By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

facepalm
PGR3 is of course Project Gotham Racing 3 and Splinter Cell is NOT a FPS !!!

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Dno said:
lol @ Onimusha12

you fail

You say he failed...yet give no back up to why he did. Nice.

Combined sales look good, but seperately sales were OK, nothing great. I expected higher for both versions.

I am pretty sure developers combine the sales of all versions of multiplatform games.  Did you guys expect this game to sell millions of copies in its first week.  If you look at the sales of latest Soul Calibur as well as Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Dead or Alive games, you people would realize that fighting games are in a decline in terms of sales.  Shooters, action/adventure games, WRPGs, and even JRPGs are beating fighting games in terms of market share

It's still a fighting game

Sure but definitely not in competition to the others. Fighting games like Virtua Fighter do not seem to have a place on Wii this gen. (Until now) so you can start arguing that HD consoles are bad at selling those when the Wii starts to sell them better.

You meen "oops" not "UPS"?

LOL you are funny.

Yes damage control, because the game being crap had nothing to do with its failure. And how is it ironic? Irony requires context which you haven't provided. Simply implying an argument doesn't mean you've actually made one Kyros. This game was made a different genre for completely alien reasons from that which I suggested the same be done for Soul Calibur on the HD consoles which is only furthered by the fact that Soul Calibur never put itself to the test on the Wii first before this little spin-off.

Sorry but I do not understand exactly what you are arguing in this paragraph. Try to make your points clearer please. Again you said Soul Calibur would need to be a FPS on HD consoles to succeed. Despite the fact that it sold 650k in its first week. Which is pretty good given the not exactly supreme reviews. You defend the bad sales of Soul Calibur on the Wii with bad reviews but you say the good but not great sales of Soul Calibur 4 are because of the HD consoles and not because it got lower than expected review scores. Seems weird to me.

Yes great franchises that are all in decline

Which Soul Calibur game had 650k first week sales again? Besides it could have to something to do with the fact that fighters simply are not en vogue anymore or doesn't this fit into your world? 2D Jump&Run like Wario also sell like dirt today on Wii or on HD consoles. Times are changing.

Given the dire situation of third-party games in classic non-minigame genres on Wii I would be careful with implying that HD consoles are to blame for any game that sells badly. They seem to be the last heaven for them. Carnival Games for the win

Great, we get to argue what genre sells the most here?

The fact that Wii Play, one of the worst games I've ever played or bought, sold 14 million copies makes me know that the genre that ACTUALLY sells most is the gimmick genre, not the FPS genre.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

axumblade said:
On Topic: I think that this game will end up doing just fine in the end. I'm hoping the game has some legs though.

Off Topic:I have heard that Yoda is a "broken character" from somebody that has the 360 game. I was just curious if it was true so I don't end up spending 5 bucks on a character that's not worth it. Note: I'm not really trying to troll, I was just curious.

Yoda isnt broken. Whiners say he is because he cant be thrown, and you cant use high attacks against him, you have to use medium/low.

He's a joke to beat.. honestly. Ive never lost to a Yoda player once online.

Darth BTW is the character between Apprentice/Yoda.. I 1ked the game recently, and no other character popped up.. its already been confirmed he will be DLC at some point soon.

Around the Network

Kyros said:

It's still a fighting game

Sure but definitely not in competition to the others. Fighting games like Virtua Fighter do not seem to have a place on Wii this gen. (Until now) so you can start arguing that HD consoles are bad at selling those when the Wii starts to sell them better.

Really, how do you figure they're not competing? By that logic what evidence than any fighting games are competing? Sounds like excuses to me. I don't need these games to be on the Wii to see how much better they sold on the PS2 and how much more money they made then given lower development costs.

If all you can do is stipulates conditions of exceptions to the rule, then you've really not much of a defense now do you?

You meen "oops" not "UPS"?

LOL you are funny.

I aim to put a smile on everyone's face. :)

Yes damage control, because the game being crap had nothing to do with its failure. And how is it ironic? Irony requires context which you haven't provided. Simply implying an argument doesn't mean you've actually made one Kyros. This game was made a different genre for completely alien reasons from that which I suggested the same be done for Soul Calibur on the HD consoles which is only furthered by the fact that Soul Calibur never put itself to the test on the Wii first before this little spin-off.

Sorry but I do not understand exactly what you are arguing in this paragraph. Try to make your points clearer please. Again you said Soul Calibur would need to be a FPS on HD consoles to succeed. Despite the fact that it sold 650k in its first week. Which is pretty good given the not exactly supreme reviews. You defend the bad sales of Soul Calibur on the Wii with bad reviews but you say the good but not great sales of Soul Calibur 4 are because of the HD consoles and not because it got lower than expected review scores. Seems weird to me.

Really? Even Bandai-Namco said Soul Calibur for the Wii was a terrible game, bad even then its reviews were far worse than any Soul Calibur 4 recieved. Also, I don't remember seeing any advertising for the Soul Calibur for the Wii. Unles you're willing to cocede both Soul Calibur Legends and Soul Calibur 4 are of the exact same quality, your argument holds no water. They weren't even developed by the same teams in Namco.

650k out of 2m units shipped isn't that impressive, especially with all the money put into the advertising campaign for the game. I suppose you want us to give them an A for effort?

Even if this Soul Calibur for the HD Consoles was the best selling version the higher cost of development cleanly squashes any profits, if it does make its money back it will most likely show the most pitiful returns of any Soul Calibur to date. Thus is where the suggestion of the one popular genre for the HD Consoles comes into fray, First Person Shooters. This context does not exist for the Wii, they have not put a real Soul Calibur game on the Wii yet, they just went strait to a crappy low budget spin--off, so forgive me if I fail to see the irony in two completely alien circumstances.

Yes great franchises that are all in decline

Which Soul Calibur game had 650k first week sales again? Besides it could have to something to do with the fact that fighters simply are not en vogue anymore or doesn't this fit into your world? 2D Jump&Run like Wario also sell like dirt today on Wii or on HD consoles. Times are changing.

So first you claim the game is selling well then say it isn't selling well because fighters aren't the in thing anymore. To be honest, Fighters aren't so much selling worse as they're just too expensive to develop on the HD consoles and realistically expect to turn a profit. And when Wario comes out stateside and in Europe we'll just have to see just how well it does, consider now its only out in Japan. Funny thing is Soul Calibur 4 only sold well in America, it bombed everywhere else.

Given the dire situation of third-party games in classic non-minigame genres on Wii I would be careful with implying that HD consoles are to blame for any game that sells badly. They seem to be the last heaven for them. Carnival Games for the win

Lol, the last heaven you say? The dire situation of third-party games on the Wii is due to poor support and a lack of good games rather than good games not selling so your argument is moot. Though it was a cute gesture on your part to try and work in a running jab, lol. When the Wii gets first tier games like Soul Calibur 4, Resident Evil 5, Devil May Cry 4, Virtua Fighter 5, etc and they don't sell, then you can cry fowl on third party games selling for the Wii, but considering the lack of any attempt to put serious third party support on the Wii or any advertising for that matter, I think the Wii is doing a hell of alot better than what the PS3 or 360 could manage on such offerings. In fact I guess HD gaming period isn't "en vogue" this generation at all because the Wii inspite of poor third party support is still outselling the competition combined. Funny world isn't it. 

Uh, aside from that mess^ I think the PS3 sales have been pretty strong considering it won in Japan and Others. XBOX360 had it's biggest win in the US. I could see that PS3 will possibly have longer legs and may be the first (to my recolection, please feel free to correct this statement if not true) multiplatform title to outsellon PS3 vs. XBOX360. Vader prolly helped those who own both. Personally I was as excited as any other SW fan to see Yoda kick ass in the movie, but seriously having him in the game instead of Vader, thats a kick in the pants! I understood what they did with SC2, but I thought that was a bad call this time around. I agree with 123Longname. One was best, I have 2 3 I didnt care for, 4 meh (especially bien a Wii owner).

btw... I secretly wonder if they will make SC4Wii with Luke Skywalker.. well not so secretly. hi hi hi

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

SC4 for the Wii with Jedi Link would be interesting, lol

Onimusha12 said:
Dno said:
Onimusha12 said:

The game is considered by most fans of the series to be the weakest instalment to date and reviews have been fairly mixed. Despite heavy advertising for the game and a shipment order of 2m units, the game has performed modestly and if its legs don't hold up it could easily be just another casualty of the HD movement.

In the end the biggest selling point of this game everyone agrees is the Star Wars tie in, outside of that it would have been lucky to see the sales of Virtua Fighter 5.

Maybe Bandai Namco should consider making a Soul Callibur FPS if they want to compete realistically on the HD consoles

Games that arent FPS that sold million(s) on HD consoles

1. Gran Turismo 5 Pro

First Party game, and okay, I change my previous statement, maybe they should make Sould Calibur an FPS or Luxury Car Racer, lol.

Still sold over 2 million and its not a FPS? your running out of genres to add to the "HD only sells" list

2. Heavenly Sword

First Party game, and even then unless it has broken the 1,300,000 mark in sales its safe to assume its not made its money back yet, and even if it were to, it would be a very slim margin of profit.

It still sold over 1 million and it came out of the slowest and lowest userbase this gen. Sony said themselves that a title needs to sell a million make a PROFIT. ill trust sony before i trust you

3. Devil May Cry

The game barely sold as much as its previous iterations and for all the advertising and development put into the title, its sales are still somewhat dissapointing.

But it out sold a previous title that was on the ps2 and the ps2 had what 100 million consoles sold? Going be you logic nintendo is COMPLETE fail because mario did not sell 15 million copies like mario 3 did. Fail 

4. Assassins Creed

Yes, because that's the kind of game you want to use as a testament to the quality taste of HD gaming. I guess competing realistically means making Prince of Persia clones.

Actually if you would stop putting your foot in you mouth and play it you would no that its more like a GTA clone then the prince. And guess what? it sold over 3 million. Fail

5. Mass effect

Since EA is $95 million dollars in debt as of the first quarter I think its safe to assume we can discount any of their games as competing realistically in any market.

But EA is the number 1 3rd party? and their number 1 game is madden and it didnt come out yet.... Care to make a bet on EAs profits next quater?

6. Motorstorm

Again, first party support, and bundled in some regions. Nice try.

What does 1st party have to do with everything? i dont under stand because its 1st party then it doesnt count? and motorstorm was at 1 million BEFORE it was bundled. Nice try. Fail

7. Guitar hero

Which sells far better on the PS2 and Wii than either of the HD consoles.

OMG CALL THE COPS!!! A GAME SOLD MORE ON A 120 MILLION USERBASE AND THE NUMBER ONE NEXT GEN SYSTEM OMG!!!!!! fAIL

8. Forza

Again, First Party support, and a racer, so we have FPSs and Racers, congrats.

Again 1st party games dont count? then you "non-HD wii" is in trouble because as i recall all Wii games that are selling are from nintendo. Fail

9. Uncharted

A First party game and one that's only barely broken the 1,300,000 barrier of making its money back. There is some realism for you.

You cant even give me realism because you dont under stand that games on HD consoles sell. since when is 1 million sells bad?

10. madden 06, 07,08

Since EA is $95 million dollars in debt as of the first quarter I think its safe to assume we can discount any of their games as competing realistically in any market.

But madden sells better on 360 the wii? Hmmmm i guess we can safely assume that they are wasting their money on non HD systems them?

11.All Fifa's

Hmmm how many million has fifa sold on 360... then how many on wii? FAIL

12. MGS4

Yeah, it only took 70 million dollars, four years of development, being hyped more than any game ever in existence, BUNDLED WITH THE DAMN CONSOLE AT A BARGAIN DEAL to sell as well as it has. I sure hope all developers can afford to put this much money and effort into one game per generation to compete realistically on the HD consoles.

over 2 MILLION in sales in 1-2 months.... and wii sports was bundle from the start. and wii play.. etc so lets not count those and lets see how much nintendo games sell.

13. GTA4

Yeah, it only took 100 million dollars and years of development to make a game that could hope to muscle its money back.

hahahahha that games sold over 5 million only a FOOL would think it didnt make its money back.... LMAO FAIL

14. Pro Evolution

Again, sports games, congrats, you've definitly reached for the higher ground here, these still sell better on the PS2 consoles. I'm sure Soccer Games are why you choose HD gaming.

OMG A GAMES SELL MORE ON A SYSTEM WITH A HIGHER USERBASE OMG!!!!!!! there are a lot of people ("others") that bought HD gaming for sports.

15. Ratchet & Clank

First Party support. The Game that is just beneath the barrier of 1,300,000 units that is typically assumed to be the mark by which a game breaks even with development costs. Even if it has the profit, the margin must be pretty damn bleak.

they make a game every year and make money.. thats why they are one of the TOP devs. this game made a profit not break even. POINT IS HD GAMES SELL!!!!!!

16. Elder Scrolls (well u can play in FP mode but its not a FPS)

All hail PC ports. What are you going to try and use the Orange Box and Unreal Tournament III as examples now?

as long as they sell i will use them. you are soooo gonna say "HD consoles cant sell anythin besides all sports, racing, fighting, adventure, 1st party, and 3rd party games" you are running out of excuses.

17. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

The Game was Bundled and is multiplatform

at 1 million BEFORE being bundled on 360.

18. Saints Row

At least it broke even with development costs. Still not much in the ways of profit.

and i can safely assume that you kno they didnt break even... but yet they are making a sequal..... and it has a huge budget? hmmmmmm

19. Fight Night Round 3

but again it sold 1 million... how many boxing games on the wii sold 1 million?

20. Dead Rising

Because that didn't just barely make its money back.

but it did make its money back. as i recall capcoms statemants show a PROFIT!!! FAIL

21. Rock band

Really, because its not selling nearly as well as Guitar Hero is.

but its at oveer a million on HD consoles. You making stupid points. Thats like saying all your Non HD games are no where near halo 3 (and most arent) FAil

22. Crack down

First Party Game and still only barely made its money back.

i would love to see how you know this. Because last i recall this game sold 700k in a month. thats really making its money back if i ever heard of it.

23. PGR3

Whatever that is

Its a racing game that has a huge fanbase. and its over a million BTW.

24. Both Need For Speeds

Since EA is $95 million dollars in debt as of the first quarter I think its safe to assume we can discount any of their games as competing realistically in any market. And oh boy, another racing game.

/sigh

25. Viva Pinata

First Party support and fairly unremarkable sales, way to be.

unremarkable? 1 million? really? damn

26. WWE smackdown

Another game that sold the best on the PS2.

OMG A GAME SOLD MORE ON A SYSTEM WITH MORE USERS OMG CALL THE FREAKING COP!!!!!!!!! 1 million on 360 you fail!

27. Splinter Cell

An FPS, I thought you were avoiding those.

Noob LOL FAIL!!!!!!!! (in case you didnt get it its not a FPS.. think MGS4)

28. Kane & Lynch

Because that's a game you want to use as a bench mark.

Hmmm wii fit or a nice co op game to play with a friend? hmmmm

29. DEAD OR ALIVE (and this one is a fighting game)

You mean the games that are selling less and less with each iteration of the series?

you can say the same for metriod, mario, zelda, mario kart, list goes on. launch game ONE MILLION!!!!

Im not even gonna talk about up and coming games that will (and i quote) "compete realistically on the HD consoles"

Fail

So basically we have by and large sports games, racing games and shooting games. And pay no mind to the games in the list that are bundled with consoles, first party titles or haven't or just have barely made their money back. And no matter how good any of them do they're still making less money back than previous generations.

If these games really were competing realistically, then why are most of their publishers barely keeping their heads above water financially? I think we can assume any game published by EA isn't competeing realistically in the market, lol.

My answers are in blue

HD cost more to make we understand that thats why the profits are down but the end product are MUCH better. and as i recall EA is doing fine and so are MOST devs. Your info is wrong and you fail again!

nice try but if you dont no what Splinter cell is why are you here?

FAIL FAIL FAIL!

LOL @ YOU

Shadowblind said:
Great, we get to argue what genre sells the most here?

The fact that Wii Play, one of the worst games I've ever played or bought, sold 14 million copies makes me know that the genre that ACTUALLY sells most is the gimmick genre, not the FPS genre.

hahah thats true very gimmicky