By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Others numbers are up.

fastyxx said:
MANUELF said:
36 of the top 50 in Others is for Nintendo consoles if than doesnt change the mind of the third partys I dont know what can.

I don't agree at all.  19 of those 36, including 10 of the top charting 12 Wii/DS titles are Nintendo-published games.  And you can add one more in each of those categories for Sega-developed Sonic and Mario, which, of course, has Mario in the title.  Take out the power of Activision/guitar Hero brand name and you get not a lot else.

You have Carnival Games, a Wii-sports ripoff and Ubisoft's wierdly popular Imagine games.  and that's about it for that top 50.  What in there inspires any non-superpowers (i.e. NOT E.A./Ubi/Activision) to actually go crazy in Nintendo development.  They are always going to get crushed by the first party titles.  Yes, they can make money on shovelware, but it just doesn't seem like good business right now to invest a lot of cash into developing for Nintendo platforms if you are a smaller publisher - again, other than cheapie ports or shovelware games.

It's easy to look at all the DS and Wii games and have your opinion, but if you really look at it, it shows another story for the 3rd parties.

False logic.

3rd parties haven't put a AAA effort on Wii to combat Nintendo directly so how exactly is Nintendo crushing non-existant efforts?

Sounds me like you are assuming the only profitable path for 3rd parties is are low budget casual oriented titles.   I'm not saying you aren't correct but what high budget efforts do we have to compare that with?  None.   They haven't even tried yet so why assume it's 'yi luan tou shi'? - inevitable failure.

To me it shows an open door for 3rd parties.  A blue oecean in a blue oecean if you will.  An untapped market of potential.  If 3rd parties are scared of high budget titles on Wii against Nintendo then don't make a bigh budget Mario clone or high budget kart game.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

False logic.

3rd parties haven't put a AAA effort on Wii to combat Nintendo directly so how exactly is Nintendo crushing non-existant efforts?

Sounds me like you are assuming the only profitable path for 3rd parties is are low budget casual oriented titles.   I'm not saying you aren't correct but what high budget efforts do we have to compare that with?  None.   They haven't even tried yet so why assume it's 'yi luan tou shi'? - inevitable failure.

To me it shows an open door for 3rd parties.  A blue oecean in a blue oecean if you will.  An untapped market of potential.  If 3rd parties are scared of high budget titles on Wii against Nintendo then don't make a bigh budget Mario clone or high budget kart game.

Look at the VG list for top 50 worldwide sellers for Wii.

What in that list is supposed to get 3rd party developers encouraged?   There's essentially 28 million sellers, and they are virtually ALL Nintendo, Guitar Hero, Legos, and ports of Resident Evil or ports from E.A./Ubi/Sega's big franchises.  

Click to DS on that link and look at that list.  It's even worse in terms of being limited to first-party and E.A./Activiosn/Sega/Ubi heavy titles.  Now granted the software numbers here are somewhat incomplete, but you get my point.

There's some money to be made on development-cheap titles , but you aren't likely to sell more than 100k unless you're one of the big boys.  It happens occasionally that you get a 500k seller, but it's a risk.  And remember that DS and Wii games cost less at retail than PS3/360 games so the profit margin is lower.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Epic DS numbers!!!!!!

huh ..nintendos unstoppable!!!

Like I said previuosly, how long do we actually give for PS3 shortage? It seems well stocked here in the UK. How long before we admit the 360 is making decent ground on the PS3 and pulling a gap out. I actually am beginning to think the 360 will finish 2nd this gen in WW.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
SmokedHostage said:

For the week of August 9, 2008

DS - 272,365
Wii -193,067
PSP - 75,053
PS3 - 67,128
X360 - 55,284

Discuss

Nothing to discuss...

THIS.

It's the same thing we see week after week after week after week.  Nothing is new.  While I think discussion on such matters is fine, overall, it's getting annoying to see topics posting this as if it were news.  Every week, for every region, there is a section where comments can be posted.  That is where this discussion belongs.  As a whole, members of this site act almost as if it's a shock that the weekly numbers of a region has gone up, and some person with the urge to make a name for themselves always feels the need to step p an make a topic about it.  Why don't we just talk about these things in the place already devoted for the discussion and leave the forums to things that might actually warrent extended discussion?

You do not have the right to never be offended.

kowenicki said:
Xen said:
psrock said:
wow, is the ps3 low on stock or does it need a price cut?

Both.

it isnt low on stock in europe.

Isn't Sony phasing out the 40gb world wide? coulda sworn Sony and ioi said so. Either way, who would want a 40gb if they could buy a 80gb for the same price? Sony should have done the same as MS (or used the same strategy when they dropped the 60gb PS3) and droped the price of the 40gb so it stays in demand. The annoucement of the 80gb should have came in shorter notice so they don't keep their costumers waiting for a better deal. Poor marketing and timing on Sony's part.

It's really nice that Guitar hero sells well in europe.

Xbox 360 on low stock with a new 60gb model coming soon (Next week?) sells decent.

PS3 stock shortages over here starting to show...

Local GAME didn't have any, they said they weren't getting any until the new 80gb shipment which they think plays PS2 games, because they are marketing it as such. Lmao.

MGS4!