the site is processing that week or that the site management has a life.  The NPD prediction and evaluation threads are always well detailed and organized so prepairing for late numbers until after the NPD threads were posted was simply a possible scenerio, thats all.   Please dont read too much into it.

alpha_dk said:

... and these sales make my WiiFit sales prediction a success in the letter of the law, if not the spirit. Only 25 million to go...

@squilliam; you obviously haven't heard us talk abot RE4: Wii, RE:UC Poos, Z+W , NMH , GH3, etc., all of which I am sure were profitable

Those are the exceptions, not the rule! xD

Tease.