By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Article: "The problem with Sony".....what do you make of it?

Pristine20 said:

With your reasons for the ps3 failing to offer, you do realize that those problems are mostly a result of launching a year later in NA and 16 months late in EU right? It sounds like you're contradicting yourself. No way, the ps3 would have ever sat in discount bins like Hd-DVD movies because there are lots of people like me who are brand-loyal. I could make the claim that 10 mil out of the current 14 mil ps3'swere sold on brand loyalty. Especially in EU where the 360 is waaay cheaper, ps3 released 16 months late and has already caught up to the 360!

On topic, I have to agree with the analyst on the brand-loyalty sales because at the time of the ps3's launch, most people didn't really want to upgrade to a new HD format so you can't really say blu-ray sold many consoles. Even though there was a vastly superior line-up for a gamer on 360, people (like me) chose the ps3 because:

1. The name "playstation" is synonymous with gaming in my household not nintendo surprisingly

2. I became a true gamer with the advent of the ps1 and still play games from that generation. I needed 1 machine to play them all and offer me the potential of new experiences. I wasn't sold based on home or any online service because I've always been a jrpg fan first and never really played much of any other genre till this gen. COD4 is the first FPS I ever purchased and the first game I ever played online and for me, the PSN worked fine.

However, I have to agree with the analyst that sony went too far with the ps3 hardware tech. It was Krazy Ken's disease. He seemed so engulfed in releasing hardware more powerful than microsoft's that he lost all focus on what the made the empire he had built as great as it was. Perhaps this was because people kept showing how the xbox was more powerful than ps2. M$ sold a whole buch of xbox's just by proving that alone. As an engineer, it looks like his ego was at stake having products out there that were more powerful than his invention. Thus came the lust for tech prowress that is the ps3.

Personally, I think Kutaragi singlehandedy invigorated gaming and developed the greatest empire ever (hint: its called "playstation"). However, he also singlehandedly took it down by going crazy with the R&D without even bothering to report to his bosses.  Is it possible that he did this on purpose because they didn't make him CEO even when the PS brand was responsible for the vast majority of sony's profits back then? We will never know.

For me, I appreciate what Ken has done even though he failed on his 3rd attempt because he brought me the best games and entertainment I've had my entire life just like I still consider Zidane my favorite player ever despite his gaffe at the world cup. For this reason, I'll support PS till it ceases to exist or till I cease to enjoy gaming...whichever comes first!

I can't help but respect your approach to gaming here but also at the same time its one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard. I'm cool with brand loyalty as long as that brand offers the best experience for me. If that is no longer the case, the brand means nothing.

Sony microsoft and nintendo are all faceless corporations that employ 1000s of people. While Ken Kutaragi may decide on the business strategy for the playstation brand name...he doesn't have the slightest clue how the Cell works, how bluray works or how PS3 works.

So by respecting him, you are basically respecting sony price cuts, sony press releases and sony marketting strategies rather than sony products, sony games etc...

To appreciate people that made your precious Ps1, PS2 and PS3 and the games you love you have to respect the faceles engeneers and game designers that worked on it...hence why brand loyalty doesn't make any sense. Most of the people responsible for PS1, PS2 PS3 may not even be working at sony anymore...but toshiba or wherever instead. Maybe even microsoft...lol.

Around the Network

Oh, and if you disagree with me, you sir, are worse than Hitler.

kowenicki said:
DMeisterJ said:
lolz.

We've been having lots of "X console is doing horribly" posts and threads lately.

I just like how it says Sony is gonna stay in third place, and they don't see how PS3 made up 2.1 million units of ground on the 360 in seven months...

weird.

It has made up 2.1 million this year, thats true.... and yet the ps3 is no nearer the 360 than it was the day it launched 20 months ago.  Thats right... the PS3 has not pulled closer to the 360 after nearly 2 years.

Maybe the consoles are at different times in their life cycles..?  maybe the 360 will pull away again..? maybe not? maybe the trend will continue and the PS3 will pass the 360 late 2009..? maybe not...?

goto chartz then hardware from launch then eat some crow.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

The article is kind off biased although some points are true. However for the most part of it, it seems like it's written by a fanboy trying not to be a fanboy.

1) PS3 is doing bad due to a lot of countries being hit by recession and from the 3 consoles available, it is by far the most expensive.

2) I have heard this from various people; from family, friends, colleagues and investors. those wanting to buy a PS3 will not buy a PS3 until they have a HD TV. This again shows why a lot of potential PS3 customers still haven't switched over yet.

3) They had a shite marketing campaign on launch.

4) They lost so much money creating the damn thing, they can't afford to hold onto some of the big franchise games and they lose these games to MS.

5) having had the problems they did with the launch and delays of the PS3, they have lost considerable ground and allowed MS to take the lead.

However, the above being said:

1) The PS3 is gaining good momentum. The sales figures speak for themselves. Even having had a 1 year head start (USA and JAPAN) and 18months head start on UK and AUS, the 360 is only about 5.5 million units ahead.

2) Although the machine is more expensive then the 360, it is still selling good and the sales are continuously going up. Another price cut will probably see another burst in PS3 sales.

3) Many AAA games have been released (Motorsport, Resistance, GT5P, Uncharted) but the most anticipated ones are still to be released (KZ2, Resistance 2, GT5, Jak and Daxter, Motorstorm 2, GoW3). The release of these big gmaes will probably see another burst in sales.

4) Regardless of what people say about Blu-Ray, the format does kick ass. It is by far the greatest next gen format. It will take time for Sony to see profit from it, but they will see it eventually. Even with DVD, it happened gradually over time. People didn't want to lose their VHS collections overnight to a new format. The truth is, currently, the PS3 is the best value for money when it comes to Blu-ray players. It has by far the most functions.

******* WHAT SONY ARE GUILTY OFF ************

I cannot argue this, but the one thing Sony are guilt off is keeping people waiting. I don't think they are in a position to keep people waiting. With the PS1 yes, with the PS2 yes, but the PS3 no! They need to move quick and fast before they get wiped out by a MS cheque book lol

No-one's commented on the most outrageous thing in this post, i.e. the claim that Sony was shamed at E3 by both Ninty and M$. I seem to recall that last week, the posts held a pretty strong consensus that only the FFXIII announcement separated Sony from a comfortable victory. IMO, the R2 trailer alone was worth more than Ninty's entire conference!!

Games machines owned: C64*, NES, SNES*, PS1, PS2*, PS3* (*still own).

GREAT MOMENTS IN HUMAN HISTORY

12/9/2008 18:46 Australian CST - !!!I got my first trophy!!! Huzzah!!!

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Pristine20 said:

With your reasons for the ps3 failing to offer, you do realize that those problems are mostly a result of launching a year later in NA and 16 months late in EU right? It sounds like you're contradicting yourself. No way, the ps3 would have ever sat in discount bins like Hd-DVD movies because there are lots of people like me who are brand-loyal. I could make the claim that 10 mil out of the current 14 mil ps3'swere sold on brand loyalty. Especially in EU where the 360 is waaay cheaper, ps3 released 16 months late and has already caught up to the 360!

On topic, I have to agree with the analyst on the brand-loyalty sales because at the time of the ps3's launch, most people didn't really want to upgrade to a new HD format so you can't really say blu-ray sold many consoles. Even though there was a vastly superior line-up for a gamer on 360, people (like me) chose the ps3 because:

1. The name "playstation" is synonymous with gaming in my household not nintendo surprisingly

2. I became a true gamer with the advent of the ps1 and still play games from that generation. I needed 1 machine to play them all and offer me the potential of new experiences. I wasn't sold based on home or any online service because I've always been a jrpg fan first and never really played much of any other genre till this gen. COD4 is the first FPS I ever purchased and the first game I ever played online and for me, the PSN worked fine.

However, I have to agree with the analyst that sony went too far with the ps3 hardware tech. It was Krazy Ken's disease. He seemed so engulfed in releasing hardware more powerful than microsoft's that he lost all focus on what the made the empire he had built as great as it was. Perhaps this was because people kept showing how the xbox was more powerful than ps2. M$ sold a whole buch of xbox's just by proving that alone. As an engineer, it looks like his ego was at stake having products out there that were more powerful than his invention. Thus came the lust for tech prowress that is the ps3.

Personally, I think Kutaragi singlehandedy invigorated gaming and developed the greatest empire ever (hint: its called "playstation"). However, he also singlehandedly took it down by going crazy with the R&D without even bothering to report to his bosses.  Is it possible that he did this on purpose because they didn't make him CEO even when the PS brand was responsible for the vast majority of sony's profits back then? We will never know.

For me, I appreciate what Ken has done even though he failed on his 3rd attempt because he brought me the best games and entertainment I've had my entire life just like I still consider Zidane my favorite player ever despite his gaffe at the world cup. For this reason, I'll support PS till it ceases to exist or till I cease to enjoy gaming...whichever comes first!

I can't help but respect your approach to gaming here but also at the same time its one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard. I'm cool with brand loyalty as long as that brand offers the best experience for me. If that is no longer the case, the brand means nothing.

Sony microsoft and nintendo are all faceless corporations that employ 1000s of people. While Ken Kutaragi may decide on the business strategy for the playstation brand name...he doesn't have the slightest clue how the Cell works, how bluray works or how PS3 works.

So by respecting him, you are basically respecting sony price cuts, sony press releases and sony marketting strategies rather than sony products, sony games etc...

To appreciate people that made your precious Ps1, PS2 and PS3 and the games you love you have to respect the faceles engeneers and game designers that worked on it...hence why brand loyalty doesn't make any sense. Most of the people responsible for PS1, PS2 PS3 may not even be working at sony anymore...but toshiba or wherever instead. Maybe even microsoft...lol.

I really don't want to go full moon on this one but as the CEO of a division, you're responsible for what comes out of it. If he doesn't know how blu-ray works or anything about the cell's architecture, that only puts more blame on his head. My sole reason for respecting him is for his original invention the "playstation" because it was generally his idea not sony as a whole or anyone else there for that matter. I was always just a casual gamer who just stopped by my friend's house to play Killer Instinct. His invention has provided countless hours of entertainment for me and even a game as old as Legend of Dragoon rivals MGS4 with the amount of enjoyment I'm getting from playing it. Sure, many have moved on from the old generations and I may sound ridiculous but I'm not done yet and probably never will be lol.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Onimusha12 said:
Sony shot itself in the foot by trying to gobble up the Xbox's Hardcore market to eliminate Microsoft as potential contendor this generation. In turn they created a console so westernized that it has virtually no appeal in Japan and everywhere else is unable to beat Microsoft at its own game. Sony had let Microsoft lure it onto their home turf.

Sony shot itself in the foot by making a console that was too expensive, too over-engineered to compete realistically in the market.

The online strategy means nothing for the PS3, only the 360 benefits from a prime online strategy because its demographic relishes such aspects. You all seem to think the PS3 and 360 are sharing the same market, but while the 360 appeals to the 15-25 year old internet-savy jock gamer crowd, the PS3 really largely appeals to the much older 25-40 year old demographic of financially stabilizing adults who either want to own the "best" (most powerful) product of its respective market or own a Blu-Ray player or the HD console that they're told is the most ideal for their new $15,000 1080i wide screen TV. They really don't play that many games and don't really consider video gaming much of a passion.

The 360 has become the hardcore gamer console of choice while the PS3 is becoming a luxury necessity in the same right as HD TVs.

15,000 dollar TVs?  ROFL.  Take it from someone who lives at best buy, you can buy a 1080p TV (or 720 for that matter) for far less than 15,000 dollars.  I hope that was an exaggeration, not sheer stupidity.

Next time you make a point, try getting your facts straight.

And lol at PS3 being a luxury necessity at fifty bucks more expensive than the 360.  Yeah, so much of a luxury.

Just don't reply.  You're wrong, and make no sense.  Leave this thread while you have an ounce of respect and a shred of dignity left.

@Pristine20

Yeah, thats cool...I understand that as I was the same way with sega. Got master system, genesis saturn and finally dreamcast. Even thought the people who were responsible for the Sega brilliance and who made the cool games i liked had left after 1996... I supported them all the way.

But after sega died...now brand name means nothing to me. :)
Unless sega makes another console ofcourse...and fires their whole gaming division...and purchases bungie, Insomniac and Ifinity Ward to make games instead...

I would take the article a little more seriously if the writer went back to the third grade and studied the difference between "its" and "it's".

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

disolitude said:
@Pristine20

Yeah, thats cool...I understand that as I was the same way with sega. Got master system, genesis saturn and finally dreamcast. Even thought the people who were responsible for the Sega brilliance and who made the cool games i liked had left after 1996... I supported them all the way.

But after sega died...now brand name means nothing to me. :)
Unless sega makes another console ofcourse...and fires their whole gaming division...and purchases bungie, Insomniac and Ifinity Ward to make games instead...

That must be really sad for you. Back then, I had the mindset that games were for kids and I was a mature person wannabe lol.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler