By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can ps3 outsale the xbox 360

darkshadow23 said:
mrstickball said:
Gobias said:
mrstickball said:
If it passes it, it will be no earlier than Holiday 09. With the X360 now leading the PS3 for the past 3 weeks, it's getting less likely the PS3 will do it any time soon.

Heck, the X360 could make up a bit of ground between now and Holiday 08, and both consoles could be at the 5.5m gap again...

3 weeks as opposed to the entire first half of this year?

Are you delusional?

Shortages+clearance price= temporary.

Don't start yammering on and on about your "price cut" either, because thats a rumor and will stay a rumor until it actually happens.

Here's the issue:

For all the analysis, and PS3 fanboy hopes and dreams, the past 3 weeks prove that there is no clear-cut winner in the X360 vs. PS3 wars. The PS3 gets a price drop, it leads. The X360 gets a price drop, it wins. The whole issue is that neither console has real traction against the other. But what is the case, is that the Xbox 360 still has a lead of roughly 5,450,000 units, and may grow for the next 2-3 weeks, even without a true price drop.

And despite every Sony fanboy's proclaimation about awesome exclusives, MGS4 has been the only game ever to give the PS3 a major hardware boost. Likewise, the X360 has only had Halo do a similar thing.

So this tells me what neither console is going to gain significant ground on the other, unless price drop(s) occur. We can argue about the legitimacy of the X360 pricecut that is rumored to happen on the 7th. However, what we do know is that the temporary pricecut in the US has solidifed the X360 sales for 3 weeks now. Again, this points to the central fact that price trumps games.

And in a price war, who has the more favorable positioning - Microsoft or Sony? The answer is, Microsoft. So because of that, it's very unlikely that the Playstation 3 will outsell the Xbox 360 until the prices become very close, which is either a long way off, or a stupid move by MS and a smart move by Sony.

Altogether, we have:

1) A 5,450,000 unit lead by the Xbox 360 as of Today

2) A battle between the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 that we can determine neither can win without price drops, or very rare exclusives

3) A shifting battle

So if the battle is neutral, why aren't we to take that gigantic 5.4m lead, and realize that it's going to take a lot of moves by Sony to ever get past the Xbox 360?

When the PS3 first came out the 360 had already sold 13.6 million units. It closed that up pretty fast. Now we are at a 5.5 million difference. The PS3 is catching up quickly and with all these exclusives for it coming out like SOCOM, LBP, Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2, KZ2, and many more it could pass

It's amazing how you just pulled those numbers out of your ass. The 360 was at about 5.3mil. If I could kindly direct your attention to this chart here.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network
darkshadow23 said:

When the PS3 first came out the 360 had already sold 13.6 million units. It closed that up pretty fast. Now we are at a 5.5 million difference. The PS3 is catching up quickly and with all these exclusives for it coming out like SOCOM, LBP, Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2, KZ2, and many more it could pass

Wrong. http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=38711&end=39082&weekly=1

The Xbox 360 was at approximately 5.3 million units sold. I have no clue where your pulling that 13.6m number out of.

Also, by playing the PS3 exclusive card with SOCOM, LBP, Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2, and KZ2, you are using flawed logic.

Why? I can mention Gears of War 2, Tales of Vesperia, Fable 2, Alan Wake, Huxley, Banjo & Kazooie, Star Ocean 4, and many more that can equally keep the X360 selling, and nullify the PS3's exclusives. Using exclusives at this point in the game is a real lost cause: the PS3 has no more hardware-movers than the X360 does.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

darkshadow23 said:

When the PS3 first came out the 360 had already sold 13.6 million units.  It closed that up pretty fast.  Now we are at a 5.5 million difference.  The PS3 is catching up quickly and with all these exclusives for it coming out like SOCOM, LBP, Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2, KZ2, and many more it could pass

What the HELL are you talking about???!! 13.6 million???!!!! it was just topping 5.3 million when the PS3 launched. http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=39033&console=&maker=&boxartz=1 Edit: waaay beaten.....

OT: yes. Late 09 at the earliest. Sony really needs to get the price down, like now.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Squilliam said:
Strange, the optimistic assertions in this thread when the Xbox360 has outsold the PS3 for the last month, will probably be close or ahead of it this month and most certainly will have a decent margin next month when the price cut takes effect.

last month versus the whole year, YEAH :)

If the price drop is real, then worldwide is only a maybe. One thing is certain though--even if the forthcoming cut doesnt happen--the PS3 WON'T win America unless something very drastic happens. Considering last gen, I think that's a pretty impressive accomplishment for M'soft.

That being said: why do you really care? I'm interested in the sales of both consoles, but i really couldnt give a crap about which wins. I hope and believe they will both do well, because they both have some wonderful pieces of art coming to them.

Around the Network

I did some looking and here's what I'm looking at.

The gap between weekly sales always seemed to fluctuate so I never got a clear number. Some times 40k and other, 60k. I put 50k as an average for my little number crunch. If it sells at 50k a week (PS3 higher then 360) then it will take ~110weeks to meet the 360's numbers. This is 2 years and 6 weeks. Basically, the PS3 wont beat the 360 until mid October of 2010. That is if neither get a boost in sales, but like Mr. Stickball said, both are in a dead lock.

Technically, Microsoft is winning the war. Of course, it's only winning becuase it has such a large lead on it's competitor. But even then it will come down to who makes more money. Sony can't really get into a price cut war, but should they care? They need to focus on making money. Mircosoft will burn though cash so it really doesn't matter; they'll do it anyway. Sony is trying to make money. Fanboys may proclaim that the 360 won, but winning/losing is irrelevant now (that and they are both fighting for 2nd). Sony needs to make money if they wish to continue to do so in the future.

Wait... you mean the PS3 hasn't gained any ground on the 360 since it released... the 360 has actually increased it's lead by over 350,000 units.  I honestly didn't know that.  That's pretty impressive, the 360 has been doing far better then I thought.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 11th Nov 2006 to 02nd Aug 2008:

Console
PS3
X360
Total 14,606,905

Yes.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

people are so dumb these days, xbox 360 outsold ps3 for the past few weeks because of the price cut, and the shortage of ps3's out there. btw, ps3 will pass xbox 360 by the end of 09.

It out sold them in 07... am confident it will out sell them this year, and next. And I think PS3 can pass 360 in total sales by Q3-Q4 09...

4 ≈ One